Inside scoop on using discount codes

jegyed3
By jegyed3,
in

Many of you use discount codes and I think the value in the those listed here is to let you know about the variety of codes out there. I did see some questions as to what could and could not be used. Having been behind the counter for a good number of years I thought I would let you know how the companies view things.

Discount codes are to drive buisness. Leisure rates are often lower than corporate rates if booked far in advance, however a negotiated rate will always be honored, even if the going rate is 3 times as much.

This is in exchange for business throughout the year. I often find that an Airline frequent flyer rate saves me a bundle.

It is the policy of the rental car firm to ask for an ID to confirm eligibility to receive that rate. In practice this often does not happen because the counter staff often wants to expedite the transaction. I would estimate that at some firms you will almost never be asked and at others you will be asked 75 to 80% of the time.

If you are asked for an ID and have no way to confirm it the rental company may charge you the walk up rate. On busy days this can be very expensive.

My favorite story on this subject is when, in the 90's, a customer was using the IBM corporate rate at $19.99 a day for a full size car in California. I am sure he was proud of himself until he returned the car to discover that IBM had negotiated the rate with no mileage included. This person toured all of California at an additional 20 cents a mile. A very expensive rental.

If you use a discount code with the benefits of liability protection or a damage waiver, as someone mentioned in another post, and something happens you will be asked to provide proof of your affiliation with that discount code.

Car rental firms are self insured meaning if you crash the car it comes out of their pocket. If they have given you free benefits they eat the loss, so this detail will not be overlooked. If you cannot provide proof of affiliation, the contract is considered fraudulent and the benefits will be denied. In addition your rate may revert to a rack rate (expensive). If you rely on a credit card to cover damages they may deny you based upon the fraudulent contract. I have no experience with the latter since the car rental company bills the customer and leaves it to them to submit a claim to whomever, most likely their own insurance company.

Hope this helps.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]