Priceline Hotel: Help please - NYC midtown

SK524
By SK524,
in

Hello, hoping for some assistance in finding a hotel for June 9 - 13 (Monday to Friday).

First off, I have read your pros and cons for bidding early, but I'm still wondering if this is way too early? (3+ months in advance)

Anyway, here's what we're looking for:

- anywhere on Manhattan (but Upper East/West would be last choice). Midtown West first choice I suppose.

- up to $150/night before taxes for 3* or 4* (is this possible?)

- prefer to pay lower price and get a 3* than more for a 4* (eg. if I can get a 3* for $100 as opposed to a 4* for $150, I'd prefer the 3*. However if my choice is $115 for 3* vs. $125 for 4*, would prefer the 4*. Hope that made sense?)

- I do not want to split my bid

If this time of year (2nd week of June) is unusually expensive and I'm being unrealistic with my top bid expectation, please do set me straight! (I'm hoping since we are not including a weekend, that will help us?)

Was going to try to figure out my own strategy but have learned from experience that your advice is really quite invaluable! I really appreciate it, thanks in advance.

Sherry

Judging by the prices I'm seeing, I think $150 is going to be unrealistic. Board moderator thereuare will likely be able to better inform you about this time of the year in NYC; I'm just saying that $150 is going to be unrealistic based upon what I'm seeing at this point. Retail prices for hotels on these dates are primarily $350-400+ in NYC.

Thanks for the feedback Aaron. I thought that might be tough, but maybe possible for a 3*?

Will check out the RW hotel you mentioned, but may still try my luck with bidding and possibly getting something for less in a little while.

thanks

Sherry

... or if I am just asking for help too early?
As per THIS THREAD i was away on vacation.

In regards to your stay above, $150 is probably not likely going to be enough for a 4* hotel for these dates. Do you have a back-up reservation anywhere? Where would you stay, and how much would it cost, if you're not successful with the opaque providers?

Please use these PRICELINE or HOTWIRE links ot begin any purchases you make.

Let us know the above and we'll advise accordingly.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Hi thereuare; sorry about that -- hope you had a great vacation!

I kind of figured $150 wouldn't get me a 4*, but to be honest I'm sure a 3* would meet our needs -- we don't really need to be somewhere too opulent; I'd rather spend more money on entertainment etc., than lodging anyway, and we typically go for basic accommodations when we travel. Last time we were in NYC (2003) we stayed at the Belvedere, and were more than happy with it -- and I think that's only a 2.5* on Priceline?

Yes I did book a backup a few days ago, as I know you always recommend that. Wanted to not pay too much above $200 but still be in a good location, so booked the Comfort Inn Midtown for $238 - with good reviews, great location, and free breakfast I thought it was a decent deal; looks not bad even though it's (I think) just a 2*.

I would be satisfied to stay there, but I think if I could get something for under $200 by booking through Priceline for a 3*, it would be worth it for the risks of being opaque, non-refundable, etc. So I'd still like to at least try.

All that being said - would there be any zones I should stay away from when bidding for 3*?

Thanks so much in advance. And yes I'll definitely use your PRICELINE link.

...so booked the Comfort Inn Midtown for $238...

Please note, as per our support page, we are an affiliate of the Comfort Inn, as well as most other major hotel chains. Please use the links there for your hotel direct reservations as well.

In regards to your PRICELINE bidding, I assume you only want to bid the midtown zones... or did you also want to include Downtown?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks thereuare -- sorry, I didn't realize you were an affiliate for those hotels as well. I actually booked over the phone directly with the hotel but am watching the rates and will re-book if they drop, and will definitely use your link. (However, if I end up cancelling the booking due to a priceline bid, do you still end up benefiting? not sure how it works.) Will for sure use your PRICELINE link when ready to bid though.

To answer your question, yes I would include Downtown, but as a last choice.

Now, the more I think about it the more I suspect I'll probably end up with a 3* win, based on how much I want to pay, which will be fine (will still try my luck with 4* to start with, but only to a certain $ limit, maybe $190.)

That being said, I know you occasionally warn against some potential 3*s. Are there any zones I should avoid, based on your list (which I understand does not necessarily reflect all possibilities), so as not to risk getting a certain undesireable hotel?

Are there any here that would warrant me avoiding the zone entirely?

For me there isn't any zone that i would avoid entirely, but there are hotels within each zone that are better/worse than others... you need to be prepared for a very small room; you may get a hotel with 'normal' sized rooms, but you need to prepare yourself for a shoebox. With that said, NYC is also an area where i recommend getting the highest quality hotel you can afford with having to cut corners in the entertainment budget of your trip.

Please also confirm/clarify you're preferences:

4* at $170 or less

3* at ???

If you're rejected for the midtown locations at the 4* level, did you then want to try for a 3* in the midtown areas or for a 4* Downtown?

Let us know if you're ready to begin bidding and we'll suggst a strategy for you to follow.

Thanks very much for the warnings on room sizes. Given your recommendation on that, and on getting the best quality I can afford, here's what I think I'd like to try. Please recommend otherwise if this does not seem like a good route; you are the expert:

1. Try for 4* up to $180 in Midtown

2. Try for 3* up to $160 in Midtown (or more? If I can't get a 4* for $180, might I have to go that high for a 3*?)

3. Add Downtown; not sure what prices you'd suggest.

If my price limits are not realistic, please please let me know. Also, I'm prepared to be patient, as my trip is still 3 months away and I have a backup... if you suggest I try up to a certain amount then wait a week & try again if it doesn't work, that is fine with me. Also if you suggest I wait until first thing Sunday morning, or midnight on Monday or something I will do that too! (Not sure if there is a preferred time of day/week for bidding)

Thanks again for all your time and patience with me. I will use your PRICELINE link for bidding.

Sherry

At the 4* level you have four re-bid zones... three re-bid zones at the 3* level. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 4* MTE and MTW...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $135, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* UM/CPS and Times Square...

Bid $135, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTS...

Select 4* MTE and UM/CPS...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $150, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $155, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTS and MTW...

Bid $155, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* Times Square and MTE...

Select 4* MTE and MTS...

Bid $160, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $165, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $170, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $175, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTW and UM/CPS...

Bid $175, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTS and Times Square..

Select 4* MTE and MTW and UM/CPS and Times Square and MTS and Downtown...

Bid $180

If the above is rejected you can close browser and repeat at the 3* level. (note that you have one less re-bid zone, so make sure you 'drop' the right one)

If 3* is also rejected, we'll then discuss adding the Downtown zone.

Thanks for using our PRICELINE link to begin your bidding.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

Thanks so much. I did not have time to try this out last night but will try tonight or tomorrow.

I am fairly certain I understand re-bid zones but can you confirm:

4* - Brooklyn, Long Island City, UES, UWS

3* - Long Island City, UES, UWS

Also I see you're suggesting I start with MTE and MTW... as I'd prefer MTW over MTE (for proximity to theatres), is there any reason why I shouldn't try for MTW and the re-bid zones on their own, without MTE? Not sure if I understand why each bidding cycle begins with 2 options and not just one? (I do trust your recommendations, just want to make sure I understand them!)

thanks again,

Sherry

Yes, you have your re-bid zones correct.

I used two zones for each cycle so that the bidding process would go faster, since even when starting with two zones you're easily able to reach your maximum bid amount. Yes, you can start with just MTW, then try just MTE, then proceed with th rest of the strategy. As well, within each section, you can start with the pair which includes MTW (if we're not being clear on this let us know and we'll explain it further)

Thanks in advance for using our PRICELINE link to begin your bidding.

Any other questions feel free to ask.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Thanks for the explanation; makes sense.

I have gone through the full strategy you provided for the 4*s, up to $190, only changing some of the zone combinations / order in a few spots. But I am pretty sure I didn't miss any possible bids. (Used your PRICELINE link)

But... no luck so far. Time for bed; will repeat strategy with 3* tomorrow and report back!

thanks

Sherry

Hello again,

I've tried the strategy for 3* up to $175; no luck. Rather than adding downtown at this point I think I'll wait a week and try again next weekend and see what happens. Unless you think I should maybe just wait until April or May?

thanks for your help for now... will report back once I'm successful!

Sherry

Yes, you can wait before adding downtown if you'd prefer to try the above again in the coming weeks.

However, we do recommend you find a fully cancellable back-up hotel just in case rates go up instead of down.

Use our BetterChecker to assist in your rate search, and i'd also suggest Quickbook (where i saw the Beekman Tower for $263/nite) as well as Last Minute Travel.

Keep us update and let us know how we can help further.

Thanks, will do.

I do have a refundable backup worth $238 in a really good location with breakfast included... so my Priceline goal is to at least get below $200 -- preferably under $175, ideally $150 or so. I do suspect this will put us in a 3*, if anything. This is fine with me; I'd rather pay less for a good hotel than more for a great hotel. That being said... should I even be bothering trying for 4* or should I just concentrate on 3*?

Thanks again so much for your help. Hope you are not getting too sick of me!

What is your back-up hotel?

... should I even be bothering trying for 4* or should I just concentrate on 3*?
It depends how much time you want to devote to bidding and how discourged you will get from rejected bids... there's no harm in bidding for a 4*, but i think your chances are low.

• 3 weeks later...

hi again,

I decided to take a break from bidding but now that our trip is 2 months away I figured I'd start again. Just thought I'd check in to make sure... should I follow the same strategy you provided to me, or change anything? (now that I'm bidding 2 months before and not 3)

I will still try my luck with a 4* but fully expect that this will end with a 3* win which is perfectly fine, as my backup is $238/night (Comfort Inn Midtown, good location, breakfast included) so obviously we don't need anything too fancy! Ideally I'd like to get something for $180 or less, and the savings are more important to me than getting a 4*. Our total stay is about $1,100 with taxes and I'd love to save at least $200 off that.

thanks!

Well, I didn't expect much of this but decided to give it a try, starting low "just in case" since it had been a while... followed your strategy with some omissions:

Bid combinations of MTE, MTW, TS, CPS, 4*, from $120 - 180 with no luck (expected that) (Decided to not include MTS for now)

Bid MTE & MTW, 3*, from $120 - 150 with no luck. (Read a bunch of reviews for hotels you've listed as won in these areas and have decided to stick with E & W when bidding 3*, for now anyway)

Also I went up in $10 increments instead of $5 just to save time; I figure at most I'll lose out on a possible $20 savings, which is worth the time saved to me!

Will try again on the weekend, starting a bit higher.

thanks

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]