Hotwire Hotel: 3* Frederick Holiday Inn Ft. Detrick

iahphx
By iahphx,
in

As usual, I feel a little suckered by my hotwire experience.

Needed a room in Frederick for a night -- a town without any really "nice" properties, so we're basically talking motels. Hotwire listed mine as a 3-star, and put a lot of (admittedly vague) "amenity" icons next to it. They also listed a couple of 2-star properties, at about the same price, with far fewer amenity icons.

Meanwhile, Priceline displays 2 1/2 star and 2 star bidding opportunities for Frederick. Looking at TOBB, I see folks had gotten a bunch of 2-star holiday inns over the years in the $30 to $35 range. So I bid $31 first at 2 1/2 stars and then at 2 stars. I don't necessarily expect to get hit, but I did expect a counteroffer (especially since I know from Hotwire that some properties are "lurking"). Priceline just rejects my bids with no comment.

So then I have this dilemna: the one amenity I would like at a roadside motel in Maryland in March is an indoor pool. Looking at my AAA guide, about half the rated motels in Frederick have them. I reasonably presume these are the "nicer" ones, more likely to get a better star rating. Hotwire tells me their 3-star has, among all those other things, a pool (unfortunately, Hotwire never tells you whether it's indoors). I have $25 in hotwire bonus bucks (from a hotwire snafu a year ago) that I can use. That brings my base price down from $47 to $22. Given that priceline looks like it will cost me at least 40 bucks -- if I can get a room at all -- I figure it's a good time to use by hotwire bonus money and presumably increase my chances at an indoor pool. After all, the hotel is 3 stars!

Bad guess. The Holiday Inn I get is the ordinary one in town WITHOUT the indoor pool. Why it rates 3-stars in hotwire's system is, as usual, beyond understanding.

Oh well. An inexpensive place to sleep. I won't be getting my winter swim in. And I doubt I'll be using hotwire much in the future.

Amenity icons were restaurant, pool, fitness center, golf, tennis and laundry.

Not sure folks need to avoid it, but they should know that a hotwire 3-star hotel in Frederick (and, from my experience, anywhere) is likely no better than a 2-star priceline property -- and probably worse than priceline's 2 1/2 star hotels. Accordingly, unless they have bonus money like I did, it would be pretty silly to accept Hotwire's $47 offer without gradually bidding up to that level on priceline for their 2* and 2 1/2* levels.

Unless you're particularly partial to basic Holiday Inns!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]