Priceline Hotel: NYC 3/18/2008 to 3/21/2008

slazman
By slazman,
in

OK initially looking for 4* for check in 18th March check out 21st March. Checked out the bidding strategy (refreshed my memory as it was a couple of years back I last did this) on other current posts in the forum.

Will include progressively include MTE, MTW,Times Square, UM/CPS and MTS. UES and UWS will be my re-bid zones. Starting at $150 bidding up progressively to $250.

I will keep trying at this for a couple of weeks and consider 3* if no result .... what bid amounts and increments do you suggest on 3*?

Finally and I know I asked this last time, I can't bid from the UK on Priceline.com .... how did I do it before?

Yes - I wasn't sure how to word the title ... whether the dates are the nights I am staying or the check-in/check out dates. We will be checking in on 18th March and checking out on 21st March i.e. a three night stay.

Our plans are firm and flights have been booked. I will start bidding tomorrow (Friday 22nd when I have time to devote to a complete cycle should I not get an early hit).

I will give 4* at least a week of attempts if initially unsuccessful before I start looking at 3*.

I will keep this thread updated regarding my progress

Thanks

Peter

Before bidding...

Quikbook has a 48 hour sale which has the 6 Thomson Circle for $239/nite (for a Pod room, which is small, so be prepared) which you may want to book as a back-up and would also be able to lower your maximum bid if this is acceptable. It's a new, and trendy, hotel which has received very good reviews. Let us know if this is acceptable or not and we'll adjust your maximum bid accordingly.

As well, Quickbook also has the Fitzpatrick Grand Central for $270/nite (just over your stated budget above) but this too could be a good back-up if you're not interested in the Pod rooms above (reviews)

One more suggestion is the Affinia 50 thru GTA Hotels for $262/nite which is one of the top rated hotels in the city.

Let us know your thoughts on either of these alternatives so that we don't bid higher than you need to. We'll then suggest a strategy for you to follow in order to try to 'better' whichever you decide.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

The Affina certainly looks a nice place with good reviews and for us, location is great as we are familiar with the area . We would be interested in this and I guess need to factor it into our bidding strategy.

Given it is three star at a price that is top budget for us, does this mean it will be a challenge to get 4* for around that price.

Any further advice before we start would be greatly appreciated as always.

Given it is three star at a price that is top budget for us, does this mean it will be a challenge to get 4* for around that price.

Not necessarily... i think you have a decent chance for a 4* near the top end of your budget, but i wouldn't get caught up with the star rating of the property. Ratings are subjective, and i would rather stay at the Affinia 50 (no matter what star rating it was assigned) than some of the other hotels that are considered '4 stars'.

If it were my booking i'd book it thru GTA Hotels (please use our link) as i seem to recall it's cancellable without penalty up until 4 days before your stay (confirm on the booking page). Then i would figure out how much i'd need to save to be happy with any 4 star property (ie- to land a 4* property for $10 less per nite wouldn't be worth it to me, to save $50/nite it becomes more worthwhile), and bid accordingly.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

If it were my booking i'd book it thru GTA Hotels (please use our link) as i seem to recall it's cancellable without penalty up until 4 days before your stay (confirm on the booking page). Then i would figure out how much i'd need to save to be happy with any 4 star property (ie- to land a 4* property for $10 less per nite wouldn't be worth it to me, to save $50/nite it becomes more worthwhile), and bid accordingly.

Sounds good advice to me - I also agree on the $50 ... there is a value in knowing where you are going if it is as good as it looks. We will look to doing this and will update the post accordingly.

Once you secure the hotel thru GTA Hotels let us know your maximum bid and we'll suggest a strategy to follow.

Been without a connection for three days!

OK - Affina is booked as suggested. Guess now I have a fallback position that is a good hotel I can relax a bit and try to get a bargain - and the terms did state cancellation up to 4 days. Taken decision for now to bid up to $215 .. is this a reasonable approach given I have a while before the trip? When is a good time to bid ... now or closer to March?

When is a good time to bid ... now or closer to March?
See the related link in our PRICELINE FAQ.

This far ahead of your stay i would problaby cap my bidding about ~$200/nite... then incrase to $215 about 3-4 weeks before your stay. Nothing wrong with going to $215 at the current time, just mentioning how i'd play it.

If you need help with a bidding strategy let us know and we'll post one up for you.

• 4 weeks later...

Got no where with this to $225 a couple of weeks ago. Time to give it one last try?

I would like to stick to 4* with the $225 maximum - how do you recommend having another go, given that nothing seems to be happening under $200 ... if recommended I can go through a full bidding strategy as previously recommended to others but is this worth it .... shoul I start at $180?

Right now my securred Affina 50 booking looks good value and a good move!

it means that a bid was made for $120 and Priceline did not accept this bid, but instead sent a message that if the bid were raised by $22, there was a good chance the $142 bid would be accepted. Instead, the OP tried to undercut the counter offer by adding a zone and raising the bid to $125, which was rejected, then added another zone and increased the bid to $130 which was accepted. This also means that the bid was accepted for only the first night of your stay, so you may need to consider splitting your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]