Priceline Hotel: 2.5* Hartford (Farmington-New Britain) Marriott

steveref
By steveref,
in

Need to stay in Farmington for one night, Oct. 19. Based on the list of Priceline hotels on this board it appears that the Farmington Marriott (2.5*) is the only possibility in the Farmington-New Britain zone. The non-opaque sites show $115 as the lowest price. Since I have more than two months lead time, I thought I'd start with a low-ball bid. So far my 2.5* bids (the highest star level in this zone) have been rejected at $40 and $45. Anyone have a feel for what PL will ultimately accept?

Welcome to BetterBidding!

it appears that the Farmington Marriott (2.5*) is the only possibility in the Farmington-New Britain zone
Not necessarily, be sure to read the comments at the top of the Priceline Hotel List. As well, i think the property reported is the Marriott Farmington and not necessarily the Courtyard (both are in this zone).

Hard to say what it will ultimately take, but i'd guess $55-$75, although you're going about it the right way and increasing systematically.

As well, not sure if you made the above two bids on the same day or on consecutive days, but you do have one re-bid zone avaialble at the 2.5* level (just in case you're not using it, see Priceline Re-Bidding Explained)

Keep us updated as to your progress or if we can help further.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for the reply. Given that I still have a two-month lead time I didn't feel compelled to re-bid immediately with the re-bid zone. I like the strategy and will definitely use it when time is a factor.

Since I posted three days ago I have increased my bids to $49, $52 and $54, all of which have been rejected. However, on the $54 bid I received this message from Priceline: If you are willing to raise your price by $15, you can try the same request again right now.

I have several questions:

• If I increased my bid by the suggested amount is it guaranteed to be accepted?
  • If I reject their offer what is the likelihood that a bid between $54 and $69 will be accepted?
  • Is Priceline tracking my bidding history and perhaps knowing that they will accept a bid slightly higher than $54 trying to coerce me into submitting a higher offer in an attempt to maximize their profit?

Would appreciate your insight.

If I increased my bid by the suggested amount is it guaranteed to be accepted?
If you accept their offer right away the chances are excellent... essentially it means that they can complete your transaction at that bid amount. However, it is possible that only one room is remaining at that price, and while you think about it, or proceed to re-submit your bid, somebody could have bid that same amount for your date(s) and taken the last room available at that price.
If I reject their offer what is the likelihood that a bid between $54 and $69 will be accepted?
Very good. See Priceline Counter Offer for more info. Note that you'll need to use a re-bid zone (if available) to bid again if you wish to try to undercut the suggested price... if you don't change anything you can't bid less than the $69 suggested amount as priceline won't even look at it.
Is Priceline tracking my bidding history and perhaps knowing that they will accept a bid slightly higher than $54 trying to coerce me into submitting a higher offer in an attempt to maximize their profit?
Not tracking your bidding history... just trying to complete a transaction and make a 'match' between you and a hotel (as they do make money that way). But likewise, they're not going to suggest the lowest possible price, so there is some 'margin' built into the suggested price. Again, see the "priceline counter-offer" link above for a further discussion.

PS- notice the 'suggested price is within the $55-$75 price we previously suggested it would likely take :)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

This evening my offer of $57 was rejected but was told that if I raise my price by $17 I can resubmit right away. This would bring my offer up to $74. The other day my offer of $54 was rejected and I was asked to raise my price by $15, bringing the total up to $69.

Is the increased target price reflective of a change in room availability or is there some other strategy in play on the part of Priceline?

The change in price of the counter-offer is most likely not indicative of a change in inventory.

Latest offer of $61 was accepted. Accessed Priceline through www.savingsbarn.com

Rejected bids: $40, $45, $49, $52, $54, $55, $56, $57, $58, $59, $60.

Check-In Date: Friday, October 19, 2007

Check-Out Date: Saturday, October 20, 2007

Hotel Name: Hartford Marriott Hotel Farmington (2.5*)

15 Farm Springs

Farmington, Connecticut 06032

860-678-1000

thereuare, can you please repost with this topic heading: 2.5* Hartford (Farmington-New Britain) Marriott

$61 ... 10/19/07

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]