Priceline Hotel: 4* NYC (MTE) Grand Hyatt

kainfs
By kainfs,
in

Hi All

I've never used priceline/hotwire before so hope this forum can help me out!

I looking to book a hotel for 3 nights (04/24 to 04/27). I would prefer to stay in the MTS, MTE or MTW area's ( would liketo be close to the shopping centres, Empire State etc.). However, the other zones are also acceptable apart from SoHo

My budget is approx between $150 & $165 per night, please can some advice on a strategy bid amounts etc. Ideally would like a 4* but a good 3* is ok too.

If you require any further info please ask and i'll do my best to answer.

Many thanks folks

Not particularly. I left them out as I thought it would be way above my budget. But you never know, there may be a bargain to had in these zones if i'm lucky?

I guess there is no harm in including these zones

Also, i should be able to stretch my budget, inclusive of tax, to $185

I guess there is no harm in including these zones
If you're willing to stay in these areas, and only didn't inlcude them because you thought they would be out of your price range, then not only is there no harm in adding them, but there is an advantage that you get MANY MORE bidding opportunities.

$185 including taxes is less than $165 before taxes. What is your maximum bid before taxes and fees?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Tax and fees will roughly work out to an extra 20% of the amount you bid. When you bid on Priceline, it will show you how much the total (including taxes and fees) comes to before you confirm your bid.

If your maximum is $185 including taxes, then you shouldn't bid much above $155.

NYC hotel tax is about 14% and priceline will add on a booking fee ~$6-$7/nite... the total all-in price, if your bid is accepted, will be shown on a 'confirmation' page before you enter your credit card details, so you can make sure that you won't go over your budget if your bid is to be accepted.

What maximum bid amount do you want to go with?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

We'll star with the 4* strategy...

When bidding 4* in NYC you have two re-bid zones available. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Selec 4* MTE and MTW...

Bid $115, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $125, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Selec 4* UM/CPS and Times Square...

Bid $125, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Selec 4* MTS...

Selec 4* MTE and UM/CPS...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $140, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Selec 4* MTW and Times Square...

Bid $140, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTS and MTE...

Select 4* MTE and Times Square...

Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $150, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $155, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTW and UM/CPS...

Bid $155, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTW and MTW...

Select 4* MTE and MTW and UM/CPS and MTS and Times Square...

Bid $160, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $165, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $170, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

It would appear that you could cancel, but I'm having trouble with their website right now so can't confirm the terms and condidtions... but i'd be curious as to why you saw a different set of terms and conditions previously thant we're both current seeing. As well, i forget if it was this site when i looked previously (as i do some many searches a day sometimes they blend together) as there was one site which charged $30 upon booking and that part would not be refundable (but can't recall if it was this site... i think it was, but for a different property)

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update.

I've tried for a few weeks using the stratergy given but have been unsucessful.

So, tonight i tried downgrading to 3* and using the stratergy. But alas, still no luck. Will stick with it though and in the mean time i will book a back up hotel (which i should have done a long time ago :) )

will keep you posted

Question: If i was to increase my max bid to $185 do i simply add $15 to each individual bid given in the stratergy?

Thanks

You could actually get mor re-bids than posted above, thereby still trying the lower bid amounts first... but this will take you a bit longer to bid, but we'll type it out if you're willing to put in the time.

As far as a back-up hotel, i did find thru Quickbook the Radisson Eastside for $206/nite and the Eastgate Tower (very good reviews for $236/nite (there are lower rates for this property at Quickbook, but they're not refundable, this $236 rate is).

Selec 4* MTE and MTW...

Selec 4* UM/CPS and Times Square...

Selec 4* MTS...

Selec 4* MTE and UM/CPS...

Selec 4* MTW and Times Square...

Select 4* MTS and MTE...

Select 4* MTE and Times Square...

Select 4* MTW and UM/CPS...

Select 4* MTW and MTW...

Select 4* MTE and MTW and Times Square...

Bid $170, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* UM/CPS and MTS and Times Square...

Select 4* MTE and MTW and UM/CPS and MTS and Times Square...

Bid $175, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $180, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $185, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

I'd also recommend booking one of the Quickbook hotels above as a cancellable back up... NYC does get busy (and expensive) this time of year and you want to make sure you have something affordable while you continue to bid.

Good Luck and keep us updated.

• 1 month later...

Quick update:

Only 7 days before departure and still not secured a Pricline hotel but have now got a reservation at the Milford Plaza (through Quikbook).

Looks like this is where we'll be staying if Priceline doesn't come through for me in the next few days. :)

Will keep you updated if things change

PS. Can anyone reccommend nice places to have breakfast around Milford Plaza hotel area.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]