Priceline Hotel: 4* San Diego (Coastal) Hyatt Regency La Jolla

OysterHo
By OysterHo,
in

Which is why we don't like users posting for their friends :)
Ooohh, touche!

Yes, she is ready to bid, her plans are firm, and she wanted me to tell you that she's an idiot and can't do this herself. LOL She's reading this thread and I'm going to help her with the actual process - thankfully I've already done it before - successfully even!

She's not an idiot, she's very smart, she's a Harvard graduate, but it makes me feel smart to help her if I can. :)

2-3*, San Diego, 2 nights. 12/28, 12/29, Downtown, Old Town, or Coastal, less than $100

Hey Harvard :), since you're following along, are you willing to pay more for a 3* or is your goal the lest expensive 3* or better hotel for these dates?

In other words, should we try for a 3* in any of the three zones you're willing to accept up to $100, then if rejected try for a 2.5* and if rejected again try for a 2*... or is price most important and you're looking for the least expensive hotel as possible? (i'd recommend the former, but it's up to you what type of hotels you like to stay in and your expected budget)

OysterHo, let us know what she'd like to do and we'll take it from there.

PS- i typed thea above with a big smile on my face (ie- 'hey harvard', etc), so don't take any of it negatively. :)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

LOL! Harvard said I could post this:

I think that she should stick with 3* (& 4*) first and lower her price limit from $100 to let's say $75-80.

If nothing happens, then she'll consider either going up to 85-90 only for 3*, or lowering the stars to 2.5 or 2. I don't think she should drop her stars though. I'm urging her in that direction.

How does that sound?

If she'd prefer a 4* over a 3* i would keep the maximum bid at $100 and try for a 4* only first, then try for a 3* up to $80, etc. If she really doesn't have a preference for a 3* vs. 4* and price is more important, then 'ok' to start at the 3* level up to $80.

Plenty of re-bid zones at each star level, especially with multiple zones being acceptable, so a strategy should be easy enough to compile.

Just let us know if we should start at 4* or 3* and we'll take it from there.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

At the 3* level you have 5 re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 3* Coastal and Old Town and Downtown...

Bid $55, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $60, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $65, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $70, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $75, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $80.

Any questions feel free to ask.

If rejected let us know if you'd then like to try for a 4* (up to $100) or if she'd like to lower the star rating (or just wait it out)

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, nothing has been done so far. :)

Harvard would like to up her stars to 4*. Should she start at $65? Should she bid at $5 increments or smaller? She will go up to $120 if necessary, but prefers the $100 level.

Also, she has 11 rebid zones, is that right? But priceline only gives you 2 chances and you have to close out your browser and open it up again and add another rebid zone? Or do you get as many chances to bid with one window as there are rebid zones?

• 9 months later...
Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]