NY NYC Roosevelt Hotel

citylover
By citylover,
in

I got the hotel Roosevelt from Hotwire 03/28/04 to 03/30/04 for $106.00 per night. For the whole stay of two nights total price with taxes & Hotwire booking fees was $249.95.

The hotel is very stately and nice. Once entering you are greeted by stairs. Not good for carting lots of luggage but if you walk to the right at the end of the hall you will find the elevators. It is just not indicated that's what you need to do, so many folks just struggled with baggage up the stairs to the main lobby.

I arrived early and the rooms were not ready and the desk clerk told me to check my bags with the bellman and come back later for my room. Other folks were told the same thing. I informed them at that time that I had a booking from Hotwire and asked if I could have a

non-smoking room and be on a higher floor. She said if possible they would do that. They had no record of my Hotwire booking. I had called Hotwire two hours before arriving and was told the info was being faxed to the hotel at that time. I gave the hotel clerk a copy of my receipt and she noted my room preference on it and took my credit card at that time.

She told me Hotwire often will not fax just one booking they wait until they have several but do not inform the customer of that.

I left to go do some shopping and called Hotwire again to tell them the hotel had not received my booking. They told me it had been sent after my initial call . The rep was very nice and said he would double-check all details. They discovered the fax number they had on file was incorrect and it had been sent to the wrong number. The Hotwire rep kept me on hold and called the hotel directly to get the right fax number and then told me it was now there. I returned to the hotel later and all was ok. They gave me a room on the 8th floor (not that high but ok) and my room was directly across from the elevators.

It had: a king size bed, desk, 2 night tables, TV, high-speed internet connection, ironing board, safe, & was a street view. The room was spacious. Lots of extra pillows and the bed was comfortable. I did hear the elevator bell at times but not often. It was not disturbing.

USA Today was delivered daily. The bathroom was small but nice. There was mouthwash, soap, lotion, shampoo, hairdryer.

No shower cap (but I always travel with one so that was not an issue for me), no coffee-maker, no in-room mini-bar. The mini-bar was no issue but I like it when rooms have the coffee-maker. The towels were large but "hard" seems like no fabric softner used in the laundry.

I found the room chilly at night but could not get the heat to work. I called downstairs and they said that it was on "auto" in the whole building & once the outside temp reached below a certain degree it would function. About an hour later it worked and I was able to control it as I pleased. The only complaint I would have is that I know this is a much older hotel and so the heating unit made periodic loud noises. Old pipes & ssytems I guess. Disturbing for sleep. But maybe not all the rooms have that issue I don't know. However, it did not push me to ask for a room change.

The staff was very nice, the bell service & doorman service great. The room was clean and comfortable. The location was very convenient and lots of shopping & food/coffee places in the area. Close to the subway and easy to get a cab. Immediately to the left of the front door of the hotel is a deli/convenience store that has everything. Great for getting a late night bite or snack or anything at anytime. It stayed open late.

The hotel has a nice bar off the main lobby. I would stay at this hotel again without any problem. For the price I think it is a great deal. The location alone was well worth it.

• 4 years later...

I stayed at the Roosevelt Hotel this past weekend. We arrived about an hour before check in and were given a room right away. The front desk clerk looked up the reservation and stated that we would be given a larger room, and we didn't even ask! The lobby is beautiful and the room we stayed in was clean. We had to check out on at 10 a.m. Sunday morning and recheck into a room with two beds since there were four staying in the room on that night. They checked us out and right back into a new room with no waiting. The service was very friendly and helpful. Sunday night about 2 a.m. we returned to the hotel after a late night and found the lobby blocked off for a film shoot. We went up the the mezzanine and watched Rascal Flats (?) filming a Christmas video in the lobby. My wife knows who they are but I have no idea. Anyway, I would love to stay in this hotel again. The location is only a few blocks from Rockefeller Center and within walking distance of Times Square without being right in the middle of it.

• 1 month later...

I got this room through "name your price" at Priceline for $99/night for December 23, 2008, 3.5 stars.

The location is excellent - easy walking distance to Grand Central Station (trains and subway), 5th Avenue, etc. The hotel itself is quite grand, especially when all decked out for Christmas, and the staff is professional, knowledgable, and helpful. The rooms themselves are a bit hit-or-miss (I have stayed here before), but we got a lovely room that was attractive, comfortable, and spotless. The room size is reasonable for NYC, which means there's not a lot of unused floor space, but that didn't matter to us, since we were just staying one night and didn't have any luggage.

I woke up quite early on the morning of the 24th, and was delighted to discover a 24-hour pay-as-you-go computer center on the main floor. I don't recall the exact per-minute charge, but know that it was quite reasonable. I spent some time there while waiting for the coffee bar to open at, I believe, 7 a.m (it is set up at the main bar, and serves Starbucks drinks). Sitting in a deep-backed chair with my coffee and a newspaper, listening to Christmas music and admiring the holiday decorations, I felt very relaxed and peaceful - it was a lovely start to my Christmas holiday. Of course, ninety minutes later the lobby was bustling, and the foyer was filled with camera-toting visitors, but at 7:15 am, it was lovely.

I had a problem with the hotel charging me for my stay (although I had paid through Priceline), which the hotel resolved in ten seconds. I tried to go through Priceline first (as advised by Priceline), but they didn't have anyone on duty who could help me until 8 am (I had already burned 20 cellphone minutes getting to that point), so I swung by the front desk, just in case. I expected them to direct me back to Priceline, but instead I got an immediate apology, and an assurance that my account was settled. Wonderful!

In summary, we had an extremely positive experience at the Roosevelt, and were disappointed when it was time for us to leave.

• 4 months later...

Just returned from this hotel and the location is fabulous. The breakfast place "Todd and Blake" across the street is less gourmet than "Dishes", but is a very reasonable, good fast deli with a grill. They have a 4.95 breakfast there.

Go to Happy Hour or at night up at the Mad46 ( 19th floor of hotel) lounge for a lovely outdoor drink experience. It is very popular with the local young business people.

Closest free internet is the NY Public library. You get 45 min/day. Kinko's is $18.00/hour.

We had two different rooms. Part of our group asked for two beds and were given them after asking "Who wanted the two beds?".

Our "cozy queen" was just that. Bathrooms are dated but face-lifted with a sometimes messy paint job and messy tub re-caulking, but our room was clean and the bed was fine. No in-room coffee maker, but I think I read somewhere that someone had been able to get one.

Bellman and doorman seem to have attitude sometimes.

But in general the staff was very congenial. I can only say praise for them as they quickly and professionally resolved a medical emergency for my mom while she was there.

I would not be unhappy getting this same hotel again on priceline. Our rooms were not luxurious, but it definitely was a positive experience all round.

• 7 months later...

I bid on Priceline in September for December 17 - 20, 2009 dates. I lost bid at $138 but won at $145. I have only positive things to say about the hotel and its staff. We arrived on an early flight so our room wasn't ready. She asked if we would accept two doubles instead of the one King Priceline gave us. I said yes and was amazed at the size of the room. It was the same size as a hotel in another large city, everything worked, and the beds were quite comfortable. I have only experienced tiny rooms in NYC in the past. Roads are loud here like all other places. If you have never been to NYC, take ear plugs for sleepig as the roads are horrible with the steel plates and very loud. This is not of course under any hotel's control. If you want a 'southern style breakfast' go to the Red Flame Diner (67 West 44th St - btw 5th an 6th). It is similar to an IHOP, Waffle House, Denny's restaraunt and we ate there for about $10 each. Service was very efficient. I would definitely stay at the Roosevelt again and be pleased if I won it on Priceline or Hotwire.

• 1 month later...

Follow up on Roosevelt stay... Stated check in time was 4pm, but room was ready at 3pm. I requested (with a smile) a Non-Smoking and preferable quiet room at check-in. Clerk upgraded me (without me requesting) to a Superior King with no charge. Room was non smoking but right next to the vending and ice machine. Not a quiet location, but it didn't bother me. Room was clean and everyting worked. Nice linens and a comfortable bed. The hotel in General is kinda worn out, but everything was perfectly adequate. Location is great! At check-out I inquired about getting a room with two beds for my next stay. I informed the clerk that I book thru PL, and she told me the Upgrade (if available) would cost approx. $70/nt for a 2 Dbl Bed Room.

Thanks for all your help!

• 2 months later...

Upon check-in when I asked for a two-bedded room for one of our two reservations through PRICELINE, the receptionist asked me WHO was the room with 2 beds FOR? It was for my elderly mother and another female friend. They conceded with no problem but it was NOT an upgrade and was fairly "tight" and we were not asked to pay anything.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]