Cheap destinations beginning of November?

asc
By asc,
in

My birthday and my wife's birthday both fall in the first week of November, so we always go on vacation then. Most of the time we go camping, but occasionly mix it up and go to a big city. I've learned that for New York and Chicago this is a very expensive time for hotels. So my question is -

Are there any cities that are actually a good bargain the first half of November? As in <$100/ night to stay in a nice hotel in a happening metro...

all thoughts are appreciated!

Looking at 11/1-7

You could probably get a hotel in Seattle for under $100 first week of Nov. Priceline would be the better option, I'd think.

Los Angeles - yes (there are listings under $100 for 11/1-7 on Hotwire)

San Diego - doesn't seem likely.

San Fran - maybe with Priceline. Hotwire doesn't have much.

Vegas - a couple things on Hotwire just under $100 - you'd probably get a better deal via PL.

NYC - no

Chicago - You may actually be able to squeak just under $100 by using Priceline, depending on your dates. No guarantees though. Hotwire has what appears to be the Drake hotel for $139.

Boston - way no on Boston. Convention must be occuring.

Washington, DC - You may luck out via PL. Not too much on HW.

Tampa, FL - Yes

Orlando, FL - Yes

You really have to be more specific on dates though, as Chicago can be around $100 one day and around $300 per night the next, and the same thing for other big cities.

I don't know where you're starting from, but you could spend a day or two in Chicago and combine that with some camping (or camp first, then come back to the city) in WI if you want to make a longer camp/city trip. There's some really nice camping in WI (Door County, Devil's Lake, etc.)

Devil's Lake (WI): http://www.devilslakewisconsin.com/

Peninsula State Park (WI - Door County): http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/land/parks/...ific/peninsula/

There's also Starved Rock in IL, which is just SW (probably about 90 minutes or so, depending on traffic) of Chicago.

Starved Rock Lodge - http://www.starvedrocklodge.com/

Starved Rock State Park: http://www.starvedrockstatepark.org/

The dates are flexible, but I'm probably looking at 4 nights between the 3rd & 11th.

However, my question is actually more general in nature. I'm just wondering if these dates are a particularily good time of year to get a bargain in certain markets. I learned a couple years ago that this really wasn't the best time to visit NYC (although I loved the trip!). So is the beginning of November actually 'off-season' anywhere or will most metro areas run higher than usual this time of year?

<<However, my question is actually more general in nature. I'm just wondering if these dates are a particularily good time of year to get a bargain in certain markets.>

It's hard to say because there's conventions and other events that can cause additional traffic. I remember November being pretty decent in Chicago last year, but there are a few major conventions this year causing dates that weren't bad last year to be busy and expensive this year.

Same way in other major markets - dates that could be cheap last year could be bad this year.

In general (ie assuming there aren't conventions or other similar issues in your location), early November is not high season in Minneapolis, Denver, most of Canada (Montreal? Toronto? Vancouver?), and much of Florida. However, there are reasons for that, so just be aware:

Minneapolis - it's probably getting cold

Canada - ditto, in general

Denver - cold, yet it's too early to have good skiing

Florida - you are still in hurricane season

I'd check those out and see if you can find something enticing.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$10 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: SAVEMORE

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $100+ purchase... expires 05/19/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]