CA San Francisco Whitcomb Hotel Civic Center

lwitchel
By lwitchel,
in

• 1 year later...

And sure enough, I did stay here again :)

On a trip to SF last year stayed at the Westin St. Francis. I got the Westin for $73/night and the Ramada (both times) for $45/night. Wireless net access is now included; I found it dodgy (the signal would get lost) but it's free. I used the fitness center in the hotel room on this stay - it is a small room on the mezzanine with two treadmills, a recumbent cycle and a regular one and a stair climber as well as a not very good Universal machine. It isn't great but fine for a weekend stay. Hotel staff, especially the front desk, is very friendly and helpful. Oddly enough I was given the same room as last stay (perhaps because I only need a single bed instead of two). I like the decor, which is period to the hotel's construction (I'm sure it's been refurbished and is in decent condition); the bathroom though is very basic and the towels are thin and skimpy. Pictures at Realhotelphoto.com

There is still a problem with vagrancy around the Civic Center area, but I didn't feel unsafe. To look on the bright side, the hotel is incredibly convenient to Civic Center including the Opera House and Symphony, the Performing Arts Museum and the Asian Art Museum. Walk one block from the hotel up to Larkin and then cross Market and pass the Civic Center a few blocks to Eddy Street and you are at Saigon Sandwich, which has sinfully good Banh Mi. That area (the Tenderloin, now being called "Little Saigon") is filled with good Asian food.

Looking at pictures of the St. Francis and recalling that trip, I felt much more pampered for about $40 per day more, including the fees for dial up access and the health club. If I had the money to spare, I'd spring for it. But I got everything I need at a cost of $54/day at the Ramada including all taxes and fees. I'll stay here again.

• 1 year later...

I stayed at Whitcomb for an unbearable night (Jun 6).

If you're interested in quality, cleaniness and fresh air, steer CLEAR of this barely 3 star hotel. Our room was dark and dreadful. Did I mention the horrible, musty stench that your nose just doesn't happen to get used to?

I was on the phone with hotwire FIRST thing the next morning ready for my 9am checkout. We were then moved to the Westin (Market Street). This was a MUCH better choice as the rooms were newly renovated and we got a fantastic view (and a Phillips flat screen - lovely).

I believe in budget traveling, but I also believe in quality and hygiene. If you feel the same way, avoid Whitcomb like the plague. :)

PEACE

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]