Priceline Hotel: Help April 4-6

NashPreds
By NashPreds,
in

Welcome to the board. :)

Unfortunately, I think this may be a tough weekend for a cheap hotel, as there are a couple of conventions in town taking up rooms.

I would recommend bidding $115 for a 4* in the River North/NMA area.

If you continue to get rejected bids and don't mind a well-located 3*, the Club Quarters Wacker/Michigan (there are two locations, make sure it's this one) is $126.50 on Orbitz.com Use coupon FABSAV15 to get $15 (not much, but it's something, I guess) off the final total. The Club Quarters is right by the river, across from Michigan Ave. bridge.

The Club Quarters is also $126.50 on Hotels.com. Can't use a coupon on Hotels.com, but won't be charged a cancelation fee, either (although I would highly recommend reading the cancelation policy for that specific hotel just to confirm.)

This CQ does get mostly good reviews on tripadvisor. It's not ritzy, but it does boast a solid location.

If you continue to not be accepted on Priceline, you could book the CQ on Hotels.com and then wait to see if any other deals come along. If they do, you can cancel the CQ; if not, at least you have a room.

If you are willing to go to $229, let me see if I can find anything better. Be right back. I believe it's in part due to a convention taking place on these dates. Plus, people are getting deals in Feb and March; once there's even the hint of better weather, Chicago hotel prices jump.

I looked at the Radisson. I'm thinking that Club Quarters is a little nicer and closer to Navy Pier. Altho while we are in town we're going to the Blackhawks game and I want to get tickets to a Cubs game as well. Thinking of doing an afternoon segway tour. I'm going to probably book Club Quarters today since Priceline isn't giving me a 4* for less than $175.

Please use our Orbitz or Hotels.com link for which ever way you choose to book.

I'll also add the Whitehall is available for $158/nite thru GTA Hotels, it gets some mixed reviews but AaronJB can comment better on that, i believe he thinks the location is very good (iirc).

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I plan to use Orbitz and use the promotion code that Aaron posted above to get $15 off. Now if I can just figure out the CTA system and how far I'm going to have to pull my luggage down the street, I'll be doing good!

I looked at the Radisson. I'm thinking that Club Quarters is a little nicer and closer to Navy Pier. Altho while we are in town we're going to the Blackhawks game and I want to get tickets to a Cubs game as well. Thinking of doing an afternoon segway tour. I'm going to probably book Club Quarters today since Priceline isn't giving me a 4* for less than $175.

I'd go with the CQ (make sure it's the Wacker/Michigan Ave. one), as that's superbly located and I am surprised it's not more, given the rates that I'm seeing. There is also a Corner Bakery outside of it, which is a great place to pick up a quick meal.

I'd book the CQ, then keep bidding on Priceline (although I wouldn't go as high as $175; I'd start bidding again at $100 and slowly work my way up towards $150.) Maybe as it gets closer to the dates something will open up. If not, at least you have the CQ.

Additionally, I wouldn't recommend planning much time at Navy Pier. Lets just say, when you look up "tourist trap" on Wikipedia, Navy Pier is on that list. I'd much rather recommend heading up to the (free) zoo.

If you want Cubs tickets, I would highly recommend making sure that you are there online to order them when they go on sale, as games will either sell out or good tickets will be gone quickly. Early April games probably (although no guarantees!) not sell out, but good seats will likely go fast. A few days after tickets go on sale, most games are either sold out or limited seating.

If you need any help with directions or any other things, please don't hesitate to ask here and I'll do my best to answer them.

If you are coming from either airport, it is not a far walk from a CTA station to the CQ. Let me know what airport you are arriving at and I'd be happy to provide detailed directions. If you have not booked tickets yet, I will say it is a quicker trip into the city from Midway than O'hare.

We will be flying from Nashville to Midway--Southwest $59 one way! I called Club Quarters to inquire about early check-in to which they told me they would upgrade me to a California King and also store my luggage if our room wasn't ready. I'm impressed already!

The lady told me to get off on Randolph or State off the orange line and walk to the CQ, 5 minutes. I will be sure to pack lightly as I don't want to walk forever with bags. ha If you recommend State over Randolph please let me know. Thanks. Do you know anything about the segway tours? Worth the $70 per person? I'm also thinking of taking Chad to the Hancock Observatory for a drink on the 94th(?) floor.

Thanks for your help...I apprecaite anymore info/recommendations for a birthday surprise for a sports nut.

If you need any help with directions or any other things, please don't hesitate to ask here and I'll do my best to answer them.

If you are coming from either airport, it is not a far walk from a CTA station to the CQ. Let me know what airport you are arriving at and I'd be happy to provide detailed directions. If you have not booked tickets yet, I will say it is a quicker trip into the city from Midway than O'hare.

The Hancock Observatory/Signature Room is a nice idea to check out the view, but I wouldn't have a meal there. One meal suggestion instead is to take him to former Cub's announcer Harry Caray's restaurant, which is only a short walk from the CQ.

Both CTA stops are about equal distance from the hotel, but State is a little more scenic - it's next to the Chicago theatre. You can see the station here (so you'll know what to look for): http://chicago-l.org/stations/state-lake.html

It will not take 5 minutes to walk from the CTA stop to your hotel. It's only a matter of about 2-3 blocks.

There is a very nice Italian restaurant called Trattoria Ten, not far from your hotel. I haven't tried this myself, but they have a contact form you fill out and they'll send you a $10 GC.

http://www.trattoriaten.com/contact_form.html

There's also an ESPN zone, but I'd guess that's the kind of thing he's probably seen before. I've heard good things about the Segway tours, but $70 bucks seems a little hefty to me. Additionally, while the first week of April is generally fairly nice, it can sometimes be brisk or rainy. There is a bar called Slugger's by Wrigley Field; they have batting cages in the bar, as well; that's a little more of a "local" place than ESPN zone. I went there as a kid and it's still there.

You two may also have fun at the 10-pin (http://www.10pinchicago.com/), which is a very modern bowling alley across the river in the House of Blues complex. They have video screens above the lanes, a full bar and waitresses that serve high-end snacks at the lanes.

The two main boat tours - Wendella and the Chicago Architecture Tours - leave from opposite sides of the Michigan Ave. bridge - which is right across from your hotel.

You could also take a tour of Soldier Field - http://www.soldierfield.net/onsiteStadiumTour.aspx

As for Cubs tix:

A virtual waiting room will be used for all Internet orders.

The virtual waiting room at cubs.com will begin accepting customers at 9:30 a.m. CT on Friday, February 22nd.

At 10:00 a.m., customers will be randomly selected from the virtual waiting room to start buying tickets

I'd strongly suggest trying to buy tickets in advance.

I'm checking craigslist/ebay/stubhub for Cubs tix. I am hoping a season ticket holder won't be able to make the game and wants to sell. Thank you for all the great ideas and suggestions.

Do you think I should purchase a 3-day visitor pass for the CTA? I think it will take me anywhere I want to go except United Center for the Blackhawks game.

Definitely go right to the United Center and right back; it's not the greatest of areas.

In terms of going up to Wrigley, if you want to stop somewhere in the nearby neighborhood to eat breakfast at a wonderful local place, I'd go to Ann Sather (http://annsather.com/restaurants/breakfast.shtml - menu). That place is great; it's been there for ages and is a local favorite. You'll take the Red Line subway from Lake (see below) up to Belmont. Ann Sather is just a little bit East of that station on Belmont. After you're done you can get back on the train and head a few stops North to Addison. The only problem with Ann Sather? You probably won't feel like eating much at the ballpark - portions at Ann Sather are hefty. If you get an Omlette, for example, it comes with their famed cinnamon rolls, which are some serious cinnamon rolls.

Wrigley's in a fun area - you could definitely go there early and stay a little later. Take the CTA to Wrigley; don't try to cab it. You'll get on at the Lake St subway station: http://www.chicago-l.org/stations/lake.html and head Northbound to the Red Line Addison Stop. Wrigley's a block or two West of that stop. I'd go early - if your game is at 1:20, I'd get there about 11:45a, for example (so around 90 minutes early). Grab some lunch, take in the atmosphere of the neighborhood. It's a nice area to stroll around. They will open the gates early and you can get in before the rest of the crowds line up. Towards the end of the game, I'd either:

1. Leave a little bit before the game's over to beat the crowds to the train.

2. After the game head to a local bar (like Sluggers) and wait out the crowds as they head to the train.

When you take the Red Line from Lake up to Addison, at one point the train comes up from the underground and goes the rest of the way above-ground. It's a neat moment.

A 3-day CTA pass is a good idea, although you don't need to get it until you get here - there should be a machine at Midway's station.

You could go to a broker for tickets, but for an early April game, I really don't think that'll be necessary. The tickets go on sale on 2/22 online and by phone. If you can't get a seat that you want at that time, then I'd investigate other options. The early April games generally don't sell *as* quickly as the Summer games.

Thanks for leading me to the CQ Wacker when you did, I checked Orbitz this am and the price has gone from $129 to $219!!! I also noticed Hotel SAX has gone from $229 to $269--do the rates go up closer to booking dates? Appreciate you saving me some $$. I don't think I'm going to try priceline as I don't want to pay the $25 cancel fee.

Hotels in Chicago from January-March are cheap, but once April starts, it's generally anything goes and if you're coming on dates where demand is the least bit high, hotel prices can be absolutely ridiculous. It is not uncommon at all for rates to jump like you saw. I can't tell you how many people I've recommended hotels to, but then they decided they could wait to see if rates went down. 99% of the time they waited and the price jumped up while they waited.

You won't likely see prices drop at all, and I'm glad you got the CQ when you did. The CQ is not the Ritz, but it's still very nice and again, the big benefit is the superb, central location. Also kind of a scenic location, with the river across the street. Hopefully you will get a room looking out at the river.

Additionally, if you like this CQ, there are CQ locations in other major cities (NYC, for example).

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]