By tex winter,
in

Hotwire has set up a new area:

Northwest Portland - Goose Hollow

They have the following hotel listed:

3-star hotel

It has these amenities:

Complimentary Breakfast <amenity names only please... not descriptions>

Fitness Center Guests have access to exercise equipment; an additional charge may apply.

Business Center Guests have access to business equipment and services; an additional charge may apply.

Laundry Facilities <amenity names only please... not descriptions>

High-speed Internet Access Guestrooms are equipped with high-speed Internet access; an extra charge may apply.

The rate is $114/night for a stay from 2/29/08 - 3/1/08

It may be this place:

Inn at Northrup Station

Can anyone please provide further insight?

Or it could be this place, the former Hotel Mallory

It looks to be just inside the border of this new area distinction by Hotwire.

The Inn @ Northrup Station and the Hotel deLuxe are both within this zone's boundaries, but neither is a match for the listed amenities (they don't offer a complementary breakfast). My best guess for this hotel is the Silver Cloud Inn Portland Downtown. This hotel was once available as a 2.5* hotel in Priceline's Northwest Portland zone, but Priceline recently stopped allowing 2.5* bidding in this zone; perhaps the Silver Cloud decided to switch over to Hotwire to sell its rooms.

Are those the complete set of amenities HOTWIRE is associating with this property OR are you searching for more than one room or for more than the defaults 2adults/0children?

Searching HOTWIRE for your dates i see a 3* hotel in this zone, but it has more amenities than you've posted above, and is nearly half the price.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I also see a 3* in the Gresham Northwest zone for $55; is that the one you're looking at?

Oh... Portland, Oregon :) Actually, i was looking at the Gresham property, thank you for pointing that out and correcting me.

The HOTWIRE property above has not yet been identified, but my best guess is the Holiday Inn Express (at 2333 NW VAUGHN STREET).

Please use this HOTWIRE link to begin any purchases you make.

Let us know how it goes or if we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for the research. I am not sure about it being the Holiday Inn Express, because on on Holiday Inn Express' website, they list an indoor pool, and no pool is listed for the property on Hotwire, if that means anything.

If it is the Holiday Inn, the rate their is $175.00/night for that weekend.

I will kindly effort to use the links if I make the reservation.

Actually those icons could describe the Silver Cloud OR Holiday Inn Express. It's up to tex winter to settle the question now. If you buy something, tex, don't forget to let us know which hotel you get.

I plugged in various random dates on HOTWIRE to see if I could bring up any other hotels in Goose Hollow-Northwest zone besides this one. No luck. Whichever dates I try I get the same 3* icons or "nothing available".

Then the Silver Cloud it is!

Thanks for all of the input.

I have not dedcided what to do. If it is the Silver Cloud, the rack rate is $149.

The AAA discounted rate is $116.

I am holding out hope that rates drop a bit more before the weekend.

Even the Jupiter is $75/night for these dates, which is a discount, it is just what I am used to paying for a 4* property.

Have you considered using Priceline? I've found that you can get far bigger discounts on Portland hotels through Priceline than through Hotwire, particularly when booking this close to the check-in date. If you haven't yet found a deal that you like on Hotwire (or on a hotel website), it's extremely unlikely that one will suddenly appear in the next few days.

tex winter,

Is Northwest/Goose Hollow the only area of Portland you want? The Holiday Inn Express shows sold out now...more evidence that the 3* on Hotwire must be the Silver Cloud.

tilepusher,

Do you have an opinion what the 2* in Priceline's Northwest zone is? Did the Silver Cloud get downgraded from 2.5* to 2*? Or is it the Holiday Inn Express? La Quinta?

I doubt that the Silver Cloud was downgraded to 2* unless the hotel didn't want to be the only 2.5* in the area. However, given the lack of reported wins for this hotel in recent years, it's unlikely that lack of opacity was an issue (come to think of it, when was the last time you saw a reported win for any Silver Cloud hotel?). I don't think it's a coincidence that this new zone appeared on Hotwire just weeks after Priceline dropped 2.5* bidding from Northwest Portland. I'm guessing that the Silver Cloud switched to Hotwire because the rates they were looking for on Name Your Own Price just couldn't compete with the discounts offered by other hotels in the Portland area.

As for the 2*, it looks like the Holiday Inn Express and La Quinta are the only possibilities. Since both appear on the retail site, it's really a toss-up. It's possible that both hotels are available through NYOP.

Thanks, tilepusher. Next time I'm in Portland I plan to try bidding in Northwest. Will report back if I get anything.

I won Silver Cloud on Priceline when it was 2.5*, but that was a long time ago...maybe 3-4 years ago. I haven't noticed any recent Silver Cloud reports either, in Portland or Seattle.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]