Priceline Hotel: 3* Newark (Jersey City) Hyatt Regency

ricolaw78
By ricolaw78,
in

Hi everyone, let me just say first off the site is great! I've used it once before but am just now registered.

I'm trying to get a 3 or 2.5 hotel in the Jersey City area that is close to a PATH train for easy access to NYC,

and my budget is 95 bucks a night max. I can walk a couple blocks, no problem.

First I tried the Hyatt and Doubletree, and bid in Jersey City, then Elizabeth. No luck for 95.

Now, I'd like to try the Courtyard by Marriott in Jersey City, but I can't find any info for it on betterbidding.

I'm wondering, is this hotel still offered on Priceline? Are there any other 2.5* in Jersey City? I'd hate to win a hotel that's far from a PATH station...

Is the 2* Candlewood Suites really that far from the PATH station? If it's more than a 10 minute walk, and not safe to walk at night, forget it...

I'm open to any suggestions. If you know of a good hotel with easy access via train to Manhattan for under 95, please let me know! Thank you very much in advance.

thanks for the fast response. I dont think that would be an option, just out of fear we'd win a hotel far away from a path station. We are flying in and don't want to rent a car...

Any other ideas? If we could go up to 100 a night that would be our top...

I dont think that would be an option, just out of fear we'd win a hotel far away from a path station.
Not sure you understand correctly... as couldn't you win a hotel far from the PATH station for your complete stay?

Would you be open to staying at the Hyatt for 2-3 nites of your stay and at another hotel (Doubletree, Candlewood, etc) for the other 1-2 nites of your stay?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

yes, after thinking about it, i'd definitely be open to splitting my bid, as long as there's a strong chance both the hotels are close to a PATH station.

For example, the Hyatt and Doubletree (both 3* right?) would be great, because they're near stations.

The Candlewood doesn't work, because it's a 10 minute walk.

The Courtyard in Jersey City is perfect because it's close to a station and it's only 2.5 stars. My only concern with that one is 1) I hear it's tough to win on priceline, and 2) are there any other 2.5 stars that don't show up on your priceline list? I'd hate to bid 2.5 and win some other hotel in jersey city that's far away from a station.

To be 100% clear, my goal is to get a decent hotel under 100 bucks with easy access to a PATH station so I can access manhattan easily. I don't care if it's 3* or 2*, or in Brooklyn Queens or Jersey...

I'd love the Courtyard in jersey because hopefully I could get it for 85-90...

Thanks again!!!!

This was my thought process...

I think you can get a 3* in Jersey City for $65-$75 for 5/27-5/29.

If successful, then the nites of 5/25-5/27 come into play, and i don't think that leg of your stay will come as easily (or as cheaply). You could try to bid for those two nites as well (nothing to lose if you're flexible in location) or as a back-up:

The Candlewood Suites can be booked for $129/nite. It's really not a bad walk at all, but if you're not that mobile or it's raining, the hotel does run a shuttle to the PATH station on a half hour schedule (up until 10:30pm). Assuming your successful with the other stay above thru Priceline then your average nightly cost would be within your budget.

If the Candlewood Suites is still not an option, the Courtyard can be booked directly for $159/nite, bringing your average cost to just over your budget.

Maybe i'm biased, but i really don't recommend Brooklyn or Queens as "manhattan substitues"... many of the areas aren't very nice, comfortable, or as attractive as the Jersey City waterfront.

Does this make sense and/or work for your plans? Your thoughts?

If you need a specific strategy for your priceline bidding feel free to ask and we'll detail it out for you.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

That sounds like a great plan. I'd MUCH rather be on the Hudson waterfront than in BK or Queens...

Here's something I'm not sure I mentioned clearly in the posts below. Our ideal situation would be to get the 2.5* Courtyard for all 4 nights, because it's close to a station and it would be cheaper (hopefully).

But, if that's not an option, as long as we get a 3* for 2 nites, I think we'll be ok. Do you think we can win the 2.5* Courtyard on Priceline for 5/25-5/27? I'd like to try that, and if we can't get that, then try the Candlewood Suites on Priceline.

A bidding strategy would be great! Maybe this outline would help:

Best Case Scenaro -

5/25 - 2.5* Courtyard

5/26 - 2.5* Courtyard

5/27 - 2.5* Courtyard

5/28 - 2.5* Courtyard

Second Choice -

5/25 - 2.5* Courtyard

5/26 - 2.5* Courtyard

5/27 - 3* Hyatt/Doubletree

5/27 - 3* Hyatt/Doubletree

Thanks again for all your help, this is great. Lots of fun trying to do this for the best possible price.

There are few problems with your logic above...

The Hyatt is usually less expensive than tha Courtyard (yes, i know the Courtyard is a lower rated hotel, but it is usually more expensive than the 3* properties when the 3 star properties are offering highly discounted rates).

As well, you can't first bid on a 2.5* and then on a 3*... you can only do it the other way around. Since your 2.5* bid would be the minimum you are willing to accept, Priceline would also check for 3 star hotels on that bid. Therefore, when you tried to switch to 3* bidding that bid would be viewed as a duplicate bid (and not processed).

As long as your comfortable with the hotel direct prices for the first two nites of your stay, i would begin as follows:

You have one re-bid zone when bidding 3* in Jersey City. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

5/25-5/29

Select 3* Jersey City...

Bid $65, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $70, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Re-try the above in the following date order:

5/26-5/29

5/27-5/29

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

Oh ok, gotcha! I didn't realize the Courtyard would be more expensive.

For the second leg of the trip, what about bidding on Priceline or using Hotwire to get the Candlewood Suites? That would be much better than paying the full 129... Any strategies or tips for that?

I'll give it a try, thanks again for your help, I really appreciate it.

For the second leg of the trip, what about bidding on Priceline or using Hotwire to get the Candlewood Suites? That would be much better than paying the full 129... Any strategies or tips for that?
Actually, this would be the first leg of your trip... but booking it second.

I suspect you'll get the 3* bid for only the last two nites of your stay, but we don't know until you bid it. Therefore, we also don't know the dates you'll be needing for the beginning of your stay (two nites or just one), so you'll need to take this one step at a time.

However, you don't want to make one purchase and then not have any options in your budget for the balance of your stay, which is why we outline the above hotel-direct purchases as a 'worst case scenario' (which really isn't that bad)... then we can try to beat it once we have pinned down your first purchase (which is for the second half of your stay) and know exactly what date(s) you need.

Thank you, it worked. We ended up going with a really cool hostal on the upper west side for 60 bucks a nite. So, we kind of have the best of both worlds: A budget hotel in a really cool area and a really really nice hotel in an area close to Manhattan. Used the savingsbarn.com to get priceline, of course.

Thanks again for all your help!!!! It was a great experience and I'll be sure to tell everyone I know about the site.

Best,

Ricardo

5/25-5/29

Selected 3* Jersey City...

Bid $65, rejected

Bid $70, rejected

closed browser and re-access priceline thru savingsbarn.com

5/26-5/29

Bid $65, rejected

Bid $70, rejected

closed browser and re-access priceline thru savingsbarn.com

5/27-5/29

Bid $65, rejected

Bid $70, accepted!

Your Offer Price Per Room, Per Night: $70.00

Subtotal: $140.00

Taxes & Service Fees: $30.50

Total Charges*: $170.50

Thanks to Thereuare for all the help and knowledge.

Congratulations on your success!

Glad to hear you received the hotel you were hoping for (and at a great price) and that the board was able to help! :)

Thank you for sharing your results with the rest of us and for using the PRICELINE links at SavingsBarn.com to begin your bidding.

Enjoy your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]