Priceline Hotel: 4* NYC (MTE) Intercontinental The Barclay

Rookfan
By Rookfan,
in

Hi all together,

and first of all THANKS to Thereyouare - your help and suggestions are sooo great !!!

Won thru Priceline with this history: Split my total NYC stay and first got 3 days of Parker Meridien thru HOTWIRE, 12/19/07 - 12/22/07 as posted before on another thread.

Then made two cancellable reservations for backup, as always suggested on this forum.

Embassy Suites North End, 12/15/07 - 12/17/07 (Triple Honnors Promotion $289 and $269).

Millenium UN Plaza, 12/17/07 - 12/19/07 (AAA $169). Both on their own internet pages.

Though that was nearly unbeatable, I tried time by time thru Hotwire and Priceline - and of course always studied all postings.

Today I won - using "Savingsbarn.com" as also learned from you :)

Started with $140 and got the counter offer to increase my bid by $22 without any more changes.

Closed my browser and started again with $146 - rejected. Then $152 - rejected.

So I gave it a chance with $162 and got The Barclay. Internet Advanced Payment rate=$315,

Flexible rate = $429.

Well, it's not well rated on Tripadvisor, but you can't have it all together.

Thanks again for all kind support.

Last I have to try for one more day on 12/15/07, a Saturday - so not that easy. Perhaps on last minute. Will hold you informed how it goes.

Well, it's not well rated on Tripadvisor, but you can't have it all together.

Thanks again for all kind support.

I wouldn't worry about the reviews. Maybe the criticisms are from people who paid full price since it's hard to justify paying over $400 a night. Stayed there 2 winters ago and it was a wonderful experience. Even though we reserved via Hotwire ($83!)we were treated royally. Checked in on time, granted our request for 2 beds and a view (overlooking Lexington Ave). The lobby is bustling with activity. Beautiful flower arrangement in the center (though Christmas Tree might be on display now). The hotel houses foreign leaders when the UN is in session. Dining tip:We enjoyed a $19.99 business lunch during the week at the French Bistro Montparnasse ( 53rd/3rd?- check their website). If the weather is bad during the week- you can use the undergroud passage on the 47th st corner to walk to Grand Central Terminal/42nd. Check out the holiday light show on the ornate ceiling at Grand Central.

The Intercontinental is a very nice hotel - won it for a relative, who was absolutely thrilled with the service. They stayed at several different hotels across a period of about 10 days and this was their favorite.

In terms of reviews, they're not that bad. There are certainly worse-reviewed hotels in NYC. Agreed with FCC; you are looking at reviews from people who - likely - paid $300-400 and probably in some cases more than that.

I won't go into details re-iterating the above, but will add that i agree... at these rates a great value and i don't think you'll be disappointed.

Thanks for sharing your win and for using the SavingsBarn.com PRICELINE links to begin your bidding.

Have a great NYC trip.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]