Hotwire Hotel: 3.5* Chicago (Evanston-Skokie-Niles) Orrington Hotel

cntrfieldsmom
By cntrfieldsmom,
in

My son and friend are going to Chicago July 18 checking out the 22nd. They (as I am) are unfamiliar with the city. A Cubs game is their first priority. Would like to see Sears tower too. They think they will rely on public transportation or cabs.

There is a package on hotwire for $462 (then 617 & 492 they change by the hour I swear) including airfare and 4 nights at the Hotel Orrington in Evanston or Holiday Inn Schamburg. I'm trying educate myself on the zones of Chicago but it seems confusing. The Evanston listing says 6 miles to Wrigley and about the same to downtown.

They don't need a *4 star, just something clean and safe. This will be a budget trip for 23 year olds.

Not sure if priceline is an option as the airfare may be higher without a package? I guess I could try airfare bidding (I haven't before) There's no history from our city that I can find.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Okay,

I checked that package for them, and I think I can do much better for them without it.

Airfare:

FSD-$275

Omaha-160

MSP-114

Even at the highest airfare bought direct it leaves $430 dollars between them for hotel.

If they want to drive to MSP (4 hours) it's really cheap. They said they would do this

Omaha is 3 hours.

I'm thinking we should try a priceline bid for FSD tickets. Then hotwire or priceline for a hotel. My problem is I think downtown will be too expensive??? After that, which zone should they be in?

Thanks again

The Orrington in Evanston is 4*, but doesn't get the greatest reviews. Still, I'd suggest Evanston over Schaumburg every single time, because in Evanston, you have both the Metra station and the CTA station to choose from in terms of getting to/from downtown. Plus, downtown Evanston's terrific - it's a college town with a lot of nice restaurants and shops. They could take the CTA directly to Wrigley and then take the Metra downtown and go to the Sears Tower.

What would be your max budget per night for hotel?

I'm thinking we should try a priceline bid for FSD tickets. Then hotwire or priceline for a hotel
Keep in mind that on the outbound flight their departure time could be late and on their return the departure time could be early... effectively eliminating 2 days from a 4 day trip. I'm not sure if that's a risk i would be willing to take.

Thoughts?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I forgot about that, probably not a good idea since it's a short trip. Now the airfares are way higher only a couple of hours later, geez. Now I really don't know how to help them. Even the hotwire package wouldn't guarantee them an early flight, correct? United flys non stop from FSD and NWA but NOT non stop, is there anyway to know which they use?

Aaron....great advice thanks. I'm assuming you're talking about public transportation? I like the Evanston idea a lot. As far as budget, it now will depend on the airfare. I think they'd be thrilled with $50-75 a night, is that even possible?

Even the hotwire package wouldn't guarantee them an early flight, correct?
Correct. Sometimes on HOTWIRE they will present you with "flight windows" so that you know if it's a morning, midday, or evening flight... but this option isn't always shown for all itineraries. I haven't done a HOTWIRE flight search in quite some time, so not 100% certain this option is still available, but worth a look at the different routes that are an option for this trip.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Aaron....great advice thanks. I'm assuming you're talking about public transportation? I like the Evanston idea a lot. As far as budget, it now will depend on the airfare. I think they'd be thrilled with $50-75 a night, is that even possible?

In terms of the 'burbs, the North suburbs are the nicest, but the public transit choices depend on which suburb you're in. If you can get a place in Evanston, that would be best, as in Evanston, you're right by the CTA "L" train *and* the Metra train. The metra train goes right downtown and is much nicer than the CTA (the Metra trains are similar to Amtrak, with bathrooms and 2 levels.), while the CTA goes downtown, but also goes by Wrigley on the way. Not to mention, Evanston's awesome. Great selection of restaurants, shops. There's a Whole Foods grocery a block from the Orrington. Evanston's gorgeous, modern library is across the street of the Orrington. The Orrington's maybe not the greatest hotel (recent reviews have not been very good), but it is a 4* that was recently renovated (reviews mainly are negative on the service, but I think if you're looking at it as more of a place to rest and you won't need the service much, it won't matter a great deal.)

I'm seeing what *appears* (not guaranteed) to be the Orrington for your dates on HOTWIRE for $64 per night (3.5* Evanston/Skokie/Niles area with fitness, restaurant, business, internet, golf) when I look up Evanston for your dates. Not sure if trying to get it separately would be a better value than the package.

The other option would be O'Hare. They could take the "L" downtown and then take the "L" North from downtown to Wrigley. It's a long trip on the "L", but there are HOTWIRE options out that way, as well, and if you're flying in there, it would be closer to the airport when you have to depart. In terms of the day-to-day though, it's much easier to get downtown from Evanston and at the end of the day, there's things to do in Evanston where there's nothing to do by O'Hare.

$75 doesn't seem likely for downtown, although it certainly wouldn't hurt to try Priceline for a 4* or 3* in either of the two main downtown areas (Millennium Park/Loop/Grant Park or River North/North Michigan ave.)

Okay, we've secured there flights. They decided to drive to MSP the night before and take advantage of $123 round trip tickets. It flies into Midway.

So...downtown rates seem high for these days. They are young and not yet used to nice hotels so comfort inns etc are fine with them :)

I'm willing to give the 2 downtown zones a try, but will about $75 be enough? If not, what do you suggest.

Is Evanston too far from Midway? They have a 7:00 am departing flight.

Any other suggestions for a safe, clean area?

The cheaper the better of course. They had to pay a premium for Cubs tickets due to Bonds breaking the record soon.

<<Okay, we've secured there flights. They decided to drive to MSP the night before and take advantage of $123 round trip tickets. It flies into Midway.

So...downtown rates seem high for these days. They are young and not yet used to nice hotels so comfort inns etc are fine with them

I'm willing to give the 2 downtown zones a try, but will about $75 be enough? If not, what do you suggest.

Is Evanston too far from Midway? They have a 7:00 am departing flight.

Any other suggestions for a safe, clean area?

The cheaper the better of course. They had to pay a premium for Cubs tickets due to Bonds breaking the record soon.>>

Eeek. Hmmm... Well, I think the problem is that Evanston is - in my opinion - the closest (it's on the North border of Chicago), nicest, safest and most appealing area for someone their age (I'm not that much older.) Evanston's a college town (Northwestern) and has a lot of nice restaurants and shops. When they get back at night, there will be things going on and places open. There's a gorgeous (one of the nicest in the area) multiplex in downtown Evanston.

On the other hand, there's really nothing like that near Midway (they would just have to go back to their room at the end of the day and that'd be it), and the area around Midway is not the nicest area - there's nothing to do, as well.

It will be very tough to get from Evanston to Midway for a 7AM flight. They would have to take a cab, as the limited public transit on Sunday that early in the AM would likely cause them to miss the flight.

I mean, they could stay in Oak Brook, which is just West of Midway and a much nicer area than Midway, but that area is more spread out. It would be easier for them to get to Midway from there, but it would be more difficult to get downtown and is more spread out, so without a car, not really a way to do anything. A lot of the outlying suburbs require a car to get around because they're so spread out - Evanston's not like that, as the downtown is all together.

Not really seeing much in Oakbrook. The O'Hare area gets to be too far out, as well.

Now this would involve a move for the last day, but I think it would really solve the whole issue of Midway at 7AM on the last day quite splendidly.

Search for HOTWIRE in Evanston for July 18-21. There should be a 3.5* with fitness, restaurant, business, hi-speed, golf. $64. That is *not guaranteed* (but a possible match for) the Orrington in the middle of downtown Evanston.

They spend 3 nights in downtown Evanston at (what is likely, as the Hotwire listing seems like a match for it) the Orrington.

Now - search for HOTWIRE for July 21-checkout 22nd for Downtown Chicago.

There should be a 4* in the Museum Campus/McCormick Place/Soldier Field with the amenities: fitness, pool, restaurant, business, hi-speed $102.

That is likely either the Hyatt McCormick Place or the Hilton Towers on South Michigan Ave, which would be in the South Loop part of downtown in the case of the Hilton or even a bit further South in the case of the Hyatt.

The average room rate would be $73.5 across all four nights, staying in your desired range.

The 4* Museum Campus Hotwire listing is also showing for 7/20, so they could possibly spend the last 2 days there, the first 2 in Evanston. That average would be higher at $83 per night.

Either hotel (Hyatt or Hilton) would not only bring them downtown for the last day, but make the trip to Midway at 7am on Sunday morning waaaaaaayyyyy easier.

Please ask if you have any questions.

Aaron,

How far is it from the midway zone to downtown zone? Is their transportation between the 2? The rates are very high downtown and since they aren't particular about the hotel they are wondering if the Midway zone would be adequate? What are your thoughts?

I just re-read your post about about the midway zone. so, hmmm, still pondering. the split might be the ticket

Am I correct if we bid 2.5* in Evanston we will have 2 rebidding zones (Millenium and Greater Chicago?)

I really have to stick with my suggestion of 2/3 days in Evanston, then 1/2 days in downtown. The rates for the final two days of their trip in the downtown area seem less than the first two. They'd be much happier in Evanston than they would be around Midway.

The other issue with Evanston is that I'm really pretty sure the 3.5* on Hotwire is the Orrington, which is right in downtown Evanston. If you bid for Evanston, you could end up much further West, in Skokie or Niles, which wouldn't be convenient. I really would not recommend bidding 2.5* for Evanston, as I believe the Holiday Inn Skokie is the main one that comes up for that.

If you do want to try bidding for Evanston, I would recommend bidding 4*. I believe the Orrington is the only 4* in the Evanston/Skokie/Niles area. I can't guarantee that, but the Orrington is - so far - the only reported 4* in that zone.

I still definitely think the 4* on Hotwire in the Museum Campus area for the last day or two would be perfect, though. Easy access to downtown and yet, not far from Midway.

I'm online, so please feel free to ask any questions.

The thing about the Midway area is that going to and from there is fine on the "L" as there are plenty of people always coming to and from the airport. There is a hotel area nearby the airport. However, there's really nothing much else around that area, and there are some areas nearby that aren't great.

The area around the Hyatt (one of the potential hotels the 4* in the Museum Campus area could be) also isn't great in spots (off to the West), but the hotel is very nice and there is a Metra electric train (different from CTA) station at McCormick Place that will take them right downtown to Millennium Park. Plus, McCormick Place itself is very nice and along the lakefront.

If they get the Hilton (the other possible 4* Museum Campus Hotwire hotel), then they're closer to downtown and right by a couple of colleges (Columbia, mainly), so there will be a lot of people near their age walking around.

You could also try bidding for the two main downtown zones (River North/North Michigan Ave. or the Millennium Park/Loop/Grant Park area) for the final day (or two), as the rates seem lesser on the last two days than the first two. I don't know if $75 would work, but it might or you may not be far off.

I do think you do have some good options. I think the only issue is that they may not be crazy about going all the way back to Midway at the end of the day. Evanston's not entirely close either, but at least there's a lot of restaurants and they can walk around and there's things going on at 8-9pm or later.

No problem at all. Always happy to help.

Additionally, if you want to try for downtown for the last night or two, you may want to try bidding first for a 4* in the Millennium Park/Loop/Grant Park area for around $90 to see if you couldn't get something a bit more central in downtown than the Hilton or Hyatt McCormick (the two likely possibilities for that $102 4* HOTWIRE in the Museum Campus zone on Hotwire.)

If you tried priceline and nothing happened, at least you know you could get that 4* for $102 on Hotwire.

I think it'll be great if they can at least spend the last night downtown, as that will make it much easier to get to Midway early the morning of departure.

As always, if there is anything you are uncertain amount, ask before making a hotel purchase and myself or board leader thereuare will be happy to help as best we can. Any questions large or small, just ask.

Once you get the hotel reservations settled, I would be happy to give directions to get from place to place.

Your call for the Orrington was correct. We booked it for $66 for the first 3 nights. Hotel website rate is 212.00. It had gone up a couple of dollars. I struck out with the last night and will have to retry tomorrow. I tried many combinations within the downtown zones and included the Midway zone down to a *2 at $50 no luck. They are very happy with the Orrington. Thanks again for your tremendous help, I will post back when I get the last night.

Wow! :) Great win on the Orrington, which puts them in a terrific location. It may not be the best 4*, but it's location that counts in this situation and I think that they'll really like Evanston a lot. I'll follow up this post in a few moments with some more details about getting around.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]