Priceline Hotel: 4* Chicago (NMA-River North) InterContinental

johnnyb
By johnnyb,
in

Just tried $75 and $81 for a four star on Michigan. Going with our neighbor and I place a bid and then they place a bid. At both those prices there was an option to rebid for an additional $22. Think I would get the $22 rebid option if I bid $65?? HOTWIRE has a room for $135 I wood think I could find something in the $80 price range on priceline.

HOTWIRE has a room for $135 I wood think I could find something in the $80 price range on priceline

A successful priceline bid at $80 would be about a 40% discount from HOTWIRE's rate... which is not commonplace. I think it's a good deal when you're able to get a 40% discount from retail rates, and given that HOTWIRE is another opaque provider, with deeply discounted rates, i think to expect a 40% discount from their rate is a bit optimistic/unrealistic.

Think I would get the $22 rebid option if I bid $65??

Not sure i see the point in trying as it wouldn't tell us much and it would be a wasted bid. What we already know is that you'll very likely be successful between $82 and $97.

It appears you (nor your neighbor) are using your re-bid zones. If not, you can each bid again immediately without waiting the otherwise required 24 hours. You have one re-bid zone available when bidding 4* in Chicago... read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free (recommended) to confirm your re-bid zone with the board before bidding. You don't state your maximum bid, but if you're willingt to go higher i would try again as follows:

You:

Select 4* NMA and re-bid zone bid $86, if that is rejected...

Your neighbor:

Select 4* NMA and re-bid zone bid $90

Any questions (and/or confirming your re-bid zone) feel free to ask.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Not sure i see the point in trying as it wouldn't tell us much and it would be a wasted bid.

I was assuming a room is awarded if you rebid at pricelines prompted $22 increase.

Was hoping to get a room at 80 - 90...$100 tops.

I am a litttle leary about the rebid with the added zone, I do see if I add Midway Airport they have no 4* but would hate to end up out there.

We are using the SavingsBarn link.

I was assuming a room is awarded if you rebid at pricelines prompted $22 increase.

Was hoping to get a room at 80 - 90...$100 tops.

Right, but better to just continue your bidding and gradually increase you bids... if they'll accept $87 ($55 + $22) with such an offer, then they'll also accept that in an "original" bid. If you bid $55 hoping for such a counter-offer and it doesn't come, then it's just a wasted bid.

I am a litttle leary about the rebid with the added zone, I do see if I add Midway Airport they have no 4* but would hate to end up out there.

We all have to bid within our comfort level... you have some time so don't do anything you're not comfortable with :)

I'd still suggest $86 and $90 on your next available round of bidding.

We are using the SavingsBarn link.

Thanks.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Congratulations on your win!

Glad to hear it worked out well for you (less than the $87 you were trying to get in the counter-offer) and that the board as able to help.

Thank you for sharing the results with the board and for using the SavingsBarn.com links to begin your bidding.

I don't know about parking the area, but i suspect AaronJB will be along before long with some suggestions.

Enjoy your stay.

Excellent win, as I really think the Intercontinental is a very cool, huge historic hotel and well-located directly on Michigan Ave. When the hotel is redone in a few years, it won't be the same, so those who get a chance to see it now are lucky.

The hotel pool is absolutely stunning and quite historic; it's one of the first pools built on a higher floor and was considered an engineering feat when built in the late 20's. It was the pool where the original "Tarzan" trained and you can feel the history when you head over to the pool area - which is still the same as it was. The incredible grand ballroom has a 12,000 pound Baccarat crystal chandelier, the largest in North America. Overall, one of the nicer wins in Chicago, but a lot of fun history, as well - it was built in 1929 as the Medinah Athletic Club for the Shrine Organization, who lost it in the stock market not long after. In the 40's, it was turned into a hotel and has been ever since.

As for parking, you may want to try:

The Sterling Self-Park Garage

(located between Clark and LaSalle on Kinzie)

$24 per day

In by 7 a.m. out by 7 p.m. - $14

In by 9 a.m. out by 7 p.m. - $18 per day

After 3 p.m. and weekends - $6

I've never parked there (I don't drive), so you would have to call to confirm the $6 weekend rate. This would be a bit of a walk from the Intercontinental, but definitely nothing major.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]