Priceline Hotel: Manhattan for $100 / a night possible?

dharmainitiative
By dharmainitiative,
in

Hello everyone. I've used this board for a couple trips. Thanks to all for the great advice. I'm planning a trip to NYC this July (11-15 / Friday through Tuesday). I'm trying to find out if it is possible to budget a priceline hotel for $100 a night ($100 plus fees per night would be okay). I'm familiar with the concepts of free re-bid zones and don't mind splitting my bid into Friday/Saturday and Sunday/Monday if it will help. I've also scanned my dates on hotwire (4* $192 MTE was available, seems to have disappeared for the time being, now showing 4* Central Park $219).

My question is: I'm not a very picky traveller and would trade down to a 2.5/3* to save some $$$. I've stayed at the Comfort Inn Midtown. That was fine. I'd even prefer a neighborhood stay like UES or UWS, or Soho over the more touristy areas. I see 4* wins, dependent on dates, down to $120. Is it possible to get $100/ a night if I'm willing to sacrifice star level? Or do you have to bid to at least $120 regardless of star level and then priceline upgrades you to a 4* when you hit the right price? Anyone saving money going with a 3 star manhattan hotel?

You may have a chance at a 3*, but it is rare to see 3* or 4* hotels in NYC for under $100/nite.

However, there are a few things in your favor for this stay... summer is one of the slowest times in NYC and with the current economic conditions we may see business travel slow down even further, which would likely make the opaque deals get even better.

I still think $100 is a bit of a stretch for a 3* or better hotel, but it has happened, and the conditions may be right to see it again during this seasonaly slow period (which may be even slower than usual).

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks. I would even consider a 2.5* hotel? The only thing I wouldn't want is a hotel with shared bathrooms which some new york city hotels seem to have at certain service levels. But, scanning the NYC priceline hotel list I don't see anything alarming. Does priceline even work with hotels like that? It seems like they wouldn't due to the severe backlash that would occur from customers?

Also, In your expert opinion (yes, I think you would be considered an expert :) ) :

Do you think I have a better chance of getting a cheaper average nightly rate by splitting my hotel request into Friday/Saturday and Sunday/Monday? Or in your experience is that not always the case, it just works sometimes?

All priceline rooms have a private bath.

SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID won't hurt, but i would incorporate that into a bidding strategy... and would also try splitting Fri-Mon and then Mon-Tues in hopes of grouping together the weekend nites with the Sunday nite... asusming you're willing to change hotels for just one nite (the last nite). However, i'll also add that if you can stretch your budget another $20 per nite it may make a big different interms of your success and/or the quality of the hotel you receive.

Are you flying or taking the train? If so, what time is your flight/train back (and where do you leave from)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Ah. Flying in, but not into Laguardia or JFK. So probably taking a train/bus into the city. Coming on Skybus out of Columbus, OH. I need to figure out my transportation options into the city. We fly into some small airport about an hour out of the city. But, for $10 flights each way, I can't complain. It's going to be the cheapest long weekend in NYC as far as getting to and from. We have an 11:30am flight out, so probably going to be an early morning getting an hour out of the city to the airport. I'll try that Friday-Monday grouping and Monday-Tuesday by itself. I don't plan on bidding for a little while.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]