Priceline Hotel: 4* DC (Conv Ctr/Cap Hill) Grand Hyatt Washington

gleff
By gleff,
in

The lesson here is that just because a hotel -- or nearly every hotel -- is sold out, doesn't mean there isn't Priceline availability. And that Priceline availability changes day to day.

This week the World Bank is meeting in DC. There are protestors. And there's a huge pro-choice walk/protest (scheduled around the World Bank, believe it or not... as a way of picking up extra folks to participate who will be in town anyway).

Plus it's school trip time for DC. There just aren't hotels available in town. The Best Western wants $667. The Washington Terrace Hotel where I can often call up and get a $99 rate wants $1000.

So I had someone coming into town tonight (4/19) and couldn't get anything on Priceline at the 4* level anywhere. Hotwire offered only one hotel for $250. I managed to book the Hotel Rouge via SideStep for $219 when their website said sold out.

Done? Hardly. I found out someone else needed a room for tomorrow night. Again there's virtually nothing available for less than $300 except outside the City at the quality of a Days Inn. Orbitz had a prepaid rate at the Hilton Washington & Towers for $100, but it was for a "parlor room with sofa bed" .. Not! Hotwire had a room that may have been at the same property for $130, otherwise their best bet was $265.

So I just took a stab in the dark with Priceline, even though there was nothing available for the previous night. I probably overbid, as I hit it on my first shot in my ideal location..

Your Offer Price: $100.00

Number of Rooms: 1

Number of Nights: 1

Subtotal: $100.00

Taxes & Service Fees: $20.24

Total Charges: $120.24

Now, the Grand Hyatt wanted $399 for a room directly. Expedia said rooms were only available with a 4 night minimum stay. So I tell ya, gotta love Priceline! This is actually my first choice property for this person's stay.

Your post is "right on". I'm currently staying at the Hotel Topaz (Kimpton property) in Dupont Circle zone. My stay is April 19-22, three nights. I have been bidding this trip since early February, with absolutely no luck w/Priceline. I have made multiple bids every 72 hours for over two months! Your comment with regards to Priceline's availability changing on a daily basis is all too true. My last bid of $120 for the Convention Center zone placed on Sunday 4/18 was rejected! I capped my bid at $120 as that is the rate I have at the Topaz (fully cancellable up to 24 hours prior). I was willing to bid up to my Topaz rate in order to accrue additional nights with Gold Passport, assuming I'd get assigned the Grand Hyatt when bidding the Convention Center zone.

I'm very fortunate to have landed the Topaz for $120 I found through wholesaler 'RoomsForLess.com' as Kimpton was charging $249 directly through the hotel itself. This is not a week to be paying conventional rates in DC!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]