Priceline Hotel: 2.5* Newark (Jersey City) Courtyard

JamminJ
By JamminJ,
in

A large group of us is going in November to NYC and plan on staying in Jersey. We are looking at the DoubleTree in Jersey City. We would like to have 'suites' because we are traveling with children.

On priceline, looks like the only other 3* is the Hyatt, which wouldn't be bad, but prefer DoubleTree.

So I am confused as to whether start 'low' and maybe end up with Hyatt, or do I start higher, and hope for DoubleTree. But assuming if I start 'higher', I might still end up with the Hyatt??

My dates:

11/23/2007 (Fri) - 11/25/2007 (Sat)

looking for 3 rooms (will have children, but looks like Priceline won't allow me to add them, is that a problem?)

Thanks for any help.

Currently Hyatt's website is showing sold out, as well as Expedia.

Double Tree is quoting 279, and Expedia quotes 252

showing a consistent sold out on the Hyatt (I am still checking other sites), does that mean that DoubleTree would be the only viable 3*?

We have seen before where a hotel shows soldout and still comes up on a winning bid. The hotel could have a min number of nights setup in there system to get a reservation but still give PL one night inventory.

We have seen before where a hotel shows soldout and still comes up on a winning bid. The hotel could have a min number of nights setup in there system to get a reservation but still give PL one night inventory.

thought that might be the case. But since we are looking for three rooms over 5 days, the hope is that they actually would be sold out. But like I said, Hyatt wouldn't kill us, but want to make the best case to the rest of my group before I try priceline, AND prepare them for Hyatt if DoubleTree doesn't pan out.

So I am confused as to whether start 'low' and maybe end up with Hyatt, or do I start higher, and hope for DoubleTree. But assuming if I start 'higher', I might still end up with the Hyatt??
See this thread: Don't Bid Higher for a Specific Hotel.
(will have children, but looks like Priceline won't allow me to add them, is that a problem?)
It could be... priceline only guarantees double occupancy... after that it is at the discretion of the hotel. See the related link in our PRICELINE FAQ. HOTWIRE will allow you to search for up to quad occupancy, but the Hyatt doesn't seem to be offered for your dates and i don't believe the Doubletree currently participates with HOTWIRE.

Feel free to ask any additional questions you have. Talk to the other members of your group and let us know how you'd like ot proceed and we'll take it from there. I'd also ask them if SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID is an option as well as the maximum budget (per nite) for this stay.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Just talking it over with my wife about the splitting. That is not going to be an option with us due to having children with us. Seems like we would waste a day moving from one hotel to another if the reservations were split.

Now the question is, do we take a chance with the kids on a double occupancy room. Most of the children are under 3, with none being teenagers. Would they really make a fuss over 2 adults, 2 children?? I guess by the 'letter of the law', they can turn us away.

Not sure what to do at this point. Like I said, we would prefer the DoubleTree, but could live with the Hyatt (I guess) :)

With children under 3 at a Jersey City hotel, i (personally) wouldn't worry too much about it, my thoughts would be different in Manhattan itself, but as you say, "the letter of the law...."

If you did split, you wouldn't waste a day transfering hotels... maybe an hour tops, but it is an inconveniece, one which not everyone is willing to take.

If you'd like to bid, what is your maximum budget per nite per room?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

We were ready to purchase Embassy at Secaucus for 214 per night per room, which was really going to stretch the budget.

If we were to get something more around 125 would be awesome.

Our goal is not necessarily to get the absolute lowest rate, but something to make the group happy and have some extra change to spend in city.

thanks.

My initial guess is that it will take more than $125/nite, but we'll try to work our way up to that over the next few days...

I'd start as follows:

At the 3* level you have one re-bid zone. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 3* Jersey City....

Bid $85, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $100.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

Ok, now that you were generous to offer me a strategy for the 3* - how about adding another level to that.

I was reading some more reviews on the Courtyard Marriott, and although not a suite, it is currently listed as the only 2.5*.

Might be a little easier for others in the group if we had a more definite idea of the hotel. Some are having a hard time with the PL concept.

But I don't see any recent winning bids for that hotel.

Any idea on that hotel?

Be sure to read the comments at the top of the Priceline Hotel LIst... you could receive a different hotel.

As well, not only is this hotel is rarely won, but rates for your dates are $300+ nite, which reduces the chances of receiving it even more. You could add 2.5* to your bidding, or bid that zone only, but if going to only bid that zone you reduces you bidding opportinities (since there are no re-bid zones at the 2.5* level) and i think if you are successful, it will be because you were ultimately upgraded to a 3* property on your 2.5* bid (another reason why you can't be 'sure' of the Courtyard when bidding 2.5*... that is the minimum you are willing to accept, and you could be upgraded to a higher rated hotel)

Let us know how you want to proceed.

ARGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

I am having problems getting everyone on the same page. Now one couple wants to just stay put in Secaucus paying rack rate at Embassy.

I am ok with either Courtyard, DoubleTree, or Hyatt at Jersey City.

I am at the point of just making a bid for our family and telling others that that's where we are going to be at.

If I was to start at 2.5* shooting for the Courtyard (but ok with the others), where should I start.

Also being aware, that time is also not on my side, with a busy weekend, and some places showing as sold out... as well as others waiting, I would like to bid with the best chance of winning.

what would be my plan of attack.

I am having problems getting everyone on the same page...
See this happen all the time.
Also being aware, that time is also not on my side, with a busy weekend, and some places showing as sold out... as well as others waiting, I would like to bid with the best chance of winning.
I disagree... time is on your side. Two months in a long time in priceline/HOTWIRE terms.
If I was to start at 2.5* shooting for the Courtyard (but ok with the others), where should I start.
You should start with 3* bidding and then drop down to 2.5*... this will give you a total of three bids per bidding cycle. If you first bid 2.5* you only get two bids per bidding cycle. Given you feel time is against you, or that you're trying to get this done sooner rather than later, i'd recommend bidding the 3* and then bidding the 2.5* (although as i've stated previously, i think your chances of actually receiving a 2.5* property are very slim)

Sorry for not being clearer, and the continual change of plans.

I am bidding for 2 rooms.

Right now our goal is to get rooms in Jersey City, willing to go up to 175 per room, per night - shooting for Courtyard, Doubletree, or Hyatt.

We have a back up in Secaucus for 155night, but would prefer to be on the PATH line instead of bus.

I will tell the rest of the group where we will be at if Priceline works out, and they can go from there.

I would wait 24 hours after your last rejected bid and try as follows:

Select 3* Jersey City....

Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $150, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously (You have to close the browser and 'star fresh' in order to clear the re-bid zone)

Select 2.5* Jersey City (so that only Jersey City is selected)...

Bid $115.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Well, success this morning.

Tried several times this morning.

Last bid was 155, with an offer to add 25, accepted - and received Courtyard by Marriott Jersey City. Exactly what we wanted.

(total bids on 2.5* - 115, 125, 135, 145, 155, 180win)

we bid on two rooms for a TOTAL of $2,113.46

= total per room $1,056.73 for 5 nights.

Hotel site rates per room for 5 nights = $1,749.90 (for two rooms = 3,499.80)

For a TOTAL savings on two rooms = $1,386.34!!!!

AND we got the exact hotel we (I) wanted.

Not sure what happened yesterday with the browser 'refresh', but this morning my bids were done on two separate computers, each using a different browser each bid.

THANKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP. With my first attempt at this, it was a little nerve wracking, especially when other travelers are involved. But now that I know about this website, I know me and my immediate family might actually travel a little more knowing that there is these kinds of savings.

Thanks again, and of course used SAVINGSBARN.COM

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]