Priceline Hotel: NYC 6/5-6/9

excited2travel
By excited2travel,
in

This site is great! :)

I've been all over this site trying to piece together all the tips...Ideally I need a room in NYC that will accomodate 3 people (yes, i've taken a look at the links for multiple occupancy, etc. and (hopefully) once something is booked I'll call and put in a request) 4* in the MTE/MTW areas for the dates of 6/5-6/9

Do you have any advice in terms of which order I should bid the areas, what's reasonable given the market today, how far in advance I should start booking, what I should start my bid at, etc.?

Any and all advice is tremendously appreciated!

Thank you!!!

Welcome to BetterBidding.

I'll supply a strategy for you to follow but first 2 questions....

1) Do you have a maximum amount you are willing to bid and

2) Is the UM/CPS zone ok too? It's generally more expensive than the MTE and MTW zones but if you'd be happy there as well you can use it as an additional zone to bid (essentially getting another chance at the other zones too... but only use it if you'd be happy in this area as well. Most people are because the hotels in this area are generally VERY nice, but i don't know your specific plans).

If you're undecided to add this zone you may want to give this thread a read if you haven't seen it: PRICELINE NYC ZONES.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for the quick response!

I'd ideally like to pay max ~ $120 but if that's completely unreasonable, then I can be convinced to up my anti -- you opinion on this is much appreciated!

The UM/CPS zone would be okay too...I picked the other 2 zones because as a single adult with 2 teenage kids this trip is going to be very touristy. We'd like to see the usual spots, eat great (but decently priced food), and explore Explore EXPLORE....

Will it make a difference if we come into NY a day earlier? We'll be touring the East Coast so this is a definite possibility..

Thanks again!

OK, a few more decions to be made before moving forward (the greatest successes always start with a well though out plan)....

My guess is that it will likely take a bid of $140-$160 to have success at the 4* level for these dates (regardless of whether you come in a day early). This isn't to say that we shouldn't try lower, but i think that is the most likely scenario (maybe just a bit less).

I did see what i believe to be the Roosevelt (3.5*) offered on Hotwire for $115 which may work within your budget and be a good location for you (and i would use this as a property 'to beat'... assuming you'd be happy with that property)

So in order to 'beat' Hotwire's 3.5* we can try bidding for 4* via Priceline, just let us know if you want to keep your maximum bid at $120 or if you'd like to raise it at all. If that is rejected, would you then like to try for 3* on Priceline for the same zones are take what i believe to be the Roosevelt via Hotwire.

To add one more wrinkle into the mix... since your stay is beginning on a Saturday (or Friday) nite you may have a good chance at getting the Jersey City Hyatt for a weekend nite. Hotel has very easy access to NYC and all rooms have great views of the skyline. It's not a substitute for the experience of staying in the city, but for one nite (or two) it may help the budget somewhat (if budget is a concern) as this hotel can often be had for under $40/nite.

Hope i'm not throwing too much at you at once!

After knowing the above i'll supply a recommended strategy to take you thru the process from start to finish.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I think ~120 is what I would prefer, if necessary I might be able to go up to the $140 range, but I would need that to be a 4* (hopefully!) I'm looking for something that's clean and safe, with decent proximity. Am I wishing for too much?

As I've never used priceline before, I'm also concerned with getting taken for a "dive" and then being stuck in a situation that I'm unhappy with.

I checked out the hotwire sight and found a 3.5* for 114...how are you able to tell that this is the Roosevelt?

How are you able to tell what hotel you're getting?

As we won't have a car in NY, I think it might be easier/better to stay on the island, rather than in NJ -- but again, any advice would be greatly appreciated on this.

Thanks again!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]