Priceline Hotel: 3* Chicago (NMA-River North) Chicago City Center

SK524
By SK524,
in

hi there, I've never bid on Priceline but after browsing the great tips on the site I think I'm ready to try.... but am a bit paranoid! Hoping for some help from the "seasoned veterans".

Staying in Chicago July 21 - 25 and ok with a 3-star, preferably the Millennium Park, Loop & Grant Park Area. Not sure what to bid though. I was thinking $65, is this way too high or low? (My 2nd location choice would be North Michigan Ave - River North Area; should I include this from the start?)

3 important notes -- I'd like to have something booked by this weekend; I'm hoping to pay $100+taxes/night or less, and I'm in Canada -- not sure if this makes any difference!

thanks in advance for any assistance. Any suggestions/help appreciated!

Sherry

Essentially, Millennium Park/Loop/GP is a business-oriented district with some shopping that is closer to museums. However, at night this area can get quiet when the workers head home at night.

The River North/NMA area has more shopping, more restaurants and more nightlife, but is further from museums.

I don't think $65 is going to be enough, unfortunately. I think a more likely bid for these dates, given the traffic, is going to have to start around $80 and may take as much as $100. The problem is the 21st; the 22nd-25th seem busy, but better.

I would include both areas in your bidding. Moderator thereuare can suggest a bidding strategy.

The other note I would have is to not rule out bidding for 4*'s, either: there are more 4*'s on Priceline in these two downtown areas than 3*'s, and you may very well be able to get a 4* for not much more than a 3* or possibly as much as a 3*.

Let us know if you're willing to accept either zone (Loop and/or NMA) and we'll suggest a strategy to follow.

Also, would you want to try for a 4* first up to your limit or would you prefer a less expensive 3* property?

Lastly, given the more expensive nite of the 21st, is SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID an option?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Hi Aaron & thereuare, thanks so much for helping a clueless newbie!

Yes I'm fine with either zone; we are hoping to do most of our getting around on foot or with public transit, with cabs in late evening. Our plans so far of what we hope to do while there include Wicked, Second City, Cubs game, Navy Pier, and a couple of museums but haven't decided which yet. So I think either location would be fine for this? (I haven't studied the maps of where everything is closely enough yet, sorry!)

To answer your specific questions -- I'd rather get a lower rate and end up with a 3* than pay more for a 4*, however -- if this means I'm likely to have many bids rejected and still have no hotel booked a week from now, I'd rather just pay more. (Am I even being realistic about getting something in this area for <$100?)

I suppose I

Just my humble opinion, I'd personally recommend skipping Navy Pier. The Lincoln Park Zoo is a much better time (and free), or you could even take a boat tour. Navy Pier does have a few pros (views, a small stained glass museum that just feels incredibly random in the midst of Navy Pier), but the cons - crowds, heat (maybe it's just me, but with the crowds and the direct sun, Navy Pier always seems to feel 10-15 degrees hotter) and the general feeling of a tourist trap (not great restaurants, expensive, little booths selling throwaway novelty items - just outweigh the pros for me. It's a place I head to on an early Fall morning when there's no one around and the views are nice. However, in the middle of the Summer I don't go there anymore.

As for museums, I would recommend the Art Institute and the Shedd and/or Field.

Either location is really fine for what you plan on. Chicago is a lot more compact than people expect, and there's plenty of public transit.

There are some concerns with bidding on either zone, but there's some with bidding on Priceline anywhere. Some of the more iffy possibilities for 3*/4*

Millennium Park/Loop/Grant Park

3* The Allegro - This is a nice (if older) Kimpton boutique property. However, you will find that there is nothing going on in this area at night. If the Loop is quiet at night, this area can be super-duper quiet. There is a theatre next door and after the theatre crowd, it's "crickets"-level quiet. This area is fine during the day, but it's more business-y an area than anything.

4* W City Center. Some people really dislike this hotel, which is just a few blocks South of the Allegro. It is a very hip, trendy W and also a very dark W (both in terms of lighting and color palette.) Some people find that relaxing, some do not. I liked it as a departure from the norm of "business"-style hotels in the city and really have found no better bed than the W bed in the room I had. The lobby, like all W's, becomes a nightclub-like "scene" at night. Above-average room service (and you may need it, as I did: there's few restaurant options right nearby at night) The Sears Tower is 1 block away.

4* Hyatt Regency. Like the Sheraton below, the Hyatt is not really horribly problematic, but just not a favorite hotel. It's a giant hotel (biggest in Chicago) and it comes off as a big, impersonal convention hotel. Fine for priceline rates, but service can be overwhelmed and would never pay full price.

River North/North Michigan Ave.

4* Millennium Knickerbocker - This is an old property in need of some renovation. To give you an idea of how old, it is rumored to have been a Capone hideout in the '20's and was the Playboy Club in the 70's. It's had a looong history. The location's great, the rooms are adequate at best, iffy at worst.

4* The Sheraton Towers - I just don't like this hotel, really. It's superbly located, but pretty public areas are a good first impression, until you find sparse, bland rooms and so-so service. This is the only hotel I've written to the parent company about, because it could potentially be wonderful, but is kept down by several issues.

3* Holiday Inn Mart Plaza. Not a bad hotel, but somewhat "off to itself" to the West (about 15 minutes walk) of Michigan Ave. May also be quiet at night, but not as much as the Allegro area. At least this is closer to the River North restaurants. Some rooms have river views, but I wouldn't hold out hopes for an upgrade if you're a Priceline customer. An "L" station is right there. The hotel isn't bad; it's what you'd expect from a large, urban HI.

3* Allerton - older property with mixed reviews, but fantastic location directly on Michigan Ave.

In terms of splitting, the Hyatt is showing availability at fairly decent rates (for the Hyatt in the Summer) for 22-25. If you were to split your bid - not sure you have to, but it is an option, I would recommend bidding for a 4* in the Millennium Park/Loop/Grant Park area at a pretty low price (as the Hyatt has so many rooms to fill that their priceline rates tend to be low) to see if you could snag a room there. Again, not my favorite hotel (but not terrible either, and centrally located), but it may be a possibility here if you do decide to split your bid.

The warnings were just sort of an overview of what to possibly expect. Priceline is the only way to get the lowest rates (Hotwire is another option, but doesn't offer rates quite as discounted as Priceline usually does) and I do recommend it, but I just thought I'd give an idea of some of the lesser hotels. There are some fantastic (!) hotels on Priceline in Chicago, but there are some not so great ones. Same in any major city.

Personally, I think if you're going to bid 3*, I'd really only recommend bidding for the River North/NMA area, because there's a wider selection of 3*'s there.

I'd recommend bidding for a 4* in either the River North/NMA or Millennium Park/Loop/GP areas. There are more good hotels in downtown Chicago than fair or poor ones, but the above list was just trying to illustrate some of the lesser ones to maybe allow you to narrow down where you wanted to bid.

In terms of the better hotels, the Millennium Park/Loop/Grant Park area offers the possibility of either the Palmer House (one of the oldest continually operating hotels in the US) or the Chicago Hilton and Towers, two elegant and historic properties with grand, gorgeous lobbies. The only issue with those two is that the Palmer is undergoing some renovations. The Swissotel is another great, modern hotel in the Loop zone, with great views.

The River North/NMA area has a pair of Westins, a lovely Omni Suites, the Intercontinental (another classic, elegant, old world property with an amazing pool) and the Drake.

Thanks Aaron, that helps.

I think I'll try out a 4* bid in either of the 2 zones for $95 and see what happens. I couldn't find on the Priceline site, what happens if the bid is rejected -- do I have to wait a day or something? Also how long does it take to get a reply?

Also I was reading some of the "small print" and noticed that the priceline bookings are "guaranteed for a double bed or two twin beds". I'd prefer not to have two twins; do you know if this is common? Is there no likelihood at all of getting a queen or king, or are those types of rooms just never included in the offerings?

thanks again

A few thoughts of my own...

The problem with bidding for 7/22-7/25 and then purchasing the nite of 7/21 on its own is that:

1) the hotel for that nite may (likely) be prohibitively expensive. Rates in the mid-$200's and up is very common for Chicago... so would you want to pay that much for your first nite? (to me i'd rather have to change hotels and save $100... my wife would probably answer differently :) )

2) the hotel could even be sold-out. Take for example the Hyatt, if you won that property for 7/22-7/25 and then check rates for the first nite of your stay, you'll find that they're currently sold-out, so you couldn't book that for your first nite regardelss, even if you were willing to spend "whatever it took"

If you do split the bid you can look at the option to purchase the same hotel direct for the first nite, but my guess is that #1 or #2 above would likely apply. If you do choose to SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID, then you shoudl be prepared to change hotels, and i would then try to bid the first nite on its own (rather than book something thru conventional channels)

Based upon AaraonJB's comments above, and the fact that you have a lot more bidding opportunties at the 4* level than the 3* level, if i were in you shoes i would probably try in the following order...

Bid 4* (both zones) from 7/21-7/25 up to your $100 limit, if that was rejected i'd then...

Bid 4* (both zones) from 7/22-7/25 up to your $100 limit, if that was rjeected i'd then...

Bid 3* (one zone) from 7/21-7/25, if that was rejected...

Bid 3* (one zone) from 7/22-7/25

(i'm not sure if $100 is even your maximum bid amount, but seem to recall that figure mentioned above, when replying let us know whatever you maximum bid will be)

You could always 'flip' the 2nd and 3rd line based upon your own preference, but using the opaque providers is a good opportunity to stay in 4* hotels that you may not typically stay in. As well, trying for a 3* is going to be tough since you basically get one shot at it with no re-bid zones, and i also feel that the value is usually at the 4* level.

If anything is won along the way you can then see what your options are for the first nite (if necessary) and then make a decision if you want to bid on it or try to purchase direct... but you need to be prepared that you may not be able to purchase the hotel at any price (of it may be $350, which i assume, would maek it not worthwhile)

Let us know your thoughts and we'll take it from there and sugggest a strategy to follow if you're ready to move forward.

PS- we recently updated our other site ThingsToDo411 and you may want to look there some of the events you're considering as the supplier currently has a 5% off promo going.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

thanks thereuare, I think that sounds like a pretty good plan.

Before I do go ahead and bid, I'm hoping one of you can let me know what you think of my question about bed types in my previous reply? If you don't mind....

thanks, you've been so helpful!

Sherry

Aside from some isolated cases, rooms with 2 beds come at a premium in Chicago, and those paying discount rates (Priceline/Hotwire) are less likely to get them, as the hotel would likely rather have someone willing to pay the premium for the double. However, if you get there and that's what's left, that's what is left. The great majority of the time, however, I've gotten 1 king (or 1 queen, whatever the hotel's rooms with 1 bed offer.)

In terms of two twins, the only downtown hotel I can think of that has twins in general is the Drake.

If your specific bid (lets say 4* River North/North Michigan Ave.) is not accepted, then you can not make that specific bid again for 24 hours. *However*, you can make a different bid (4* Millennium Park/Loop/Grant Park, for example) right then and there.

Thanks Aaron for the input -- I was a little worried. To me even a great deal on a 4* is a bad deal if it comes with a bed smaller than what we have at home!thanks for the bid-again rules too.

thereuare -- your suggestion of how to proceed looks good to me although I'm still a bit nervous about the splitting. Yes you are correct, I'd like to try to stay under $100 (unless this is unrealistic?)

I will admit (as you can likely tell) that I'm still nervous about the riskiness of it all, not just in not knowing the hotel but also in the non-refundable aspect.... Priceline obviously has great deals available, but I'm just a little paranoid! While waiting for replies and looking up what the hotels in the area generally go for, I found a site that has the Allerton hotel (which I think is a good place?) available for $141/night, all of the 4 nights I need, king bed non-smoking, and cancellable..... I'm wondering if I should just book this? It would be the easy way out and I realize I would have wasted all your time spent helping me which I'd feel horrible about of course.... of course I do realize you are not here for general travel advice but bidding advice, but as you can see I'm somewhat torn!

Any thoughts? (are you sick of me yet?)

thanks

What site are you able to book the Allerton?

It's your stay so only you can determine what is right for you... but if successful with priceline you're alternate reservation is almost $40+ per nite more x 4 nites = $150+ in savings. (as well as staying in a higher star rated hotel)

Let us know once you decide what you want to do and we'll take it from there.

The site I found the Allerton rate on is the Chicago Convention & Tourism Bureau, and it's a government rate which my husband is eligible for. I realize it's well above my $100 "budget" but that is more my Priceline "risk factor" budget I think!

I think what I'd like to do is try for the Priceline first, but without the bid splitting. So maybe the 4* for $100 first for all four nights, then if it doesn't work, maybe try the 3* for $85+?

Let me know what you think... thanks!

I don't think you'll be successful without slit.bid, but you have one re-bid zone at the 4* level and none at the 3* level. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 4* NMA...

Bid $80, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bdi $90, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* Loop...

Bid $80, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bdi $90, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* NMA and Loop...

Bid $95, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bdi $100.

If the above is rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 3* NMA...

Bid $85

(as per AaronJB, i'm not including the Loop in this part of the strategy)

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

thanks so much thereuare. I will try this out tonight and report back! Will first read about re-bidding.

And, I'll definitely go through savingsbarn -- you guys have been so helpful, I really appreciate all your time & effort in helping me out!

Sherry

Hey there, not sure if you guys are still around..... I have run into a roadblock and am not sure what to do next. Hoping you can help.

I followed your strategy and bid $80 for 4* NMA; rejected. I added the Loop for the re-bid zone and bid $90; rejected.

Then I closed the browser and went back in. I chose 4* Loop, bid $80 and it said I had already bid that, but I don't think I had. Was the problem that I did not clear the browser memory, and it "remembered" me?

Oh also -- I couldn't find info about re-bidding on your site, just on the Priceline site -- do you have a link to this info?

I think I'll wait a bit & see if you're around before I go back in. Thanks so much!

Sherry

The Loop was not your re-bid zone.

Re-biddig is adding a zone that only contains star levels that are lower than the one you're bidding... so in this instance you would be adding a zone that only contains star levels less than 4 stars. You can determine the star ratings available in each zone by following this technique discussed is Priceline Re-Bidding Explained:

The way to check what star levels are available in each zone is to open a Priceline page, check ONLY the zone you are inquiring about, and then proceed to the next page (as if you were going to select a zone)... this will give you the available star ratings in that area. You can then hit BACK on your browser, uncheck the current box, check the next box, and repeat the process. It is important to do this before EACH attempt at adding a zone that you really don't want, as new hotels can be added and the star ratings can change at any time. (NOTE: for most users Priceline has updated their interface making the above process easier... simply check a zone and note the highest star rating available within each zone, UNcheck that zone and checkmark the next zone, repeating the process)

Let us know if it is now clearer or if you would like us to break it down further.

Well you could make one more bid without waiting 24 hours:

4* Loop and NMA and Re-bid zone at ($95 or $100)

But you may want to confirm your re-bid zone with the board before proceeding just to make sure you have it right now. From there you can also then try a 3* bid (don't forget to close your browser and start over when you lower your star rating and only have NMA selected in the zones)

You could still also try HOTWIRE, but there is no bidding involved there and at last check there was nothing wihtin your sub-$100 budget.

thanks, I'll try that.

I also realize my budget is probably not realistic and I should probably raise it a bit. Will try at $100 for now & see what happens.

Good night, hopefully I'll have good news to report in the morning.... thanks again for all your help today!

Sherry

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]