Priceline more than Hotwire taxes

Desirees
By Desirees,
in

I think that PL is higher, though. I had booked through HW a room at the Venetian for $160 per night for 3 nights and was charged $46.95 for taxes. Then later when I found the hotel offering a cheaper rate, they are refunding me $102.

So, I decided to play around with PL and when I put in $160 for room rate, the next page with all the taxes showed they are charging $60.82 in taxes alone.

Is that normal? I always thought eveyone charged the same amount. Quite an eye opener. Posting it to see what the others think...

D.

It's not taxes alone... it's taxes and fees.

Both Priceline and Hotwire combine the taxes and fees into one number. Each is free to charge whatever fees they want (as long as it's disclosed before committing ot a purchase) and the difference in the fee portion is what accounts for the difference between the two services.

Overall i'm opposed to most websites today combining taxes and fees because it is one more thing that is 'opaque' to the user. As well, mistakes in taxes can be made as WillTravel pointed out in thread: HOTWIRE TAXES and FEES, and combining them makes this much harder to figure out.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Here's more of a question than an answer.

With Hotwire, hotels set a rate and Hotwire charges that rate plus a markup. Has anyone looked at whether Hotwire's taxes are based on the original (rate from hotel) or marked up (consumer price) rate? (I suppose I could look at my Hotwire bid from 2 weeks ago, but call me lazy at the moment, sorry :) )

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]