Hotwire Hotel: 4* San Francisco (USW) Parc 55

Steak2007
By Steak2007,
in

I have also had a struggle for 4* USE/USW from 7/15 to 7/19. I have increased my bids over the last 10 days or so, starting from $100, and failing all the way up to $145 (yesterday).

I will most likely have to start bidding on 3* or 2.5*. It seems it would be a lot cheaper, and actually many of those hotels include free internet access, which is one perk I'm looking for. I'm sure some of the 4* include it as well, but I've seen some that charge.

Thanks to everyone here for the useful info, I wish I'd found it sooner!

Steak2007,

Also consider bidding for a 2.5* or 3* in Fisherman's Wharf or Cathedral Hill or Civic Center zones, which are less than $10 cabride from Union Square or Moscone Center. For your dates availability looks tight in those zones too though.

Availability looks better for your first night, Sunday 7/15, than the rest of your nights. If you're eager to secure your first night's lodging, at least, consider trying for 7/15 alone; then work on the other three nights separately.

Thanks for the advice. I am happy to stay in 3* or 2.5* in USE/USW/FW, and perhaps 3* in Cathedral Hill (Holiday Inn Golden Gateway or Cathedral Hill Hotel).

Problem is that my only Re-Bid Zone for 3* is Civic Center (which has highest rating of 2.5*), so I believe I can only try 2 bids per 24 hours. And if I bid on 2.5* in USE/USW/FW, I only have 1 bid per 24 hours. Correct?

I don't know if Priceline will get more 4* inventory for these dates. On another board someone has bid up to $180 for 4* USE/USW/FW and failed. Thus especially with so many hotels being booked, I am a bit anxious to get something in 2.5* or 3* as mentioned above since 7/15 date is approaching.

Since 2.5* and 3* hotels described above are showing standard rates no less than $200, any advice on bid amounts, since I only have 1 or 2 chances to bid? I have read this forum for bid ideas, but the week 7/15 - 7/19 seems to be highest possible standard rates. I normally see people win 4* for $80-$90, maybe $100, so I would like to bid 3* staring around $70 or $80, but I am not sure if I will have luck for this very hard week. Maybe I have to settle for 3* at around $100 ?

Thanks for your help!

Steak2007,

Which do you prefer....bidding to your $145 limit for a 3*/Boutique in USE and USW (your preferred zones)?....or trying for a lower price in your less preferred zones of Civic Center and Fisherman's Wharf?

If you want to stick with USE and USW I suggest as follows:

3* USE / $110

3* USE + Civic Center / $125

3* USW / $110

3* USW + USE / $125

3* USW + USE + Civic Center / $145

3* bids in USE and USW can be upgraded to Boutique, which Priceline considers something like a 3.5*.

=================

If that fails, or you prefer trying for lower price in alternative zones first, try:

3* Fisherman's Wharf $85

3* FW + USW $100

3* FW + USE $115

3* FW + USE + USW $130

3* FW + USE + USW + Civic Center $145

===================

If that fails too we can try for 2.5*. Or work on winning just your Sunday night at 4* or 3* first , since availability looks better that one night, and having your arrival night taken care of will be a relief.

It helps the board when you start your Priceline bids with the links at SavingsBarn.com. Good luck!

I appreciate the advice. I used SavingsBarn.com link for all bid attempts.

I believe I understand your pricing strategy advice, but I wanted to try to get a good deal, and so I modified it to try to save money, based on some considerations:

1. I need Internet access in-room, which is free at some places, or about $9.95/day at others (over 4 days = $40). I would like to get free!

2. I don't mind staying in 2.5* in FW, if price could be cheaper. I believe the following 3 are Priceline options for 2.5* in FW (I have listed if any rooms are showing available through the hotel's booking site, and whether they have free internet):

-- Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Fisherman's Wharf (1.79mi) - Free Wifi - $274 lowest rate

-- Courtyard by Marriott Fisherman's Wharf - Free Wired Internet - SOLD OUT

-- Radisson Fisherman

Also, considering 3* in FW, here is the same info I have given for the other areas and star levels above:

3* Best Western Tuscan Inn - Free WiFi - sold out

3* Hilton Fisherman's Wharf - WIRED, $9.95/DAY - $349 lowest rate

3* Hyatt Fisherman's Wharf REVIEW - WIRELESS $9.95/Day - $386 lowest rate on Hyatt.com (saw $349 on Priceline)

3* Marriott Fishermans Wharf - Wired Internet $12.95/Day - $299 on Marriott.com

======================================================

So if the Best Western Tuscan Inn is sold out, that means any 3* hotel I win in FW requires payment for internet. This will be approx $40 for my 4 days, or $52 (!!) at the Marriott.

So I would hope that I could win perhaps 2.5* for at least $10 cheaper per day, and still have free internet (as shown in my list in previous post).

Or in other words - it would be about the same if I happen to win USE 3* Courtyard Downtown for $130 (if I increase to this bid), as it would for 3* FW at $120 (since in FW I have to pay for internet at all these choices).

It seems that this week (7/15-7/19) all rates are very high, and I understand that I may need to raise my limits, but perhaps increasing my bid for 2.5* in FW will be my best move, if I'm able to win for $100 or even $120, considering the competition. But for this tough week, it seems that base price for 2.5* is almost as much as 3* in some cases, so maybe I will not be able to have a low bid win for 2.5* even.

But I do need to win something so I can stop spending endless hours searching, and because 7/15 arrival date is approaching!

Thanks!!!!

Steak2007,

You need to understand you're bidding for some of the busiest days in San Francisco so far this summer. You can't be picky about whether you'll win a hotel with free Internet. You'll be lucky to win ANY 2.5* in ANY Downtown zone for $150 or less.

It's possible availability will improve between now and July 15 but I don't think that's something you can plan on.

Hotwire has a 2.5* in Fisherman's Wharf for your dates that appears to be the Holiday Inn Express. (No guarantee on the ID.) It's $178. Everything in Union Square is $250 or more.

If you could win a 2.5* on Priceline for $150 you'd be beating the best price you've found. Are you willing to bid that high for a 2.5* on Priceline? If so someone can offer a specific strategy.

If not what do you plan to do?

Would you be willing to stay near the Airport to save money and take BART back and forth every day? When rates are very high some people will make that compromise. Perhaps you could win a 3* or 4* near the Airport for $75 or less.

Also, as I mentioned earlier, availability for your first night, the Sunday, is much better than the other three days. If you're willing to split your bid you could try now for Sunday Downtown at a lower price and work on the other three nights separately.

Thanks for bidding through the link at SavingsBarn.

I do appreciate the advice, thank you. If I win a hotel that doesn't have free internet, it is not the end of the world, but the way I laid it out above (checking all availability in each zone) seemed to indicate that I had a chance of getting a hotel that does offer it. Just trying to save money. :)

As for splitting the bid - I now see 2 other posts where people have won the 4* Westin St. Francis for $96 for Sun. 7/15. I guess I will try to get a hotel for Sun. 7/15 and then work on the next 3 days separately.

Is it possible that I could win a hotel for Sun. 7/15 for say, $96, and then if I bid higher for 7/16 to 7/19, I could get the same hotel, but at a higher rate? I know there is no guarantee which hotel you will get, but just wondering if this has happened before. It would certainly be more convenient, however if I have to move to another hotel, I will still probably end up saving money in the end, if I can win a lower rate for Sun. 7/15.

Also I placed my bid for 7/15 to 7/19 in 2.5* in FW at 2:00AM on Thurs. 7/5/07. Is it correct that I must wait until at least 2:00AM on Fri. 7/6/07 to increase my bid, since there are no free re-bid zones for 2.5* ? However if I now split my bid so that I only request 7/16 to 7/19 in 2.5* in FW, is this considered different, so that I do not have to wait 24 hours?

I will not want to stay near airport this time, but thanks for the suggestion, I'll keep in mind for future trips.

Thanks again, and I will be using SavingsBarn.com link for all bids, because this site is really helpful. If I knew about it earlier, I probably would've won my hotels already :)

I'm assuming you mean 2am 7/5 and not 7/6 (which hasn't occured yet :) ... at least not hear in the States, mabye you're posting from elsewhere)

If you change your dates it is treated as an entirely separate bid and the 24 hour lock-out period from your previous bid doesn't apply (each set of dates has it's own '24 hour lock-out period')

I'd also suggest trying for the bigger "chunk" of your stay first... unless you're willing to change hotels multiple times, you don't want to win a hotel for one nite (7/15) and then also have equal difficulty with the balance... leaving you in a position where you may ultimately have to split the bid once again.

Better to cycle thru with the following dates:

7/15-7/19

7/16-7/19

7/15-7/18

7/17-7/19

7/15-7/17

At least with the above you get the chance to win 2 or 3 nites of your stay, only leaving 1-2 nites in the balance... instead of winning one nite and still leaving the majority of your stay up in the air.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

If you want to bid higher for all four nights in FW and don't want to wait 24 hours you can safely add USE and USW to your FW bids. There are 2.5* hotels in those zones too, but given prices for your dates it's ulikely you would win one. If you do win a 2.5* in USE or USW you'll be staying in your preferred zones.

You've already been rejected at $75 for 2.5* in FW. For all four nights I suggest:

$75 for 2.5* USW

$100 for 2.5* USW + FW

start new bid of $75 for 2.5* USE

$100 for 2.5* USE + FW

$125 for 2.5* FW + USW + USW

OR just wait til your 24 hours are up and bid $125 for the 2.5* in FW alone.

Thank you very much! I just got the Parc55 for 7/15 to 7/17. I used the HOTWIRE link on this page (thanks!)

Here was description:

"4-star hotel in Union Square West (0.0 - 0.5 miles from your requested location)

This upscale establishment offers thoughtful features, quality rooms and a high level of

service."

1 room(s) @ $95.00 per night x 2 night(s); Hotel subtotal $190.00

Taxes, recovery charges, and fees $35.37

Total $225.37

Some hotels may apply additional charges for incidental fees such as parking. Prices are in $USD.

===============================================

I also verified that this rate is not available if I added my 3rd night to the trip (the rate increased to $250 or something). So now I will work on the final 2 nights of my stay!

Congratulations on your <partial> success!

Thank you for sharing your results with the board and for using our HOTWIRE link to begin your purchase. Can you please add the amenities that were shown prior to your purchase. You can still view these by going to HOTWIRE and clicking the MY STUFF link near the top of their home page.

Please start a NEW TOPIC for the balance of your trip.

Have a great stay.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Here are the amenities listed when I click "See details" next to "Parc 55 Hotel" on the My Stuff page:

This Hotel features the following amenities:

Restaurant(s)

Property offers at least one restaurant on the premises; hours and days of operation may vary.

Business Center

Guests have access to business equipment and services; an additional charge may apply.

High-speed Internet Access

Guestrooms are equipped with high-speed Internet access; an extra charge may apply.

Please note that Hotwire cannot guarantee the level of services offered at a property and/or if services are operational at the time of visit. Services may be closed due to seasonality reasons and/or may be closed for renovation.

=====================================================

Thanks!

Congratulations, Steak2007! Two down and two to go.

For your remaining two nights availability is really tight. HOTWIRE has NOTHING in five of the seven Downtown zones. Other than the airport all that's left is:

4* USW $353

2* USW $122

3.5* FW $359

2* FW $188

HOTWIRE and Priceline are more likely to get fresh inventory on Monday, when hotel revenue managers return to work and review upcoming occupancy, than on Sunday. Unless you want to take a chance on the 2* in USW I'd probably put this aside for now and see what Monday brings.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]