Priceline Hotel: Help with NYC 5/9-11

rmsmith
By rmsmith,
in

Never used priceline before, I've been reading this forum for about a month and i believe i get how it works in regards to rebidding and adding free zones. But now it's time for a trip.

Want 4* MTE, MTW, Times Square, MTS, and Downtown Soho FD are the areas i wish to stay in.

Will be travelling with my wife and my daughter will be 10 months at the time of travel.

Any recommendations pertaining to hotel, price and bidding would be greatly appreciated since I have not seen any posts for stays near these dates.

prefer around 200 absolute max 250 (including tax, fees, etc.)

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Want 4* MTE, MTW, Times Square, MTS, and Downtown Soho FD are the areas i wish to stay in.
Are you familar with NYC and/or have any need to stay in the Downtown zone? It's often a bit less expensive than midtown, but it's not as convenient either. It's certainly do-able, but if you plan on doing mostly 'touristy' things, i think midtown would be a much better location, especially with a 10 month old.

Let us know if you want to include this area or not and we'll suggest a strategy to follow.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

My wife and i spent a weekend in NYC in 2006 (middle of December ,stayed at the San Carlos) so we are vaguely familiar with NYC. We usually use mass transit on vacation(even though we are from Atlanta and mass transit is abysmal here) so i don't think downtown would be any problem for us.

I do have one question about that though. How long is the subway ride from downtown to central park? Just curious.

How long is the subway ride from downtown to central park?

From where most of the Downtown hotels are i would guess about 25 minutes... but keep in mind that most NYC subways don't have elevators (some do) and the steps can get to be a hassle after a few trips (not sure if you intend to 'bjorn' or take a stroller)

While taking the subway is inevitable, midtown may be easier as you should be able to walk to many things that you may likely do... but it's your stay/vacation so only you can decide what is best for your needs.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

oh yes i remember that now. Baby Bjorn if she'll stay in it, I think a stroller in NYC might get a little crowded. plus i work for an airline and flying standby so who knows what flight we will be able to catch so i don't want the stroller going around the carousel at LGA with us still in ATL.

Personally i think you'll want a stroller in NYC since there's so much walking, we use ours all the time (and i prefer it to the bjorn, which i'm not a fan of).

Anyway, decide which zones you want to include and we'll take it from there. (i assume you'll be able at least determine the day you fly standby or are willing to risk losing the hotel stay if you can't get on a flight?)

Yeah the Bjorn does dig into my back after a few hours. might look into a good umbrella stroller. So I think we are looking at MTE, MTW, TS, MTS and also Upper midtown/CP south.

Oh and yes, we can actually pick the flight we standby for, if we don't make it then we get rolled over to the next, but since there are flights from ATL to LGA every 30 min(i guess it is obvious which one i work for?) and I can also view seat availability for every flight so will be able to make a good judgment on what flight to try for.

At the 4* level you have 2 re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 4* MTW...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $130, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTE...

Bid $130, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* Times Square...

Select 4* UM/CPS...

Select 4* MTS...

Select 4* MTE and MTW...

Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $145, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* Times Square and UM/CPS...

Bid $145, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTS and MTE...

Select 4* MTE and Times Square...

Bid $150, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $155, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $160, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTW and UM/CPS...

Bid $160, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTS and MTW...

Select 4* MTE and UM/CPS...

Bid $165, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $170, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $175, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTW and Times Square...

Bid $175, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTS and Times Square...

Select 4* MTE and MTW and Times Square...

Bid $180, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $185, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $190, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTS and UM/CPS and Times Square...

Bid $180, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $185, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $190, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* Times Square and MTW and UM/CPS...

Bid $195, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $200, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $205, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTE and MTW and MTS...

Bid $195, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $200, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $205, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* Times Square and MTW and UM/CPS and MTE and MTS...

Bid $210, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $215, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $220.

The above should get you clsoe to $250 'all-in'. I suspect you don't a realistic chance until you get close to or north of $200/nite, but you have the re-bids so might as well give the lower bids a shot.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Godo Luck and let us know how it goes.

Thanks, will let you know how the bidding goes. one more thing, do you know if 4* usually have refrigerators? Need one but not absolutely necessary for the baby's formula.

sorry about that, had a brain storm after the post and called several of the 4* on the priceline list and they have mini bars that will be sufficient for the formula.

Thanks dahammer,

Sadly my daughter is on elecare 24 calorie per oz (instead of the usual 20 cal/oz) so we have to mix 21 oz of water to 1 cup elecare powder. A nuisance sometimes and quite expensive! So we have to use pitchers. i do believe i've figured out how much per bottle(3 1/2 oz bottles) seems like it's going to be 1.3 tblsp. But enough about that! this is a travel forum!!!

• 3 weeks later...

NYC trip cancelled.

Well after much planning our trip is canceled. Dr. advised against traveling very far, and against air travel completely since we do not have confirmed seats on a flight. Now we are looking at Savannah since that is only about a 4 hr drive and can quickly get to the Dr. if necessary. I will post in the PRICELINE Georgia section with any success on that trip. (using PRICELINE on that trip also)

Thanks for everyones help it is greatly appreciated. Maybe we can try NYC again soon.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$10 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: SAVEMORE

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $100+ purchase... expires 05/19/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]