Priceline Hotel: Resort Puerto Rico (San Juan) Caribe Hilton

Russell515
By Russell515,
in

Hi,

I would like to bid on a resort hotel in San Juan on 3/29 (Mon night-1 night only). From other posts, it looks like $70 is an ok priceline.com bid for a Monday night resort in the San Juan area. Do you agree?

I would rather stay in the Caribe Hilton, but I know I could also get the Wyndham Condado if I use priceline. Hotwire.com looks like it has the Hilton (4*-the amenities looked the same) for $110. Do you think my chances are good to get the Hilton through priceline, or should I book it through Hotwire?

Thanks a bunch for your help

Welcome to BetterBidding!

I'd recommend you start wth a bid of $65 for a Resort property. In the past this has been high enough to get you the Hilton (when available) and low enough to keep you out of the Wyndham... when all the stars line up properly :)

If you have any add'l questions feel free to ask.

Let us know how it goes and we'll update it from there.

Good Luck.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I tried $65 and it was rejected. They added the following note:

'We searched hundreds of options to find your hotel room, however we were not able to find a hotel that would accept your price for $65 per room, per night. Your credit card has not been charged for Request Number x. If you are willing to raise your price by $17, you can try the same request again right now.

Normally you are required to change additional items (add zones, star level, or dates) in order to try your request again. However we are able to extend this one-time opportunity to you because of the zone, quality level and dates you requested. '

Should I increase the bid to $77 and hope for the Hilton or can I change the criteria? Maybe add an area w/o a Resort.

Thanks for your help-hopefully it will work this time

BTW-I used savingsbarn.com

Thanks for using the SavingsBarn.com

There are no zones without Resort (ie- no re-bids) available so anything you add would be a 'live' zone.

Since Priceline is asking you to raise your bid to $82 they won't let you re-submit for any amount less than that without adding a zone or lowering your star level (neither of which i recommend).

You have 3 choices at this point:

1) Wait it out 72 hours and try again

2) If you want to just 'get this done' you could go for the $82 offer, but i think you have a greater likelihood of the Condado than the Hilton (although both are possibilities as i'm fairly certain both are available).

3) If you'd much prefer the Hilton at ~$106 vs. the Condado at $82 (by bidding now) or $75 (if you wait 72 hours) than i would take that now via Hotwire.

How much extra is the Caribe worth to you over the Wyndham? If the anser is ~$30 than Hotwire is your answer, if it's not worth the extra money than the question is just whether to try again or wait it out.

Personally i'd most likely be inclined to wait it out and bid $70 next time, if rejected bid $75 the time after that. I really enjoyed the Hilton when i was there last August (my experience in the HOTEL REVIEWS section) but don't know if it's worth 40% more than the Wyndham. I think i'd take the chance and wait it out for 2 more bidding cycles, which will only take another week. After that, it'll be time to take get more serious and pin something down.

Feel free to ask any questions any of the above raises.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Congratulations!!

Glad to hear it and thanks for reporting.

This may be an indication that the $65 rate may no longer be available thru Priceline (ever)... just another example of the hotel market getting a little stronger in some zones and prices firming up a bit. We can handle the extra $5, but bidding strategies will need to be adjusted to account for this going forward.

Be sure to read my review referenced above as it includes some tips about expedited check-in, manager's reception, breakfast, etc.

Enjoy your stay.. glad you got what you were looking for.

This may be an indication that the $65 rate may no longer be available thru Priceline (ever)...

Not sure I follow your logic.

Granted, if it's going to be available it will probably be available on a weeknight. However, a Monday night is less likely than a Tues-Wed.

March is still high season in San Juan, though the end of March is less in demand than mid-Feb through mid-March.

That $65 isn't available on a particular night at a particular time shouldn't on its own be indicative of future availability. Now if $65 consistently fails, over a period of time, for various periods throughout the year I'd buy it.

Hotels can load more than 50 rates into Priceline at any given time. $70 isn't necessarily "the new" rate.

Although it certainly could be!

Thanks for questioning my logic so that i can explain further...

Based upon past experience, i have never seen a $70 rate (unless a user didn't first try $65). Essentially the rate was either $65 and if that failed, then over $100 (even though there where tries inbetween). So this is the first time i have ever seen $65 fail and then an acceptance at less than $100.

So that was my thinking and i agree that it's hard to draw conclusions from a sample size of 1 (which is why i said "...may be an indication...") but i'm sure we'll certainly learn more in time.

I'd love to be wrong on this. :)

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]