Hotwire Hotel: 3* San Francisco (Japantown-Civic Center North ) Opal

Ash2007
By Ash2007,
in

Hi,

I'm new here!!

We're traveling to San Francisco in Dec. We prefer to stay downtown but budget is an issue. Was looking for advice, do you figure we should book now or wait until november for the best deals. I have tried priceline but all bids for $65 and below have been rejected. On Hotwire there is the option of $46 for a Japantown 3* hotel which research shows may be the Opal but we're weary of the 'tenderlon' location. What do you think?

Thanks for answering.

Ash

From what I've seen on Hotwire, rates are quite cheap. I would think one could get a 4* for around $80 in USE or USW. With what appears to be the Omni for $119/nite in Hotwire's Embarcadero area and and other 4* just over $100. For a few more $$$, I'd try for 4*'s first. Nothing beats the service at the Omni, which I will usually book via HOTWIRE for a few $$$ more than bidding on Priceline, and not being sure which hotel I will get. Good luck.

Will you be driving? The hotels in Union Square typically charge $40-50/night to park.

The Opal Hotel is about a mile from the Tenderloin. There are other shady areas near the Opal but those blocks are not the Tenderloin. Some of the 4* hotels in USW, like the Hilton or Parc 55, are only a couple blocks from the Tenderloin...much nearer to the Tenderloin than the Opal is.

If you use common sense I don't think you need be too concerned about crime whether you stay in Union Square OR at the Opal. If you're budget is $65 then I would go with the Opal at $46, a known hotel, over the 2.5* or 2* you might get for $65 or less near Union Square. The Opal price also includes free breakfast.

Good luck whichever route you go. If you do purchase the Opal please use this HOTWIRE link.

Since you're staying 6 nights you also have the option of staying 3 nights at the Opal and using your savings to stay 3 nights at a 3* or 4* in Union Square. Your total average budget for the 6 nights could still come in around your $65 limit.

• 2 months later...

we returned about 5 days ago from our two week trip. i eventually used hotwire for 4 different bids during the two weeks. i booked first time for $59/night for what turned out to be the Opal (Japantown, Civic Centre north) from dec. 13 - 15, 07, second for $59/night (also Opal) for dec. 16-19, 07. we also booked an suv for a week for a total cost of $252. last bid was at $50/night accepted by homewood suites sfo north from dec. 23 - 26, 07. the tenderloin area didn't turn out to be as much a concern but the homeless people in the street were.

amenities at all hotels were as quoted. the opal wasn't bad at all for the price. location was excellent and i thought value for money was great. only thing that bothered me was the musty smell in the room at our second stay there. homewood suites was absolutely excellent. very clean rooms, great staff, warm breakfast, free parking.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]