Priceline Hotel: HELP, 4 Nights 4* 5* 05/27 to 05/31

mtohio
By mtohio,
in

Yes, this is memorial day weekend.

I have [as a backup - refundable no deposit was required] The Hilton Washington [on connecticut ave.] for $169 per night [includes full breakfast for 2 each day]

Now sure what to bid on priceline at this point, but am pretty certain it would be best to do sooner, NOT later.... also, not sure what star class this hotel is [ ? 3* ]

With regard to bidding, I have not idea what is reasonable, or where to start.

Maybe 4* for $125 per night ??? but, I am really not sure.

I agree that sooner is better.

However, i think that $125 is probably too much to start with at this point. I'll supply a bidding strategy in a moment, but if not successful the first time around would you rather wait and raise your maximum or split the bid into two separate stays?

Let me know as it will likely affect the strategy given.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I think you have a good back-up, particularly given that hilton.com is showing that hotel as sold out. As a native of DC, I also think that the Dupont/Woodley Park zone where that Hilton is located is ideal.

As far as 4*'s in that zone, there are two reported, the Omni Shoreham, which is sold out, and the Westin Embassy Row. The latter would definately be a step up from the Washington Hilton, and they're showing availabilty at $245.

I'm sure thereuare will come up with a strategy at least as good as mine, if not better, but if you want to stick with the Dupont/Woodley zone and would rather try to get things over with now, this is how I would proceed:

Start with 4* Dupont/Woodley at $80

add Alexandria/Mt. Vernon at $90

add Alexandria/Pentagon at $100

add Arlington at $110

add Crystal City at $120

add Springfield at $125

If you want to try to save even more money, I would suggest considering 3* in the Dupont/Woodley zone (which is what your back-up is rated by Priceline). I see a couple of hotels in that zone showing availabilty at $179, including the Churchill, an excellent hotel right across the street from the Washington Hilton. If it were me, I would try a bid of $60.

Travelguy... Thank you SO MUCH for your bid strategy.

I will start bidding very soon, just need to get a few things regarding our trip dates "exact"

Yes, my backup was very lucky.... originally, when I went on the Hilton and Expedia websites, the property was sold out for most of the dates, and then, I tried again, and they had space at the $169 for the entire stay... very strange, but I think a decent rate for a NON-Prepay 24 hour cancellation.

thereuare, to answer your question, I think I would "rather" bid every 3 days, rather than split my stay --- we really don't like the "possibility" of having to change properties.

Thank you both again, and I look forward to the additional bid strategy from thereuare.

Also, I would NOT be devasted if I ended up w/ my backup.

Do you have any idea if this hilton property upgrades HHonors Gold members, and if so, to what type of room --- maybe since we would be checking in before the "memorial weekend rush" we have a better chance --- any opinions ?

Michael

Before i add my bidding strategy thoughs, TravelGuy, you left out the ConventionCetner/Capitol Hill, GeorgeTown/FoggyBottom, and WhiteHouse/Downtown zones. Since you know the area, are these not where a visitor would want to stay? Is Dupont Circle/Woodley Park the ideal area? Since you know the area i figured i would ask before i add a strategy so i'll know whether to include those areas or not.

Thanks.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Well, I focused on Dupont/Woodley as that's the area chosen for the back-up and I also think it's the best area to stay. But perhaps mtohio would be willing to consider other zones. If so, that would help getting a 4* because the Westin Embassy Row doesn't come up that often.

I suggested bidding in $10 increments as my impression was that mtohio would rather try to get this over with now for peace of mind rather than mess with multiple bids. If multiple bids aren't a problem, however, I would suggest bidding in $5 increments, particularly if you'll be adding multiple 4* zones.

With regard to HHonors upgrades, it's my understanding that unfortunately Hilton's policy is that there are no HHonors benefits whatsoever for Priceline stays. However, you might want to show your Gold card at check-in and ask if they would at least be so kind to give the best room available to a Gold member. Depending on the clerk, you might get a better room or at least avoid being "Pricelined".

I know you don't want to split the bid but just so that you're fully aware, rates are considerably cheaper for May 27-29 vs. May 29-31.

Bidding all nites together i would consider bidding as high as $140 or so for a 4* hotel. At the 4* level you have 4 'live' zones and 5 re-bid zones.

I would add zones in the following order:

Dupont $80

Georgetown $85

Convention $90

White House $95

Re-Bid #1 $100

Re-Bid #2 $110

Re-Bid #3 $120

Re-Bid #4 $130

Re-Bid #5 $140

You can decide which of the first 4 zones you want to try for (all of them or only a few of them). If you choose to exclude any of the first 4 zones, just skip that zone and proceed to the next one, bidding the actual amount beside the zone you add.

So for example if you decide to skip the Convention zone, you would be bidding $80, $85, $90, $100, $110, etc. If you decide to skip two zones out of the first four then post back as to what zones you'll actually be bidding and i'll re-write it to make it wasy on you.

If this is too confusing just post back as to which of the first 4 zones you'll be bidding and i'll re-post in a much simpler format :)

TravelGuy, feel free to jump in you have any thoughts on the above.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]