Priceline Hotel: Chicago (Michigan Ave) Sept 26 & 27 (4*+)

athtrasna
By athtrasna,
in

Trying to book a room in Chicago for hubby and me in late September. We are tied to dates so it's Setpember 26-28. It's convention time again so 4* coming in at $300+. Couldn't get the Grand Hyatt on the travelzoo deal even though our dates are within the included range. So far have tried up to $120 for 4+ and boutique. How high do we need to go?

PS am using links requested

Can't say what it will ultimately take, but i think more than "a little bit more" than you're currently bidding.

I did find 4* hotels in the low/mid-$200's which are cancellable which you might want to use as a back-up, although i'm not sure how high you're willing to go before lowering your star rating.

Affnia Chicago thru Quickbook for $230/nite (non-refundable)

Affnia Chicago thru Quickbook for $254/nite (refundable)

Swissotel for $250/nite

What is your gameplan for how you're willing to go before staying outside of downtown or lowering your star quality?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Ideally we don't want to have to change either star rating or location. It's a brief stay, we arrive late Weds night and leave early Friday morning so location is important. I think we paid about $180 on HOTWIRE this time last year for the James just off Michigan so don't want to go above that really.

We're seasoned priceline/hotwirers so know not to panic yet but there didn't seem to be any other posters here for those dates hence my asking....

Thanks for those links thereyouare...will give it a week and then book something cancellable just in case!

I think we paid about $180 on HOTWIRE this time last year...

If you search HOTWIRE you'll see that rates currently near the prices you paid last year. You do have some time though, and rates can (and do) change... hopefully they will for the better.

I wouldn't wait to book a cancellable back-up, this is obviously a high demand period, and rates could get worse, as well as seeing your current back-up options no longer be available. Booking a cancellable back-up now can't hurt... but it could help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

A final update on this. We received gift vouchers for a local travel agent as a gift. That agent was able to get us the Hilton on South Michigan for about $200 a night and the vouchers covered about $250 of that so we decided to take that option and cancel the Affinia.

Thanks for all your help on this, now off to sort our last 2 nights in Alaska, see if we can get a better deal in Vegas than our cancellable reservation and book an airport hotel at LAX. Will post any results we get through priceline and/or hotwire and use all requested links.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]