PA Philadelphia Hyatt at Penns Landing

djohannw
By djohannw,
in

I stayed at the Hyatt for one night from saturday to sunday. When arriving at the hotel late at night I had slight problems finding a place to park my car in the driveway for check in as the valets were getting cars in numbers for people obviously having attended a function at the hotel. Check in was reasonably quick but a bit on the brief side. Had requested King non-smoking, but received two queen smoking without being told so at checkin. Room was on the 13th floor (the first hotel I remember to have such a floor). Elevators were quick and available whenever I needed them.

Room was spacious, but looked a bit too dark and tired. Bathroom was nicely appointed and spacious, but sadly not clean (several long black hairs and old coffee in the coffee-maker). However at 1am I just notified the manager about these shortcomings and went to bed. High-Speed Internet is offered in every room, worked without a flaw (was a little slow however) and is free for all guests. Due to the higher floor I had a nice view of the Delaware-river.

Had breakfast from the buffet the next morning which was excellent in terms of quality and service, however I found the number of items a little spartan. Not even toast was on the buffet, you had to ask for it, and cold-cuts were not available at all (except for salmon, but I do not eat fish). For 13.95$ it was OK, but not a great value because of the limited choice. However my server was one of the best I have had in a long time, asking all guests for their names and from that point adress them with that.

Parking is 15$ a night for self-parking, but you can find street parking a few blocks away from the hotel for free from midnight to 9am which I used as I arrived after midnight.

All in all still a great deal for a hotel that close to downtown considering the price I paid (40$) and the location.

Greetings - Dirk

• 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I had a good stay here.

Check in was simple, I asked nicely for a water view and got a two double bedded room with a fine view of the docks and river. I had a more positive impression of the room, and it was clean. I didn't experience much service, but what I had was very thoughtful; the cleaning lady noticed that my toothpaste container was almost empty and left me another small tube. I didn't have time to use the fitness room, and high speed net access is $10 per day, but my computer was on the fritz.

So with good Priceline inventory at both 3* and 4*, which should you target? Go for the 4* Hyatt if you're looking for a bit more pampering and a fine view, or if you would like to be closer to the historical attractions close to the water. Be aware that the hotel feels isolated even though it's only a block away from the Sheraton Society Hill because you have to cross a multilane highway to reach it.

If you're looking for a convenient location to the theater, nightlife and the convention center and more inclusive value, target the 3* Hilton Garden, which includes wireless net access in the price and is right next to the convention center.

I put photos of both hotels at realhotelphotos.com - I'm no photographer, but it should give you an idea.

• 3 weeks later...

Update on the stay at the Hyatt....45.00 per night priceline bid

It was a fabulous experience...the staff, the room, and best of all - the amazing price. Absolutely no complaints....top notch service all around.

My co-workers were across the street at the Sheraton (which they had booked through Hotwire for 67.00 per night) and it was a wonderful hotel as well.

We were approximately 1 mile or so from the convention center which we walked; took the Phlash mini bus, the subway, or cabbed it when it was raining. Tons of great restaurants between the convention center and hotels as well. Walking distance to many of the major musuems and historic sites.

Airport cab ride was 20.00 - 25.00 less tip depending on number of riders

From hotel to convention center - - fares ran between 6.00 and 8.00 less tip

Both hotels offered parking/valet parking but I dont have any info to share as we did not need to utilize.

Thanks to all better bidders that posted and shared their experiences - as a non-profit struggling with budgets - we appreciate the opportunity to save any where we can!

• 8 months later...

We had a wonderful stay:

Just returned from a 2 night stay, 12/29-12/31.

We were absolutely delighted with this hotel. Checked in at noon and requested adjoining rooms on a high floor with view (travelling with 2 teens).

We were given a fabulous corner room and an adjacent 'regular' room. Best part is that there was a second door that you could close off to make a "suite". (I noticed another poster complaining about being stuck in a corner next to another room in what to that poster appeared to be a former suite. I don't understand the complaint, if you leave the second door open then it is like any other two rooms that happen to be in a corner ...) Anyhow, FYI, our rooms were 1901 and 1902, with 1901 being the corner room. Make sure to ask for a high corner room with a view!

My take is that this hotel treats hotwire/priceline guests like any other and that they have no problem accomodating requests when possible. (Obviously, it is not always possible if the hotel is full.)

All of the service was exemplary. The dining room staff was super friendly, the concierge and desk help as well. (They even recharged my daughters iPod shuffle on an office USB port for us.)

The location is great. Walking a few blocks (five minutes) to the old city and historical sites is well worth it for the fabulous views you get of the river and city (as well as the other great things about this hotel).

The breakfast bouffet is excellent. We also ate in the restuarant one night and it was also very good. (We at the other night in a neat place called Plough and Stars, highly recommend.)

To maximize your chances of getting this property, I suggest using hotwire since they break the city up into 3 zones (priceline is only 1). There are not too many in the "riverfront" zone so you can often figure out what hotwire is offering ...

• 2 months later...

Stayed at the Hyatt Penn's Landing for one night 3/11-3/12. Got it on Priceline for $60/night.

Pulled up to hotel, husband dropped me off with our bag. Parking was listed at $21 self-park, $26 valet park. There is a parking lot about 1 1/2 blocks away across from the Society Hill Sheraton for $14/night, so we parked there instead.

Check-in was easy, effortless. Nice lobby with comfortable chairs. They asked us what kind of room we wanted - we requested King, non-smoking. The only king, non-smoking room they had left was a handicapped room - we took it, it had a huge bathroom. Nice toiletries. Our room was on the 12th floor, nicely appointed with a great river view. Very clean. Bed was comfortable. Also provided a mini-fridge and an in-room coffeemaker. Mini ironing board and safe in the room as well. Water pressure in the shower was good.

Went to Keating's (hotel restaurant) on the river for a couple of drinks. Two glasses of Chardonney and two import beers came to $26. Outdoor deck was not open even though it was 70+ degrees outside. We ate out in Old City (quick 5 minute walk) at Tangerine. Excellent food, but it's pricey (entrees $23-33.) Highly recommend, though!

They have a coffee bar in the lobby of the restaurant that serves Starbucks. Great for the morning caffeine fix, although the prices are slightly higher than a normal Starbucks.

There is also a small gift shop in the lobby with the basics as well.

Indoor pool, sauna and fitness center located on the 4th floor of the hotel with great river views. Very well-maintained and clean. Women's locker room was basic, but clean as well.

We opted to eat breakfast out as well - Keating's has a breakfast buffet for $16.95 person. We went to the South Street Diner at 2nd and South and had a great breakfast for 2 - it came to $14 total. Great omlettes there!

Every staff person greeted us with a smile. I did not use the concierge, although he appeared to be quite busy. The doormen are on their game as well and dressed to the nines.

A great bargain for $60/night. I'd return in a heartbeat for that price.

• 4 years later...

Just got back from one nite at the Hyatt Regency Penn's Landing. Got a great price of $69.00 thru Priceline. I did request a higher floor corner room & got just that. The room itself was really quite nice & very clean with every imaginable need . There was one VERY comfortable King bed, desk & chair, flat panel TV, & our room had 3 windows in the bedroom protion & 1 window in the bathroom. We were in room #1701 - so privacy was no issue. We left the drapes open all nite as we had the most spectacular views of the city lights & on the other side, the Ben Franklin bridge. Every person we dealt with there was very professional & very helpful. Parking was $21.00 a day for self park plus tax. For the great deal I got on Priceline, The Hyatt was a WONDERFUL bargain !! I would definitely go back to this hotal every time I visit Philly....

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]