Priceline Hotel: 4* Oahu (Waikiki Marina) Hawaii Prince

gvaz28
By gvaz28,
in

Hi,

I am looking to fly to Hawaii from new york from January 9th-19th. I wanted to stay both in Maui and in Honolulu. Since I am flying into Maui, I guess I would want to stay in Maui from 1/09/08-1/14/08, and then in Honolulu from 1/14-1/19/08.

I am looking to keep the average nightly costs to an average of 100-150 dollars. I don't mind staying in a nice place (3 or resort?) in one of the islands and then a 2-star place in another island as long as I can average it out to about 150 a night (inc. taxes+fees).

I am planning on renting a car, so anywhere on the island is fine.

Do you think this trip is doable? I have miles and there is availability that is why we thought about doing this trip. But if the prices are not doable at all then we will look into a trip elsewhere.

Also I plan on taking the Hawaii-superferry. According to the schedule I get into Maui from Honolulu at 2:30 and my flight leaves from Maui at 10:30. Do you think I should get into Maui a day earlier, or is it alright to just get off the superferry and drive over to the airport?

Any advice at all, plus any strategy you can recommend would be very very welcome!

Thanks and have a happy holiday!

Gaurav

Hi,

I checked hotwire and there is a two star hotel for 89 a night (so I assume about 110 with taxes?). It looks like it is the Maui Seaside hotel. I also checked for honolulu and there was availability there as well (it was a bit cheaper then maui). So I think I can afford the trip, I guess now its just trying to get the best deal I can.

Any thoughts?

How much is the total for the 2* on Maui (i'm assuming this is acceptable to you)... you can see the total by clicking "continue" after the main search results. How much under your $150 per nite limit is it... as you can then add this amount to $150 to set your upper limit for Honolulu.

So for exampel the above is $110 'all-in', you could then bid up to $190 for Honolulu... assuming you're looking for the highest star rated hotel you can for that part of your stay.

Given the HOTWIRE offer in Maui, i would bid on Priceline for Honolulu, since if you can get a nice hotel there for under $190 (using the figues above) you may then also be able to stay at a nicer place in Maui.

The one caveat is that there is a slight degree of risk in all of this, as while you're bidding for Honolulu you could win a hotel, then go back and not have the Maui offer available on HOTWIRE anymore.

Does the above make sense? If not, feel free to ask any questions. If it does, let us know the total on the HOTWIRE property so we know your upper limit for Honolulu and we'll take it from there.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Hi,

So I checked the total price and it was coming to $97 a night on hotwire. 2* is acceptable to me, although I would prefer to stay at a higher star rated hotel if that is possible. That is, if I can decent accommodations at both honolulu and maui I would prefer that over terrible accommodations at maui and amazing accommodations at honolulu. I guess all things considered my preferences are not as a transparent as they initially seemed to me. So perhaps you will not be able to help with a strategy after all.

That is why i recommended trying Priceline for Honolulu first, securing your deal, and then try to 'better' the above as you'll then know the most you can pay and still be within your budget. But before bidding for Honolulu you need to know your 'worst case scenario' in Maui, so that if you are scucessful for Honolulu, you at least know you have accomodations within your budget for Maui... you don't want to be successful for Honolulu and then find that Maui is out of your price limits.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Gaurav,

I'm a bit confused, are you returning to NY from OGG or HNL? Your post indicates you plan to take the Superferry, but the Honolulu to Maui ferry leaves Oahu very early (6:30 am) and arrives in Maui at 10:15 am, not 2:15 pm as indicated. I would think you should be able to ferry back the same day you leave Maui if this is correct. Even if the ferry is delayed some, shouldn't be a problem.

Regarding Maui hotels, I would take a shot at bidding $125 for Resort: Ka'anapali - Lahaina - many people have won the Westin at this price for assorted dates. I know this hotel often showed up on Hotwire for $139 and is not showing for your dates, but that does not mean that you have no shot of winning on Priceline. Ka'anapali - Lahaina is a much nicer area to stay in than Kahului on Maui if you happen to win the Westin.

You certainly shouldn't have a problem finding a 2* in Waikiki for under $100/night either via Priceline or Hotwire - I see a 2.5* currently listed at $85/night.

KJ

Hi,

Sorry allow, my plans are so fluid that I am confusing all of you! Most of my decision seem to be made on impulse anyway. This morning I made a bid for 4 star in honoulu for-125 it got rejected. I bid 140 and it got accepted.

I received the:

Hawaii Prince Hotel 4-star

Waikiki Marina Area

100 Holomoana Street

Honolulu, Hawaii 96815

808-956-1111

See Hotel Website

View Map and Directions Check-In Date:

Thu, Jan 10, 2008 / After 03:00 PM

Check-Out Date:

Tue, Jan 15, 2008 / 12:00 PM

Your Offer Price Per Room, Per Night: $140.00

Subtotal: $700.00

Taxes & Service Fees: $104.37

Total Charges*: $804.37

So that leaves: about $700 for the first 5 nights in maui. So now its time to turn my attention to that.

Any help you can offer will be great. At least some of my confusion is now cleared up.

Gaurav,

I'm not sure which nights you are looking at, but regardless, I think for Maui, you have four options worth considering depending on how much you are willing to spend:

1 - $125 for Resort: Lahaina on Priceline in hopes of getting the Westin (works out to $719 for 5 nights with taxes/fees).

2 - Something less than $125 for 3*: Lahaina on Priceline (likely would get Royal Lahaina Resort if successful)

3 - $100 or less for 2*: Kihei on Priceline (likely would get Aston or Best Western if successful)

4 - 2* in Kahului on Hotwire at whatever rate shows for your days

Lahaina is where most tourists and activity is; Kihei is somewhat quieter; Kahului is close to airport and cruise docks. Good luck with your decision and bidding.

KJ

Hi,

Thanks for your help KJ.

I tried $125 for Resort, $95 for 3 star, and $85 for 2.5 star and all were unsuccessful.

The dates are 1/05/08-1/10/08 for Maui.

Any thoughts?

I also need cars both in Maui and Honolulu, so if you have any thoughts on that, i'd appreciate that too.

Also, Hawaiian Airlines had roundtrip flights for 90 (tax included), so we just booked that instead of the superferry. So that should save some time as well.

~gaurav

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]