Priceline Hotel: Question regarding hotels on Priceline

ERAU123
By ERAU123,
in

Thank you thereuare for the post on cruisemates the other day about the Caribe Hilton. I am now looking at Priceline to get a hotel to try and save money, but I do have a question.

I am going there for a cruise, a pre-cruise hotel one night with another couple. The couple wants to stay at the Caribe Hilton with a balcony, but the prices are getting up there. My question is, they want a balcony, does Priceline quarantee a balcony or do they guarantee a basic room?

Thanx again,

Mark

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Most Priceline (and Hotwire) rooms are booked "Run of House" which means that they are assigned based upon what is available at time of check-in. Usually this, and in addition to the fact that others are spending 2x and 3x more than us to stay at the very same hotel, means that we don't typically get the best rooms the hotel has to offer. However, you may be in a bit of luck here since direct from the Caribe Hilton's website:

Enjoy breathtaking panoramic views of the Atlantic Ocean or verdant tropical gardens from the balcony or terrace of every guestroom.

So much of room selection depends upon hotel occupancy levels, the mood of the desk clerk at time of check-in, availability of rooms that are clean, etc, etc. You may very well get a high floor with a picture perfect view of the ocean, but i don't think that is something you should expect when using Priceilne or Hotwire.

It sounds as if your friends are somewhat particular about their hotels and if you end up booking via Priceline (or Hotwire, where you have a much better chance of getting the Hilton) i wouldn't want to be in your shoes if things go wrong. Even if it's not a Priceline/Hotwire issue, you'll likely still get blamed in their eyes (maybe i misinterpret things, but i would consider their personalities and reactions to them 'not getting exactly what they wanted' before i encouraged them to use Priceline/Hotwire).

Since you say that 'rates are getting up there' perhpas you can do an analysis and explain to them of just how much not being flexible enough to use Priceline or Hotwire is going to cost them. As San Juan is notorious for high prices (and low service) going the traditional booking route may cost an extra $50-$100+ per room per nite!

If you add your date(s) i may be able to add additional, more specific, information.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanx for getting back so quickly!! We will be staying on May 1st for one night and possibly on May 9th for one night, but for May 9th I found a rate at the Wyndham Old San Juan for $145, which isn't too bad. Your perception of my friends is right on. They want the best, but they are not willing to pay for it. So I will put it to them the way you mentioned earlier and see what happens. Maybe the idea of having extra spending money may help the cause.

Thanx,

Mark

Took a quick look at your dates:

May 1: Hilton still expensive, but found a cancellable rate of $190 which includes breakfast and an oceanfront room. Not cheap, but i've seen worse in the area. Terms state that this is cancellable up to 3 days prior to arrival so maybe this would be a good back-up? However, this only appears if you select 1 person in the room. Description sounds like its certainly big enuff for two but don't know if you'd have a problem cashing in that 2nd breakfast. (ie- as per my review, HHonor members (free to join) get free complimentary continental breakfast which should be sufficient before your cruise lunch buffet) I'll look further in the next few days but a little pressed for time right now.

There is also a 3.5* hotel on Hotwire coming up for this day in the $150's which i believe is the Wyndham Old San Juan. I don't think it qualifies as a true "resort" property but may offer a good option as it's right near the cruise pier (unless you're leaving from the PanAm pier) and also gives you the ability to easily walk around Old San Juan.

May 9: Hotwire shows what i believe to be the Inter-Continental for ~$132. If this rate is still available once you confirm your plans, i would sooner take this over the Wyndham. They're in different lcoations, but in my opinion the Inter-Continental has a much better reputation.

NOTE: many Hotwire hotels in this area only differ by one amenity and it can often get confusing keeping them straight... double and triple check everything if/when it comes time for you to actually make your purchase

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]