Hotwire Hotel: 3.5* Chicago (Mag Mile - Wacker Dr) Embassy Suites

marie_scotland
By marie_scotland,
in

Hi there,

Firstly, thanks for a good forum - have been lurking in the background reading the posts re Chicago and they are very helpful.

Boyfriend and I are heading to the US for a long overdue holiday between 26th to 30th May and cant wait to dive headlong into all that nice food, sunshine and everything there is to see and do in Chicago!

I have put a couple of bids in via Priceline without success so far.

Latest today was the following -

started separate 4 star bids for each of Loop, NMA, RNA using Evanston, Midway, Lincoln Park and Skookie as my free re-bids for each zone. Bid between 55 to 75 on these. Then, finished it off by adding in Loop and NMA on my last round of RNA bids taking the total to 85 but no luck.

Having taken your advice re getting a standby room, I have booked a studio room in the Palmer House Hilton for $124 per night plus tax. This can be cancelled up to 4pm on day of arrival.

As we havent been to Chicago before we dont have a preference between Loop, NMA and RNA - should we have?

Should I lower my hotel category from 4 star to 3 star or wait longer and try again for a 4 star on Hotwire/Priceline?

I have also been keeping my eye on Hotwire and the 3.5 star in the Mag Mile/Wacker for 78 seems interesting?????? Anyone have any ideas what this hotel is?

Right, better go and let someone else get a word in edgeways *laughs*

Yours hopefully in sunnyish Scotland!

M

Welcome to BetterBidding (and greeting from the US!)

As per the Chicago Hotwire Hotels List the 3.5* is likely (no guarantees) the Embassy Suites on State St. You can see this hotel first came up and was identified here: EMBASSY SUITES.

Although i've yet to stay in an Embassy Suites i am partial to them based upon everything i have read... cooked to order breakfast included (which can otherwise be very expensive in a city like Chicago), manager's reception with wine and soft drinks in the evening, refrigerators to keep grocery store soda/water cold, small kitchenette, extra room space, etc, all make for a great deal.

If i were in your shoes and given your prior rejections, i would probably take the Hotwire offering. Even if you were able to get a 3* a little cheaper on Priceline, the above mentioned perks would be worth the extra money to me (plus i still want to try staying at an Embassy Suites myself so that's another reason i'd be willing to pay a little more).

The last time i was in Chicago we stayed directly across from Grant Park. Although it was fine, the location was a little south of where we ideally wanted to be... it's a great location for the museum and aquarium, but not really in the heart of the action and shopping, and we said that on a next visit we'd stay more north on Michigan Ave.

If you enjoy live music, i would also check out my Chicago reco of Dona Oxford who often plays in the area (her May Schedule isn't up yet). I'm actually going to see her tomorrow nite here in town as she's returning for a show.

One other suggestion from my past trip. I don't know if the Observation Decks are open yet since 9-11 but they can be quite expensive to take an elevator ride up. Rather than do that my wife and i ate at the Signature Room for lunch... it was somewhat casual, she had the buffet and i had a burger and i think it cost us about $30 which isn't too bad for a sit down lunch in a big city, but was a great value if you consider going to the observation deck itself would have cost us about $20 or so (so essentially i viewed it as a $10 lunch for two which was great!). If you're on a low budget you can also just go up there for drinks, which are pricey in their own right, but still a less expensive (and more enjoyable) way to take in the view!

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

thanks for all of your information and help.

At the risk of being called a copy cat :) I have just gone and booked this on Hotwire for 26 May to 30 May inclusive..... which overlaps this HOTWIRE POST

Delighted that it has a good location and facilities - strange that the pool isnt even mentioned on the hotels website (or not that I could see anyway).

We have saved just over $400 by using your forum and Hotwire so will make sure to spend this on lots of nice things while we are there!!!

thanks again

M

ps I remembered to use the link at SavingsBarn.com for this purchase

:)

Thanks for the support of using that link for your purchase!!

Glad it worked out for you and you saved some BIG money to spend elsewhere in Chicago :)

No such thing as a 'copy cat' on this forum as what you did is exactly how this board is designed to work! When i referenced the other post i didn't even realize that the dates overlapped. Maybe the two of you can meet and have a BetterBidding 'meet n greet' during the Manager's Reception!

Have a great trip and enjoy your stay. I hope you enjoy the Embassy Suites as much i as i am looking forward to the opportunity to try one.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]