European car rentals -- a guide

iahphx
By iahphx,
in

As a value conscious traveller, I'm constantly amazed at how quickly the travel "game" is being changed by technology. Strategies I used to score deals just a few years ago are no longer effective, or are simply unnecessary in the internet age. But some vestiges of the "old ways" linger.

And so it is if you want to get the best deal on a car rental in Europe. You will have to abandon your computer, and pick up your telephone. And do some old fashioned haggling, not unlike if you wanted to BUY a car! I'll explain.

As many of you know, the trick to getting a good deal on a car rental in the US is generally to NOT use the phone. You want to visit one of the major internet booking engines like Orbitz, and then (if you have the time) scout the websites of each individual car company looking for special "internet offers." Perhaps you'll want to enter a few different "discount codes" into the rate field to see which one is cheapest. Maybe even look at Hotwire and consider a Priceline bid (although I find car bidding to be the best deal in only maybe one out of fifty rentals). None of these strategies is likely to net you the best deal on a European rental, however (and priceline and hotwire don't do European cars).

Why? Because the best deals on European car rentals are generally through consolidators -- companies like AutoEurope, ITS, Europe by Car, Kemwel, etc. In other words, the MIDDLEMEN save you money! You generally pay more to book directly with the car rental companies themselves. And while some of the consolidators do have websites, which are worth looking at BEFORE you call, it is unlikely you will get the best deal unless you talk to one of their agents.

To get started, Rick Steves has put together a good list of European car rental companies, including the consolidators. http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/tips/rentcar.htm

Here's what I then do: the first place I generally go is Alamo.com (OK, the internet is now a LITTLE useful on this). Like in the US, Alamo often has the lowest published rates in Europe. They often list a promotion with a discount code attached. Enter it, and maybe any coupon offer you have, and see what pops up (don't forget to consider whether you want an automatic or a manual shift). This generally will be a decent, competitive rate. You've found your "base price" useful to future negotiations. Feel free to make a fully cancellable reservation on alamo.com so you'll be holding "something."

You can then compare that price to what you'll find at other major car rental companies (either by phone or on the web), like Avis, Hertz, National, Budget, etc. In my experience, sometimes Hertz has a good promotion, but usually Alamo is still cheapest.

You then take the best of these published rates and start calling the consolidators (you can first look at their websites to get an idea of their prices). The trick to using the consolidators is that their rates are usually FLEXIBLE -- the first rate they quote you generally won't be their best. Indeed, most of them have what's called a "beat rate department" where if you tell them you've gotten a better rate elsewhere, they will generally try to beat it (among the car rental companies themselves, Hertz will sometimes beat rates, too). Sometimes they demand "proof" of your lower rate (like a confirmation number), sometimes not. And, needless to say, it is sometimes possible to play the consolidators off against themselves (beating each other's "beat rates"!). How well you do is largely a product of how good a negotiator you are (luck helps too). In my experience, you'll soon develop a "feel" for when you're nearing the bottom price -- the key is to usually "annoy" the beat rate representative a little, but not so much that they don't want to help you. (Like you can't go back 4 times and say "A-hah, I now have a lower rate!").

I personally usually wind up with AutoEurope because they have a good beat rate desk and they're generally easy to deal with (and reliable). I am, however, always prepared to go with someone else if AutoEurope won't at least match the best price I can get, and do so occassionally.

And, oh, by the way, the Europeans almost always pay MORE to rent their own cars, so don't think you'll do better to "wait until you get there". And while there are some "local" car rental companies (particularly in the UK), in general I find their rates are not cheaper than going with the major US companies and -- especially -- the beat rates from the consolidators.

Now whether you actually WANT to rent a car in Europe, well, that's a topic for another day.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]