Priceline Hotel: 3* NYC (MTW) Algonquin

sparky86
By sparky86,
in

Can't seem to see anything for less than $250 for those first 2 nights (nov 28-30) funny that I have a 4* for the weekend for $244!! We would really like to stay in times square for those first two and now have the 6 Columbus Circle and the Super 8 for about 315 as back ups. But what are the chances to see something in the 200-250 range pop up before that time?? I plan to check all the sites everyday. Any and all advice is appreciated.

sparky:)

We would really like to stay in times square for those first two and now have the 6 Columbus Circle and the Super 8 for about 315 as back ups.
I'm glad to see you dropped the Milford Plaza from your options as i think you'll be much happier at the 6 Columbus Circle... not that i know that much about this new hotel, but other than the small room, the hotel had a lot of hype surrouding it's opening (which was severely delayed) and i would expect 'hi end' amenities similar to a W Hotel or similar high end property.
But what are the chances to see something in the 200-250 range pop up before that time??
I'd be doubtful for a 4*... but it doesn't hurt to try. Is this your maximum bid amount?

Which show is it that you'd like to see which is sold-out?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

The radio city music hall christmas spectacular is the show that we want to see. Would have preferred to see it thursday evening but that was sold out, so we can get tickets for Sunday.

I also have the Super 8 in Times Square as a back up for those first two nights for 300 each night (recommended by some co-workers who travel to nyc every decemeber and stay there). Just wondering what your thoughts were.

I also called the Millennium Hilton directly to see if they could extent the stay to include the first 2 nights, but they are sold out.

We have a month and some fairly good back-up choices, so I will keep trying.

How often does Hotwire offer new deals?

many thanks,

Sparky

The hotels offered thru HOTWIRE are constantly changing, based upon changes in the rates the hotels are offering to hotwire. HOTWIRE will show the least expensive property at each star rating for the dates you search.

As far as 6 Columbus Circle vs. Super8, i don't think there is really any comparision. While the reviews of the Super8 are good, it is a budget hotel and therefore guests have certain expectations (which are usually low). 6 Columbus Circle on the otherhand is a new, 'chic', hotel with a lot of hype surrounding its debut. Given its high-end location the rooms are reportedly very small (real estate is VERY EXPENSIVE), but you can expect high end amenities (a more comfortable bed than the Super8, higher thread count linen, sheets, etc)... for me it would be an easy choice (ie- Columus Circle) unless room size is an important aspect for you.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

do you know where exactly the 6 Columbus Circle is located? In relation to Times Square? The Millennium Hilton seems be about 10 blocks or a $15 cab ride away. For the first 2 nights we really want to be in "the heart of all the hustle and bustle" seeing that most of our activities for those 2 days are in that area. I am thinking we will go with the Super 8, pending not getting a better deal on a 3 or 4 star for those dates.

:)

The Millennium Hilton seems be about 10 blocks or a $15 cab ride away
:) Did you mean the Millenium Hilton above, as the Hilton is Downtown and a lot further than 10 blocks from Times Square.

6 Columbus Circle is on 58th and Broaday/Columbus, right near the SouthWest Corner of Central Park. If you wanted to go from here to Times Square, you'd walk south on broadway and you'll walk right into it.

Please keep all posts for the same stay in the same thread... if you ultimately use HOTWIRE we'll then move the entire thread to the hotwire section of the board.

For help identifying the above property, what are the full list of amenities that HOTWIRE associates with the property you're being offered?

thanks, not great reviews on the Buckingham, going to stay away from that one.

Can you suggest a strategy for a 3.5-4 * for times square for the dates I need. i have tried priceline (through savingsbarn this time) but maybe my $280 is too low. What would you suggest. FOr those 2 nights (nov 28-30) we really want to be in the middle of it all....any and all help is appreciated!!

Can you suggest a strategy for a 3.5-4 * for times square for the dates I need
There is no 3.5* bidding on priceline, and more importantly, there is no 'Times Square' zone. MTW includes the heart of Times Square, but there are also many hotels (ie- most) which are outside of the center of the zone... so not sure if you'd be happy with a result in this area.

As i've been trying to convince you, you really don't need to be "in the middle of it all"... unless you want to dine at Chilis and Red Lobster while in NYC (and i recommend you don't). To take a step backwards, what exactly is it that you think you will be doing in Times Square? It would be difficult to spend a whole day there, and even if your hotel is in the exact center of it, i'd guess that you'd likely be spending parts of your day(s) in other parts of the city.

So what areas are really close...I just think that it would be neat to stay there in times square. Most people that I know who have travelled there say that it;s the area to stay in. Never being there I am on the advice of others on what is the best to do. So knowing what you do about what we want , what areas would you suggest that I bid for these first two nights. I am under the impression that DT is quite a ways from times square. Just want a decent hotel for a good price close to everything.

for the first night we are seeing the tree at rockerfella center light up, so being close to that for that first night is important. Then exploring the area the next day, shopping and then maybe seeing another show the second night, so again I figure that being in the theatre district will be better than requiring cab fares.

Thats my logic, but like I said I am a "green" NY tourist and appreciate your advice.

In previous years, the tree lights up about 9pm... if you want to see it light up, you'll probably be there by 4pm or not much thereafter. My opinion, not a fun way to spend 5 hours of your vacation, but even if you do want to do this...

Cab fare in NYC is fairly inexpensive, and the subway is even cheaper and often a better way to get around town. I'm not suggesting you stay downtown for this leg of your stay (since you'll already be there for the other leg of your stay), but just about any of the midtown zones should be fine. If you needed to take a cab from one place in midtown to another, depending upon traffic, you're usually looking at less than $10 (subway or bus is only $2/pp, but hopefully you'll be buying a weekly pass for that anyway, so it's 'included' :) )... so really no point in spending a lot of extra money to be in a specific location when for just $10 you can get there easily enough (although many places will easily be walkable). For example, from Colubus Circle to Rock Center is just about 8 blocks... not a distance you would take a cab for (ie- 20 city blocks = 1 mile, so you're looking at less than 1/2 mile, or about a 10 minute walk... or you could hop on the subway for 1 stop and be there in less than 5 minutes). Similar story from the South... easily hopping on the subway for 1 or 2 stops (depending upon where you are located) and being there in 5 minutes. If you end up on the east side it's slightly more complicated, but really not a big deal at all.

So the bottomline is that it's easy to get to Times Square in a very short period of time, and once there, you'll probably be walking from one point to another anyway... really no sense in trying to be in the center of it.

The HOTWIRE hotel above is a match for the Empire Hotel so that would be our best guess for that property.

Please use this HOTWIRE link to begin any purchases you make.

Regarding your failed priceline bids... you were previously rejected up to $280 for these dates, was the above (up to $180) for a 3* or 4* property?

Last time I stayed in NYC, I was very happy to stay in a smaller neighborhood just to the West of Times Square (although I wouldn't recommend the hotel I stayed at.) I also liked the Midtown East area a lot. I liked visiting Times Square (although the funny thing is, now that I think about it, I really didn't spend all that much time there), I would NOT have wanted to stay there.

I was happy to walk out of the hotel and not be in the middle of the hustle and bustle (I can't imagine how busy TS is in December, and I can't say I'd want to be staying in the midst of that traffic) and be in someplace that had more of a neighborhood feel. But, if I did want to go to Times Square, it was literally only 4-5 blocks away.

I really recommend considering MTE - there's so much more to NYC than Times Square, really. Midtown East would put you in a great area, but you'd still be within reasonable distance of Times Square if you wanted to go there.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]