Priceline Hotel: Looking for bid strategy for downtown Philly please

Kev
By Kev,
in

Hi all,

I am new to PL and the concept of bidding for a hotel, but it sounds like a great way to save a packet on sky high hotel prices.

I have read various threads on these forums, and am considering the following:

I am looking for a 4* downtown Philly hotel for 5 nights, check-in Sept 20th, check-out Sept 25th.

My max is $140/night (although ideally I would like to keep it to $130 or less).

My plan is to start bidding at $110 for 4* and then re-bid in $5 increments using the 6 rebid zones in the Philly area that will allow me to keep bidding for 4*

Failing that, I will go for a 3*, and start my bidding at $65 and use the one 3* re-bid zone available (Gloucester) to rebid at $75.

If they all fail, I will wait the required 24 hours and start again.

I hope I have understood the concept of re-bidding, and if anyone has any advice on any further tactics, then I would be only too happy to hear them.

Also, are my pricings realistic for that time of year and that length of stay ?

Does mid-late September and 5 nights work in my favour or against me ?

Many thanks for your help. I will post my results here once I have (hopefully) got myself a nice bargain.

Kevin.

Welcome to BetterBidding!

There is a decent sized rate change over your stay... would you consider SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID?

If you first want to try for a continuous stay, i would try the following:

You haev six re-bid zones available when bidding 4* in Philadelphia. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 4* Downtown...

Bid $60, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $65, if rejected add re-bid zone2...

Bid $70, if rejected add re-bid zone3...

Bid $75, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* Downtown and re-bid zone4...

Bid $80, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $85, if rejected add re-bid zone2...

Bid $90, if rejected add re-bid zone3...

Bid $95, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* Downtown and re-bid zone5...

Bid $100, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $105, if rejected add re-bid zone2...

Bid $110, if rejected add re-bid zone3...

Bid $115, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* Downtown and re-bid zone6...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid zone2...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone3...

Bid $135.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes... or let us know regarding splitting the bid mentioned above.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Well, I haven't had any luck so far with my 4* bids, upto $135.

I then tried 3*, but my number of bids on this is limited. I tried $65 & $75, again with no luck.

I then even tried 2.5* at $55, $60 & $65, again with no luck.

I can only assume it is because my 5 nights are spread over week-days and week-ends.

It looks like I might have to try the split bid method, although I am a bit concerned that i might end up in different hotels doing this.

If it was just me going, it wouldn't bother me too much, but I going with a friend and it would look particulaly cool if we have to up sticks and move hotels after a couple of nights.

Anyway, if I do decide to do the split bid, does the following sound a reasonable plan.

I would restrict my split bids to 4* and 2.5* as there are less hotels in these categories so more chance of getting the same hotel on a split bid.

My 5 nights are Thu, Fri, Sat, Sun & Mon. So should I put in a bid for Thu on its own, a bid for Fri, Sat & Sun on its own and a bid for Mon on its own (3 split bids) ? Or shouod I use a different split bid tactic ?

Out of interest, is there only one 2.5* that PL use downtown Philly ? The Courtyard ? If that's the case, then if I kept my bids to the 2.5* at least I would guarantee the same hotel no matter what.

Oh, and one last thing. Will the fees total be higher for 3 split bids than they would be for one 5 night bid (assuming the same nightly cost ?), as this will affect how much I would be willing to bid.

Thanks for the advice, I shall continue to let you know how I get on.

Kevin.

I would restrict my split bids to 4* and 2.5* as there are less hotels in these categories so more chance of getting the same hotel on a split bid.

if you bid at the 2.5* level, you could possibly get upgraded to a 3*. Also, the list is based on wins reported to this board, so its possible that you could get a hotel that is not on the list....someone always has to be the first to report a win. If you are not willing to change hotels, splitting the bid may not be an option.

If you don't want to change hotels then i wouldn't split the bid... although i think it would improve your chances, i would only do that if you expected to change hotels during your stay. It may also be early for you to resort to doing that.

As well, i think you do have some viable alternatives which you can use as a back-up in the meantime... you can book the Holiday Inn Historic District for $120/nite or the Crowne Plaza for $121/nite... both of these would be refundable up until a few days before your stay, so you can use either as a back-up while you continue to try your bids to improve upon it.

HOTWIRE is also an option, which appears to have some 3.5* rated hotels in the sub-$100 area and more if you go as high as $120... but these would obviously be non-refundable. Please use this HOTWIRE link if you go this route.

Let us know your thougths and we'll advise accordingly.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for the advice.

I have taken a look at Hotwire, and to be honest, for longer stays, especially if there is a pretty big rate change over the stay, Hotwire seems to be the better option.

It also means I won't need to split my bid, which I like.

I did a search on Hotwire and it came up with a few Hotel choices that appealed, and I wonder if you could let me know if I am on the right track with which particular hotel I think the offers are for:

Offer 1) $85/night 3.5* Center City West - Ameneties: Fitness Centre, Pool, Restaurant, Business Centre

Am I right in saying that this will be the Sheraton University ?

Offer 2) $165/night (although I am hoping this might go down) 4* Centre City East - Amenities: Fitness Centre, Restaurant, Business Centre, High Speed Internet

Am I right in saying this will be the Westin ?

Offer 3) $116/night 3* Centre City West - Amenities: Fitness Centre, Pool, Restaurant, Business Centre, High Speed Internet, Kitchenette

The listings don't show any 3* hotels for Centre City West, so I am assuming this is a rebranded 3.5* Sheraton City Centre.

Anyway, I will keep trying....I know there is a good deal out there to be had.

I will keep you informed as to how things are progressing.

Thanks,

Kevin.

Oh, and one last thing re Hotwire offers. Can these be realistically split aswell ? Providing the number of the particular rated hotel is minimal in the area you are looking at, and the amenities are the same for each offer (and amenites for the hotels themselves differ), I can't see any reason that would preclude splitting offers and getting them for the same hotel....Any thoghts ?

Thanks.

We can't say what the hotels above will... only make the best guesses based upon previous results.

The first hotel matches the Sheraton and the second matches the Westin so that would be our best guess on each. I don' think the 3* hotel is the Sheraton... it is a match for the Hotel Windsor so that would be our best guess for that property.

In regards to splitting your hotwire bid... what would be the purpose of doing so?

Please use this HOTWIRE link to begin any purchases you make.

Let us know how it goes or if we can be of further help.

The reason I was considering splitting the Hotwire bid was to reduce the cost by taking advantage of the cheaper week-end rates offered.

The 4* offer I had at $165/night worked out at $825, whereas splitting the bids gave me individual offers of $172, $144, $144, $164 & $172 over the 5 nights. I checked the offers carefully, and it was the same region, same * rating and same ammenities (and as there are only two 4* hotels listed, I think it is a reasonable assumption to say the offers were for the same hotel) and the total individual price over the 5 nights came to $796 - a $29 saving.

Just trying to get the lowest price, unless you can see any flaws in my arguement ?

I'm still learning, and still experimenting, and quite enjoying the challenge too.

Cheers,

Kevin.

Just trying to get the lowest price, unless you can see any flaws in my arguement ?

A few...

HOTWIRE uses a variable mark-up, so prices from search-to-search can differ by as much as $20/nite. When it comes time for you to make your purchase, the prices for your individual nites may be a little more (indeed, they can be a little less too), so those prices aren't set in stone.

More importantly... the HOTWIRE fee will be a little more by making 5 separate purchases. Probably not $30 more to make up the entire difference, but the amount of fees will be more, making the difference less than $30. Add to this the possibility that while you're making your individual purchases, the hotel you're currently seeing may no longer appear for one of your nites... thus forcing you to change hotels midstay. If you purchase the first and second nites, then try for the third and the hotel is no longer offered (or the price goes up substantially... and the same hotel is still offered for nites 4 and 5) you're now looking at changing hotels not just once... but at least twice. As well, if you have 5 separate purchases it is possible, although unlikely, that you'll have to change rooms each nite (or some nites) of your stay... while this is unlikely, you will most probably have to go t the front desk each day and "officially" check-out of the room and then have them check you back in.

So to save a few dollars are the above risks worthwhile, and is it worth the inconvenience of having to go to the front desk every day to have them check you out and in again? Only you can decide, but i think it's much cleaner, and no risk of changing hotels, for what amounts to less than $5/nite.

Please use this HOTWIRE link to begin any purchases you make. If you do choose to split your purchases, please be sure to use our link to begin each purchase (ie- click our HOTWIRE link to make your first purchase, then return here and click the link again to begin your next purchase, and so-on, and so-on for each purchase)

Let us know what you decide and how it goes, or if we can be of further help.

Well, I am still working on this.

Just had bids of $140, $145 & $150 rejected for 4* downtown.

My dates have also changed slightly, now September 19 (rather than 20th) for five nights. Shouldn't really make too big a difference as it still gives me 3 week-day and 2 week-end nights.

Should I just continue to try PL every couple of days ?

I don't really want to go over $150, but would really quite like a 4*downtown....am I asking too much, do you think ?

Thanks,

Kevin.

I don' think the 3* hotel is the Sheraton... it is a match for the Hotel Windsor so that would be our best guess for that property.

I can't seem to find any reviews or any details of anyone on here who has stayed at the Hotel Windsor.

Is it one to consider, or one to avoid ? Locationwise, it is ideal, just where I want to be.

Thanks,

Kevin.

Well, my first foray into the world of Priceline hasn't gone all that well.

I have tried over the past 2 weeks various ammounts up to $145/night for a 4*, but to no avail.

I can only imagine having a 5 night stay, which includes a week-end, didn't help.

In the end I managed to get the Crowne Plaza (3*) on Market for $116/night, including continental b/fast, but not through PL, unfortunately.

Thanks for everyone's help though...hopefully my next try at PL will be more successful.

Cheers,

Kevin.

Kev,

I have booked many times, I suggest you try the 2.5 star hotel. Whenever I do this I end up with the Courtyard by Marriot. To be honest this is a great hotel. The location is much better than many of the 4 stars, as it is right across from City Hall and near many bars and restauraunts. The rooms are very nice and not cookie cutter at all, and they have a great pool/exercise area.

• 3 weeks later...

Can someone please explain why it's necessary to close browser and rebid again.

For example,after bidding DT+Zone 1+Zone 2+Zone 3 .Can you not go on to add Zone 4 without closing your browser???????therefore you're bidding DT+1,2,3,4.

If you close the browser,the n your' bidding DT+4+1 then +1+2 then +1+2+3. unless you lowered this 2nd bidding amount.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]