Priceline Hotel: 4* NYC (MTW) Millenium Broadway

theskypatrol
By theskypatrol,
in

I was thinking of using Priceline to find a nice hotel (at least 3*, but 4* preferred) for my fiance and I in New York City from September 16-19, 2007.

What kind of prices do you think I could expect? Any advice on how I should bid for a nice 4* hotel? I've never used Priceline and could use any advice I could get.

Well, I don't know New York at all... we will be in flying into NYC, so will be using subway for all transportation. We are in town for a concert in Central Park, so anywhere convenient to that area.

From the research I've done, the lowest I've seen for hotels that I'd like to stay is the Sheraton New York Hotel & Towers at $251 a night.

As far as budget... we're hoping to get the price per night under $200. Is this hope unreasonable? From what I understand about Priceline, we would bid for a 4* hotel in a certain area, but the specific hotel is undetermined until you accept the offer.

From the research I've done, the lowest I've seen for hotels that I'd like to stay is the Sheraton New York Hotel & Towers at $251 a night.
Where did you find that rate? Best rate on the Sheraton Website for your dates is $425/nite!
we would bid for a 4* hotel in a certain area, but the specific hotel is undetermined until you accept the offer.
Almost right... you bid for a certain area and select the price, but then the ball is in Priceline's court... if a hotel accepts your offer you then own the hotel room (you don't find out the hotel and then decide of you want to accept it or not). If you haven't see it yet, start here: I've Never Used Priceline or Hotwire

Read the above thread and then let us know regarding the pricing you mentioned... we'll then take it from there.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

theskypatrol,

The prices you're quoting above are for 9/13-9/16 but you posted that your dates are 9/16-9/19... which are the correct dates of your stay?

I'm sorry... the dates we will be in NYC are 9/13-9/16... sorry for the error. That probably confused a lot of things... we were going to go on those dates, but we will now be going from 9/13-9/16.

Now that we have the pricing and dates straightened out your $200 budget is more realistic than for the other dates i thought you were looking at.

Which zone(s) are you willing to accept? Most visitors to the city consider MTE, MTW and UM/CPS to all be centrally located, and these are the zones most of our users bid. I don't think you'll need your hotel to be too close to Central Park and there is plenty of transportation to that area, but you'll need to look at the priceline zones to determine which one(s) you're comfortable staying in.

Let us know the zones you're willing to accept and we'll suggest a startegy for you to follow.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

It doesn't matter where we stay as long as it's pretty convenient to different places to see, so it looks like MTE, MTW, MTS and UM/CPS are the best bets.

A couple of questions... 1) is it more or less expensive to stay during the week as opposed to the weekend? And... 2) how much of a difference is there between a 3* and 4* hotel in NYC?

1) is it more or less expensive to stay during the week as opposed to the weekend?
In very general terms weekends are usually a little less expensive than midweek, but in NYC there almost always 'something' happening (conferences, events, conventions, etc, etc) which can easily make the previous statement appear to not be the case. So it's very date specific, although one rule that does seem to hold true is seasonality pricing in NYC... spring and fall see a sharp increase in rates.
2) how much of a difference is there between a 3* and 4* hotel in NYC?
Typically not much of a difference at all... but once again, this is not a 'hard and fast' rule, as there are frequent exceptions.

Are your plans and dates firm that you're ready to begin bidding now?

We'll probably be ready to begin bidding in a couple of days, after work schedules etc. are finalized. I'll let you know in this thread. Thanks man, you've already been a great help.

Ok, time to begin bidding, but with a FINAL change of plans...

We will be in NYC from Tuesday, September 11 until Friday, September 15, checking out Saturday morning. (I know I've changed the dates a lot, but it was hard to figure out when me and my fiance could both get away from work). Anyway, do you think these new dates will change our bidding strategies... and, if so, in what way?

So we'll start with a 4* strategy and then if that fails we'll cross the 3* question(s) when we get there.

You have two re-bid zones available when bidding 4* in NYC. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 4* MTE...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $140, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTW...

Bid $140, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* UM/UPS...

Select 4* MTS...

Select 4* MTE and MTW...

Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $150, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $155, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* UM/CPS and MTS...

Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $150, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $155, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTE and UM/CPS...

Bid $160, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $165, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $170, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTW and MTS...

Bid $160, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $165, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $170, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTE and MTS...

Bid $175, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $180, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $185, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTW and UM/CPS...

Bid $175, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $180, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $185, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTE and MTW and MTS and UM/CPS...

Bid $190, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $195, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $200.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

From Priceline Re-Bidding Explained:

(NOTE: for most users Priceline has updated their interface making the above process easier... simply check a zone and note the highest star rating available within each zone, UNcheck that zone and checkmark the next zone, repeating the process)

So you just click a zone and then look below to see the highest star rating that is avaialble to be selected (ie- not greyed out).... then UNcheck the zone you selected, check the next zone, and repeat the process.

Does this make it clearer?

What would your maximum bid be for a 3* hotel?

I don't know if i'd go as high as $200 for a 3 star at this point in time, but i also don't think $200 is a "sure thing" by any means either and it may even take more than that for a 3* at this point in time.

Do you have a back-up reservation anywhere? (if so, where and how much?) What is the best rate you can find thru traditional booking methods? (use our BetterChecker to assist in your search)

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]