Priceline Hotel: New to PL need help for NYC trip in Oct

ebowers
By ebowers,
in

My sister and I are looking for hotels in NYC in early October (5-7). I am thinking either Midtown East or Midtown Central, and I would like to book at least a 4* hotel.

Most of the websites I've tried listed many hotels in the $350-$500 range for these dates, which is obviously out of my range. So I was going to try Hotwire to see what I could come up with.

I've found a hotel in Midtown East for $279 a night (regular price is listed as $337), so it's $58 off a night.

The amenities included are:

Fitness Centre

Restaurant

High Speed Internet

Pool

Business Centre

Tennis nearby

It has a 4 out of 5 rating on tripadvisor.

Can anyone hazard a guess as to which hotel this might be?

Any help you can provide would be appreciated.

Thanks! :)

I'm going to NYC in Oct and looking for a hotel from Oct 5-7. I would like a 4* or higher, but I don't know what a good example of a bid might be since I've never used this before.

Would $250 be too much? Most of the hotels I've searched on other sites are at least $100-$150. Does anyone think it would be wise to try a lower bid, and if so...how low would you go? (limbo jokes aside :) )

I'm hoping to stay in either Midtown East or Midtown West if I can. Does this seem like a reasonable offer. Also, do you think I should wait a bit before trying this, or is it best to book early?

Thanks for any help you can give. :)

There is also a 3.5* in Midtown Central for $199 (regular $295 a night) for a $96 savings.

It features:

Business Center

Internet

Restaurant

Fitness Centre

3 our of 5 rating for tripadvisor.

Any guesses as to what hotel this might be. I've searched Oct 6-8 as dates. Also, it says Best Value next to the price

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Would $250 be too much? Most of the hotels I've searched on other sites are at least $100-$150.
Do you mean $250 total for both nites? If so, note that the bid you place is per nite, so if that was the amount you wanted to bid you'd actually bid $125. Which raises the question... if you've found hotels for $100-$150, why would you bid $125 (ie- more than $100?) However, $100-$150 sounds very low for a direct purchase in NYC for this time of year... are these 4* hotels? If not, what is the lowest rate for a 4* property?
is it best to book early
See the related link in our PRICELINE FAQ.
I'm hoping to stay in either Midtown East or Midtown West
Is there a reason you're avoiding the UM/CPS zone? This area has some very nice hotels and is (imo) just as convenient as the other two areas you've selected. Adding this zone not only gives you more bidding opportunities, but also opens up the number of possible hotels able to accept your bid.

Let us know the above and we'll advise accordingly.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Ooops sorry, that was a typo. I meant that most of the hotels I've searched were $100-$150 more than the $250 I was willing to bid.

What does UM/CPS stand for? Is that Central Park? I just assumed that those hotels were more expensive, since when I searched there they seemed to be in the $600 or more range.

I was thinking about that too, but I wasn't sure about that area. The only hotel I've stayed in there was the Waldorf Astoria, which someone else paid for.

Is Oct usually a time when hotels are expensive? I know sometimes they hold conventions and things in the fall, but I wasn't sure about this time.

I guess I would be open to Midtown East or West or Central Park South. Just wondering what range I should start with.

Please keep all posts for the same stay in the same thread.

The 4* MTE hotel is a match for the Millennium UN Plazs while the 3* is a match for the Hudson Hotel so that would be our best guess for each.

Please use this HOTWIRE link to begin any purchases you make.

Do either of these properties interest you? If not, what is your maximum bid on Priceline?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Sorry about that.

They both would be ok, I don't know much about either of them. Do you have an opinion. I think I've heard the UN one is pretty good, although it's a bit of a walk to get anywhere is it not?

How is the Hudson? It looked ok from pics. Does this seem like a good price for 3.5*, like decent size rooms and stuff?

Some hotels I had been looking at were the Sofitel, City Club, Intercontinental and Grand Hyatt.

Probably, my max bid on priceline would be about $250 a night, considering taxes would be extra. My sister and I would be splitting the costs, so I think we could handle that much a piece. Definitely want to keep it under $300/night plus tax

I'd have a tough time swallowing $200+ per nite per room in just about any city... i've done it, but not before weighing other options, and i wouldn't lock in something non-refundable this far ahead of your check-in date (imo).

The Hudson gets very mixed revies, but for these dates the price seems decent (at this point in time).

The reviews of the Millennium UN are better, but if you're considering this property you can book it for the same rate (but without a booking fee, so actually cheaper) thru Quickbook... the advantage being that thru Quickbook it's fully refundable up until a few days before your stay so that you can continue to try the opaque providers as your dates draw closer.

It also depends what is most important to you... if you prefer a nice hotel over location you can also consider staying in Jersey City (NJ). You lose the "nyc vibe" (since you're in NJ :)) but there is a PATH train which will have you in Manahattan in 10-15 minutes, the hotels are nice, many have a view of the NYC skyline, and many people are quite happy there (especially if planning on "heading to the city once in the morning, sightseeing, and heading back at nite... not if you're the type that likes to stop by the hotel a few tiems a day to lay down, freshen up, etc)

Let us know your thoughts on the above and we'll proceed from there.

Really, you think that $200 is a lot for NYC? See, I just assumed that this would be a decent price for a city like that since hotels here can go for the same amount. Of course I've never tried to get any through these websites so perhaps you can get them much cheaper.

So you would start lower then? And not use these websites until later, just to check prices, that's sort of what I got from your message. I had thought about waiting until closer to the date, maybe another month or so just to see if things get cheaper.

Actually, we're staying at our friends house in Jersey but my sister wants to spend a couple nights in the city for the "experience". I would be nice to have the luxury of stopping by the hotel to change and things like that, say if we have dinner reservations or something.

I read a lot of reviews for the Hudson, and I think I would pass on that one. The UN one seems ok though. If you had to pick an area, which would you choose. I was just thinking Midtown East because I had stayed there before and it seemed ok, but Central Park South would be good too. I just worry about the price there. I don't think I want to stay in Times Square, as I think it might be too busy and possibly noisy or distracting with the lights.

I'd like a good location, as we're planning on shopping, so it would be nice to be able to drop off bags if we need to as well.

I'd love the Sofitel, it got great reviews and looks nice, but it's pretty pricey. It's website says $445 a night for Oct, but in the summer it's as low as $245 which I was prepared to spend. Perhaps it would get lower closer to the date? I don't know. I would think fall is generally an expensive time in NY anyway.

I guess if I went priceline I would start at about $140 and work my way from there for a 4*. Does that seem reasonable if you were to try?

I just think $200 is a lot for a hotel room in any city... certainly sometimes it costs more than that, but it's still a lot of money for a place to sleep (imo).

And not use these websites until later, just to check prices, that's sort of what I got from your message.
That's not really the message i was trying to convey (if there was a message along these lines). Let's say your best deal at this time is $279 cancellable at the Millennium UN thru Quickbook... maybe do try to beat this price thru priceline... but since it's non-refundable, make sure the savings are worthwhile... say only bid up to $200/nite (so that you're saving at least $80/nite... no sense in locking in a non-refundable reservation at this point in time to save $30)
I had thought about waiting until closer to the date, maybe another month or so just to see if things get cheaper
But what if things dont' get cheaper... but get more expensive :) This is why you want (ie- need) to book a fully refundable back-up reservation, to protect yourself if prices go up instead of down, as well as to know what the deal you're trying to beat is.
Central Park South would be good too. I just worry about the price there
You select the amount you're willing to pay... so no harm in including it in your bidding if you're willing to stay in that area. If you're lucky enough to get accepted there, it's just that much better of a deal.
I would think fall is generally an expensive time in NY
Yes, it is.
I guess if I went priceline I would start at about $140 and work my way from there for a 4*. Does that seem reasonable
What is your maximum bid (at this point in time, taking into consideration what i commented on above regarding making it worth your while to lock in a non-refundable reservation this far ahead of your stay)... from there we'll suggest a strategy for you to follow.

I did see that earlier but didn't mention it (perhaps i should have) as:

1) that rate is non-refundable... although there is a slightly more expensive rate which is refundable, but also...

2) there is only one bed in that room class... not sure if you're (and/or your sister) are comfortable sharing a bed

If all you're okay with locking it in now and sharing a bed the hotel does get very good reviews.

Please use our Quickbook link if you do book it.

Let us know.

Sharing a bed is ok with me, we've done it plenty of times. I'm familiar with that area, and the reviews do seem good.

If you had to pick, would you take the slighty higher refundable rate and keep trying priceline and hotwire. That's what I was thinking of doing.

This far ahead of your stay i would take the refundable rate... it's like a $20 (if i recall correctly) insurance policy. As well, there is an 'ok' chance that the non-refundable rate will still be on Quikbook in a few weeks (months?)... if that's the case and you exhaust other possibilities, then you can always cancel your refundble rate and re-book the less expensive non-cancellable rate.

My .02

Ok, so I've taken your advice and booked the refundable rate through the link you gave me. It's only like $23 more and you're right it's insurance in case something else comes up. I do think this hotel will be good, so unless I can get a way cheaper deal for a similar hotel I would probably stay with this one. I'll keep my eye out though because you could be right that this rate may be around in a couple months, or may be even cheaper

Thanks for your help, I appreciate it!

So i'm assuming that would put your maximum bid at about $180/nite? If so...

You have two re-bid zones available when bidding 4* in NYC. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 4* MTE...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $150, if rejeted close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTW...

Bid $150, if rejeted close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* UM/CPS...

Select 4* MTE and MTW...

Bid $155, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $160, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $165, if rejeted close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTE and UM/CPS...

Bid $155, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $160, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $165, if rejeted close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTE and MTW and UM/CPS...

Bid $170, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $175, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $180.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

Thanks! I understand the strategy, and I have read that topic. I appreciate the help a lot. I'll have a talk with my sister and see if she's ready to try that. I am, but it is the both of us staying so I want to make sure she's comfortable with it as well.

If we do it and win I'll make sure to let you know!

Ok I found a hotel on Hotwire that is roughly the same price as the Benjamin, but I tried the list and it doesn't seem to match anything. Maybe you can help?

This is the information listed

3.5* Midtown South for $216 (regular $345) for a $129/night savings

Ammenities:

Boutique hotel

Fitness

Business

High Speed Internet

Tripadvisor rating 4 out of 5

Any guesses as to what this would be? It doesn't seem to match anything provided on the list.

Thanks

This property has not yet been identified. We have been asked about this property before, and best guess is the hotel Chandler, but as nobody has purchased it yet, can't say for certain or with a high degree of confidence.

I will add though that with the very high rating for the Benjamin, you're probably not going to do better by going with a 3.5* property from HOTWIRE... if the price was a significant amount less then it made represent a better value and be worthwhile, but i wouldn't be making that change for $10-$15/nite.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]