Canada Toronto Downtown Courtyard by Marriott

gleemonex
By gleemonex,
in

Dates of stay: aug 27 - sept 2, 2003

I got this for $35 a night via priceline and was very pleased. A lot of people seem to feel that this is one of the less desirable properties in Priceline's Toronto 3* category. However, it more than suited my basic needs, and I found the location to be excellent, with the College Subway station a mere block away, and College Street's streetcars as well.

No mention of priceline at check-in, the clerk didn't try to upsell me an upgrade. I received a typical guestroom on the sixth floor with a view of Yonge Street. The room was very clean with typical appointments (19" color TV, cable, desk, coffee maker, iron, etc...). There's a pool and jacuzzi on the basement level (along with the fitness center), which seemed to be very popular with the families.

The Staff were friendly and courteous, although I didn't have to interact with them all that much during my stay.

There's lots of fast food available in the area (McDonald's right across the street, Pizza Hut around the corner at Carlton & Yonge, Fran's Diner, Tim Horton's), with even more further south on Yonge, towards Eaton Centre. You're also just a streetcar's ride from Little Italy, which has some fabulous dining.

Need some last minute personal hygene items or some aspirin? No problem, there's a drug store right next door that's open until midnight.

Would I stay here again? You bet!

In fact, I've got another stay booked 4/22 to 5/1 2004 (again, through priceline, $31 a night).

• 1 month later...

Date of Stay 12th May 2004

I've won this hotel 3 times on Priceline with $32-$34 bids and have always been satisfied. I once got the Marriott Eaton Centre (for around the same price) which is slightly better but am always happy with the Courtyard. It's only a couple of blocks from the Eaton Centre (if shopping is your thing) but I like the location because it's close to Ryerson University where my daughter goes.

The staff have always been pleasant and friendly at check-in. The lobby is great. The restaurant & bar look nice but have never used them. I asked for & got a NS Double Queen this time, as my kids stayed too. The room was in the North Tower on the 6th floor and was great. You always get a newsaper left at your door in the morning. The Pickle Barrel further down Yonge street is great for breakfast.

I used the valet parking this time but found it a bit steep at C$23 including tax. It's a difficult area to park in anyway and I usually leave my car on the street a few blocks away.

• 6 months later...

We stayed here this past Saturday night. I booked 2 rooms back in July. Both accepted at the first bid of $35.00. I called 3 days ago and requested both king non-smoking rooms. I was told that all priceline rooms are always Kings( never heard that before).

Checked in at 5pm, valet parked at an astonishing 20dollars plus tax. Self park is $15.00. I didnt have the time or patience to drive around looking for cheaper parking. The room was basic. Sink area is separate from the bathroom. The bed was the most uncomfortable bed I've ever slept in. :)

We had a 7pm reservation at Il Fornello( excellent Italian food) for our anniversary dinner. We took a taxi there instead of dealing with the parking. Friends met us there and drove us back and checked in. This was around 9pm and they were given 2 queens smoking room. I told them I asked for a non-smoking king and that I confirmed that at check in and I was given the speach about "priceline doesnt guarantee bed type or smoking nonsmoking, blah, blah, blah. My friends took the smoking room and the manager offered us free breakfast which I thought was a nice gesture.

The breakfast was one of the better buffets I've been too, much better than the doubletree at Detroit airport where we stayed 2 weeks ago. It cost 14.50CAD and had an omlet bar, oatmeal, cream of wheat, breakfast meats, fruits, cereals, breads, pancakes, waffles, etc.

My friend made a comment that the hallways were dirty, stained carpet, etc.

I used the workout room which was decent. Treadmills, stairmasters, one multi weight machine, elliptical machines, pool, and jacquzi. The pool is a narrow lap pool and its in the basement.

The location is fabulous, Id stay here again for this price. We usually stay at an airport hotel and drive to TO for the day. I actually prefered this option better.

Happy Travelling, Randi
Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]