Hotwire Hotel: 4* NYC (MTW) Sofitel

amnesiac
By amnesiac,
in

I'm trying to find a hotel for the nights of 10/26, 10/27, 10/28. I'm looking at the listings from Hotwire and think I can ID (or at least narrow down) all the 3-4* hotels except one. I see a 3* in Times-Square-Theatre District with fitness, restaurant, business center, laundry, and high speed internet access. I don't see any hotels in the list that match those ammenities.

Also, in general, are the discounts at that time of year very small or non-existant? I've also been trying Priceline (bidding 4* only so far), looking primarily at MW and CPS, but also adding ME. I've bid up to $280 with no luck (using rebid zones and waiting 24 hours). Hotwire has a 4* at $256, but it looks like it's the Millenium UN Plaza (which I don't want). I'd be happy with any 4* and certain 3* hotels (so no bidding on 3* on Priceline). I have a backup, which is a room at 102 Brownstone up in Harlem for $175 per night. I'd be willing to go up to $280, maybe even $300 for a 4* in MW or CPS. I'd be willing to stay in ME, but not if I could end up all the way over by the UN. What's the best way to go? Keep trying on Priceline with the same range of bids to see if anything new pops up? Are 3 night stays more difficult to get on Priceline? Sorry about throwing all these questions into the same message. I appreciate the help.

Welcome to BetterBidding!

This is a peak period for NYC so demand, along with room rates, soar and a deal (or at least what seems like a deal) becomes a bit tougher to come by. For example, you're rejected bids up to $280 would make it seem as if no discounts are available at all, but if you check either Hilton in the MTW zone (Hilton New York or Hilton Times Square) you'll find rates in the mid-$400's... so even a rate of $300 (if successful) would represent some significant savings.

At these prices however, i do think you can come up with better options... many of which are cancellable so you can continue to try the opaque providers, or just use your back-up in lieu of since it may be better than trying for an 'unknown' hotel.

At prices very close to your limit I have found thru GTA Hotels the Shelburne for $303/nite. GTA Hotels states that "the vast majority of their hotels are cancellable without penalty but actual terms/cancellation policy will be shown during the check-out process" so if/while you book this one i would double check the conditions during the checkout process. The reviews are excellent

In case that one is not cancellable, or just to give you another option, you can book the Affinia 50 for $328/nite. This one has no booking fee (so more like a $320 priceline bid) and is cancellable up until 2 days before your check-in date; this is also one of the top 10 user rated hotels in NYC.

Do either of the above work for your needs? Your thoughts?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Those two are definitely options I'm considering. I had been looking at the $299 non-refundable rate at Affinia 50 just the other day. $330 for the non-refundable is perhaps stretching a bit further than I'd like. Is your general recommendation to book a refundable room and then keep checking on Priceline/Hotwire closer to the dates to see if anything comes up? How close to the last minute do deals seem to pop up (the 102 Brownstone room has a 14 day cancellation policy)? Is October such a high demand time that even last minute prices stay high?

Also, did you have any idea on that 3* Hotwire room that I couldn't identify?

Thanks!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]