Priceline Hotel: 4* San Francisco (USE - Embarcadero) Grand Hyatt

BEAV
By BEAV,
in

This was a same-day booking made at 3:00pm for a spontaneous trip to SF (live 30 minutes away).

Began bidding at $47, upping to $52 before acceptance at $55.

I had been shying away from using Priceline in SF due to the large, combined zone. I don't care for the Hilton, and try to avoid it if at all possible. As a result, Hotwire has gotten some of my SF Priceline business lately. Hotwire's five zones = Priceline's one.

Since we never see the Hilton reported for less than $65, I gambled that an accepted bid below that amount would probably net one of the Hyatts. In this case, it worked like a charm. I needed one more night to qualify for Hyatt's Faster Free Night promo, and this did the trick.

Nice work!

I know many people are disappointed with Priceline's new redesigned zones in this area. Not sure if i'm imagining things, but i do believe that Hotwire has been getting more competitive of late and has been coming in quite handy in zones with 'less than desirable' properties (they've always been more user-friendly). Your above scenario is a perfect example.

Perhaps part of this change is the take-over by InterActive Corp... which certainly knows the hotel market. Let's hope the gap between the two continues to narrow.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

It's my opinion that the "trick" to getting recognition from Hyatt on Priceline and/or Hotwire stays is to charge an incidental to your room account. You don't accrue Hyatt points for the actual stay, however you do receive points on incidental charges. Hyatt also keeps tabs on your number of visits (again, as long as you charge an incidental). I had enough Hyatt stays last year to reach Platinum status for this year. In my case, all Hyatt stays were via either Hotwire or Priceline.

Incidentally, I received a certificate recently, good for either an upgrade to the regency club, hotel amenity, or 1,000 bonus points for dining. Upon check-in the Hyatt employee gave me both the regency club upgrade plus the hotel amenity. I did not "push" the issue of the certificate, but merely laid it on the counter, since I expect nothing more than a room on a Priceline/Hotwire stay. In my experiences, Hyatt seems to discriminate the least against Priceline/Hotwire guests.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]