Hotwire Hotel: 3.5-star hotel in Magnificent Mile Area - Streeterville

Fank
By Fank,
in

I'm looking at visiting Chicago the first week of September. Hotwire lists a 3.5 hotel in Streeterville area for $106. The codes says its a suite and includes breakfast. Anyone have a guess as to what hotel it might be? And is it a good hotel? I've never been to Chicago before. I'm taking the trip for my 50th birthday. I want to see the sights, take in the museums, the pier, the parks etc. Is the magnficant mile area a good place to use as a point of departure?

Here is the complete list:

Suite

A guestroom designed for an extended stay and/or that more spacious than the average hotel room. Suites typically offer residential-style furnishings, as well as separate living and sleeping areas; some also offer kitchenettes.Complimentary Breakfast

<amenity names only please... not descriptions>

Fitness Center

Guests have access to exercise equipment; an additional charge may apply.

Pool(s)

Property offers at least one pool area; hours and dates of operation may be seasonal.

Restaurant(s)

Property offers at least one restaurant on the premises; hours and days of operation may vary.

Business Center

Guests have access to business equipment and services; an additional charge may apply.

Kitchenette

Accommodations include a stovetop or microwave oven, a sink and a mini-refrigerator.

It would appear to be the Embassy Suites Lakefront. In terms of it being a good deal, to be honest, any time you can get a nicer 3* or 4* hotel in Chicago between May and September, it's a good deal. :)

If this is the ES Lakefront, it's in an excellent location, and the free breakfast and evening reception would be a bonus.

Topic moved to Illinois area.

As for sights, I would not recommend spending much time at Navy Pier; it's a tourist trap with few positives to it. If you do stay at the ES Lakefront, I'd recommend strolling to the Pier early in the AM, taking in the views and that's really it. Otherwise, the Pier is largely so-so restaurants, booths selling trinkets and rides. There is a small stained glass museum; that's one of the few pros.

Instead of time spent at the pier, I'd recommend heading up to the zoo, which is free and much more memorable (not only is it a nice zoo, but some of the buildings are incredibly historic landmarks that have been there for ages) than the Pier.

If you provide your dates of travel, I'd be happy to kind of give you an "outline"/example itinerary, based upon the amount of time you have. Additionally, I'd also be happy to give directions, so you know where to go prior to getting here.

Thankfully you weren't here celebrating your b-day last night; what a nightmare it was here with the storms. :)

Thanks everyone for all of the terrific help.

We're looking at driving in on Tuesday, September 4th and leaving on Friday September 7th.

I found the rates during the week much more reasonable. Am I correct in assuming there aren't as many theatre and or music options during the week? I love theatre and dance my husband likes jazz and contemporary music.

There's always concerts going on somewhere in the city, and weekdays are usually as busy as weekends. If you are a fan of jazz, one of the more popular downtown establishments is http://www.andysjazzclub.com/ (Andy's Jazz Club), which is centrally located, so it shouldn't be a far walk from most downtown hotels. There's also plenty of theatre options during the week, as well. Metromix.com is a good site for entertainment, and as for music, there's the Chicago Reader's early warnings: http://holiday.chicagoreader.com/music/early/

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]