Question about renting a car through Hotwire?

Double_Downon11
By Double_Downon11,
in

I am traveling to Hawaii tomorrow and thinking about renting a car for my stay and just wondered how booking through Hotwire works. I've booked through Betterbidding.com/Hotwire for hotels numerous times but never for a car rental. For example here is the disclaimer I get before I book:

You have selected a Hotwire Discount Rate rental:

You'll always get a car from a major car-rental agency: Alamo, Avis, Budget, Hertz or National. Once you make your booking, we immediately complete your reservation and show you the rental agency details.

Your account will be charged at the time of booking for the full rental amount, including all tax recovery charges and fees.

All bookings are final. You cannot get a refund or change this reservation once your booking is complete.

You will have the option to purchase insurance and add additional drivers to your contract at the rental counter for an additional charge.

Includes unlimited mileage.

Hotwire offers cars from brands you trust:

When it says you have the option to purchase insurance does that mean the price quoted doesn't include any insurance at all? Just trying to get a feel for how much more it might cost over the price listed (if any). Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

Renting a car through Hotwire is no different than renting directly from the car rental company, as far as insurance is concerned (unless your direct booking uses a specific negotiated rate that explicitly includes insurance).

Loss of or damage to the rental vehicle: no coverage is provided. Your options:

• Purchase a waiver from the car rental company; or
  • If you have your own car insurance in the U.S., it will probably cover the rental car. Check your policy; or
  • Your credit card probably covers loss/damage to rental cars. There are limitations and stipulations, so check your credit card agreement. This coverage is secondary to your own car insurance if you have one. Outside the U.S. it is primary (but some countries are excluded).

Liability: In some states, state law requires the car rental company to provide a state-specific minimum liability coverage. In other states, they are not required to and provide no coverage. Your own car insurance will probably cover you. Otherwise you will need to purchase coverage from the car rental company.

If you're using coverage from your own car's insurance, and there are additional drivers using the rental car, then those drivers' respective policies must cover them. Your own policy's coverage does not extend to others driving your rental car (unless these people are Named Insureds on your own car insurance policy, such as your spouse).

For people who do not own a car and have no insurance, but rent a car at least 15 days a year, I recommend what I do:

• Loss/damage to the rental car: use a credit card that provides coverage. Visa/MC usually cover rentals of up to 15 days, Amex up to 30 days (these vary, so check your CC agreement). Since you don't have your own car insurance, this coverage becomes primary.
  • Liability: get a "Non Owner" car insurance policy from AAA. I pay $175 a year for this policy that covers me whenever I drive a vehicle that I do not own, up to $500,000.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]