Priceline Hotel: Jersey City for Manhattan in July 17 - 21

Hummus
By Hummus,
in

Hello,

We are 2 couples flying into NYC from Europe and targeting mainly Manhattan. Looking for a 3*+ hotel inside or very close to Manhattan, hoping to keep it under $100 per room. We need 2 rooms for the four of us, I guess.

Reading this board, Jersey City on the Hudson seemed like a very good idea. However, I've been bidding the last 2 days $70 & $80 - rejected.

Edit: Of course, I used the SavingsBarn.com links to access Priceline for bidding - the least I can do to support this aswesome forum that tought me so much abot lodging in a city I neve saw in my life!

I do not know what I should do now. Wait while trying again? Increase the bid? Look somewhere inside Manhattan? Prices seem pretty high there. But we will pay if we have no choice...

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated! We were thinking that July is a little more relaxed in NYC, but now I am afraid we made a mistake choosing our vacation destination...

Rates at the Doubletree are well over $200/nite for your dates and rates at the Hyatt are over $300/nite (for 3 out of the 4 nites of your stay)

Is SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID an option? How high are you willing/able to go for a room in NYC? If looking at alternate sources, is sharing a room with quad occupancy an option?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

No, we can't split the bid. The risk of ending up in 2 hotels is too high. Since we only have 4 days in Manhattan, we don't want to waste a day moving luggage. The same reason we don't want to stay far from Manhattan: too little time, too many things to see.

We'll go as high as we have to... I mean we have to stay somewhere while visiting Manhattan. We're just trying to pay as little for it as possible so that we have more budget for other fun stuff to do there. :)

We'd gladly share a quad room if this is cheaper. I only ignored this option for Priceline, because of the "double occupancy only" guarantee.

Well you're going to have to 'give' someplace...

The least expensive option is in Secaucus for $129/nite (quad occupancy) on HOTWIRE... but door-to-door i suspect it will take you at least 40 minutes to get to the Port Authority and then you need to get wherever your heading in Manhattan. As an alternate to NYC, this area is a distant second choice to the Jersey City area... but Jersey City doesn't appear to be in your budget for this trip.

If you could stretch your budget, and only need basic accomodations, i would sooner book the Pod Hotel (you'll need 2 rooms). You'll be directly in Manhattan, walk out of your hotel and head wherever you'd like, stop by the hotel during the day if you need to pick something up or drop something off, and the reviews are pretty good (get past the first three... the first may be a legitimate complaint but the next two don't apply as 1) the hotel is not managed by WooGoo (thank god!) and that user's complaint should be direct at WooGoo, and 2) i'd only suggest getting a room with a private bath) You can book a non-refundable rate for $113 or a refundable rate of $133 using this link to The Pod.

I did just meet somebody who was staying at this property and i asked her how it was and she described it as pretty basic... but clean (which you don't always get for $100/nite in Manhattan)

Your thoughts?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I think The Pod is an excellent suggestion, thanks! The location is much better than Secaucus for us, considering that we want to see as much NY as possible in the time we have.

Before I book (through your link, of course) do you think I should try again priceline JC with the higher bid (100/113)?

It depends what you're looking for...

Jersey City will give you a higher rated and a bit more "luxury" from your stay... nicer furniture (the Pod is ikea-esque), high thread count linens, etc, etc... where The Pod gives you basic, clean, accomodations but location, location, location.

Given your desire to want to see as much of NYC in a short period of time that you can possibly squeeze in, i would probably favor The Pod, but it really is up to you and the others you're traveling with as to what's important to you. As well, the best hotel in Jersey City is the Hyatt... and i am doubtful that is currently avaialble for a price you're considering for this stay.

Thanks in advance for using our link to The Pod (assuming your go that route)

Let us know what you ultimately decide or if we can be of furhter help.

• 1 month later...
Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]