Priceline Hotel: 2.5* Williamsburg (Historic-Busch Gardens) Country Inn and Suites

123slb
By 123slb,
in

My daughter is studying Colonial history and we thought a trip to Williamsburg would be great during the break over Christmas vacation. I wonder if Priceline is a viable option for the dates from Dec. 28 to Jan. 1 since there's no history of wins during that period. Also, there aren't any free rebid zones, so if you don't get accepted, you wait 24 hours, right? We'd be comfortable in properties 2.5* and higher. Any info, advice or suggestions?

Zones: Williamsburg Historic is first preference but without knowing the area, Williamsburg Outlet seems acceptable. We really don't want to go to Hampton, Newport News or Virginia Beach. On closer inspection, the 2* Springhill Suites (posted wins on the board) would serve nicely, so max for 2* and 2.5* $45 and for 3* max of $55. But then, the lower star class often has a free breakfast, which makes it the better deal altogether!

There's a 3* on HOTWIRE for $53 that is probably the Sheraton Four Points or the Holiday Inn, judging from the amenities (fitness center, restaurant, pools, laundry facility).

Zones: Williamsburg Historic is first preference but without knowing the area, Williamsburg Outlet seems acceptable... max for 2* and 2.5* $45 and for 3* max of $55. But then, the lower star class often has a free breakfast, which makes it the better deal altogether!

It's not clear above is you want to try for a 3* or a 2.5*. Did you want to try up to your maximums in the Historic District first (before trying in the Outlet zone) OR is price most important and your goal is the least expensive property at the minimum star rating you select in either of the two zones?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

You're right, I'm ambivalent. My decision is . . . . oh, heck, I don't know. For simplicity's sake (and my pocketbook's), I'll forget the 3 star and stick to "historic". I looked around some more and the Four Points is booking cancelable rooms directly for $70. So I think if I bid 2.5* up to $45 in the Historic district, I'll win that property.

But if not . . . then I will switch to 2* "outlet" and bid up to $45 also, because I'll probably end up with free breakfast for the family if I score a win, and the hotels seem newer and nicer in that zone at the two star level.

Hey, wait a minute! Maybe I just figured out a strategy! Then if neither of these ideas score anything, I'll rethink it some more, right? I am trying to keep the hotel cost below $200, if possible.

So you want to bid:

2.5* Historic District

2* Outlet District

(ie- not 2.5* in the Outlet District nor 2* in the Historic District)

I'll probably end up with free breakfast for the family if I score a win
How many will you be? You are aware that Priceline only guarantees double occupancy and you could receive a room with only one bed?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I'd consider bidding 2.5* in "outlet" too, since that affords another opportunity to bid on any given try. But that's a complete unknown in terms of properties, as there is no history of wins in that area at that level. (I've gotten so spoiled with previous wins where I received exactly what I expected because of this board's tremendous support.)

My party is three, 2 adults and 1 nine-year-old. It did occur to me about the bed, but I'm willing to risk it, as we've actually all piled in a king together before, and I consider it a minute probability of getting only one bed that's smaller than a king. A calculated risk . . .

I really appreciate your patience in helping me figure out what I want. So, with your help, I'll progress to bidding!

I believe i have your zone preferences and order correct, but if something doesn't look right just let us know.

I'd begin as follows:

Select 2.5* Historic...

Bid $40, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 2.5* Outlets...

Bid $40, if rejected add Historic...

Bid $45, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 2* Historic Outlet...

Bid $30.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

No luck tonight, but a strange thing happened. Used Savingsbarn.com and:

Chose 2* outlet, bid $30 - rejected

Closed browser, opened up and chose 2.5* historic, bid $38 - rejected, but told try again now by raising $10

Opened new browser and chose 2.5* outlet, bid $38 - offer considered a duplicate and not processed! I wasn't expecting that . . . it wasn't a duplicate! :)

Clicked back to window with the try again now and added 2.5* outlet, bid $39 - rejected.

I'll try again with higher bids tomorrow, but why did it consider my bid a duplicate? Can you only choose a star level below your last bid for it to be considered a change?

. . . it wasn't a duplicate!

It was a duuplicate.

The star rating you select is the minimum you are willing to accept, therefore when you bid 2.5* in a zone it's as if you're bidding every star level above that as well. So when you later placed a 2.5* bid for that same zone, it was kicked back as a duplicate.

Whoops! Never figured out the detail about the minimum star level and rebids until now - but no harm done.

Through Savingsbarn I picked 2.5* Historic and bid $40. Accepted!

Country Inn and Suites Williamsburg East (Historic - Busch Gardens)

7135 Pocahontas Trail

Offer Price: $40

Number of Rooms: 1

Number of Nights: 4

Subtotal: $160

Taxes and Service Fees: $32.84

Total Charges: $192.84

So I got my free breakfast. Their website says the cheapest room is $75.60 a night. Wish it had an indoor pool - but can't have everything. Now if the current weather in the 70s would just last 'til New Year's Day! Thanks again for all the support.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]