Priceline Hotel: 4* NYC (MTW) Millenium Broadway

antlori
By antlori,
in

Please can someone help me with a bidding strategy for 4* Times Square hotel for 2 nights, Mar.9-11. I tried MTW at $85, then added UWS at $90 but no takers. I can rebid on Saturday. Would like to get something no higher than $100. Earlier this month I got the Millennium Times Square for $99 and it was great. Want to be near the TKTS booth again as we're here for the theater but would take south Central Park area (I believe this is UMT) if we can't get Times Square in the $100-$115 range. Rates seem very high on Hotwire for our dates. What do you suggest? We still have a little time and I don't want to panic.

I just checked Hotwire again--rates in the Times Square area haven't changed and there's only 3 choices showing up, a 4.5* at $230, a 4* at $197 and a 3* at $134. The 4* has come down a bit as it was $201 when I checked on Feb.26. As I mentioned before, we don't want to get too far away from the Times Square area as we're there for the theatre. What strategy would you advise?

I think you're maximum is likely too low for 4* for this stay. If you maximum bid is still $115, i would bid:

4* Times Square

Bid $105 if rejected add re-bid zone and

Bid $110

if rejected start from a new screeen and...

4* Midtown Central

Bid $105 if rejected addi re-bid zone and

Bid $110 if rejected add TimeSquare zone and

Bid $115

Since location to the Theater District seems most important to you (i'd disagree somewhat as i don't think location is that important in NYC as i discuss in NYC ZONE DESCRIPTIONS... but i realize your needs/desires/thoughts may be different than my own) it's probably too riskly to use any other Priceline zones.

However, when looking at Hotwire there is a 3.5* hotel in the MTE zone for $109 that appears to be the Roosevelt which is located on Madison and 45th St. This is probably closer to the Theater District than most of the hotels in the MTC area. Of course this guess could be wrong and you may get a different hotel in the MTE zone, but i think this is an educated and logical guess that has a good chance of working out well for your location needs.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I already tried again last night.

MTW - $105

MTW + UWS - $115

Still no takers so I thought I would add Upper Midtown (is this what you mean when you say Midtown Central?) but I messed up by bidding lower instead of higher. I'll try again on Tuesday night using the strategy you suggested. I see someone got the Waldorf for $97 and I was thinking of adding MTE but then I saw someone else got the Millennium UN and I don't think we'd be happy with that. In any case, these are both pretty far from Times Square. We like to fall out of bed and walk across the street to the TKTS booth, and we don't plan on doing any sightseeing.

I'm guessing that the Waldorf rates you saw were not for the same dates as your stay. As prices for your date(s) appear to be higher than usual, looking at winning bids during times of 'typical' demand is probably not going to give you any insight.

Not sure of you're feelings on the Roosevelt, but that property is probably only a 5 minute walk to the TKTS booth (from Madison to 5th Ave, 6th Ave, TKTS booth)... and it may or may not be there in 72 hours. (written before i saw your post immediately above)

If you're willing to go higher than $115 i would be raising my bid to your new maximum on the next round of bidding as at that time you'll be within a week of arrival (but that's my opinion, i'm certainly not encouraging you to bid more than you want to, but i think a hotel will have a very good idea of occupancy levels one week before check-in and won't be 'holding back' rooms until the very last minute).

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I saw the Roosevelt on Expedia for $99 so I'm not really worried about it disappearing. While most of the hotels on Hotwire have been increasing in price, it has remained fairly constant. It's okay but we've been spoiled by the Millennium. I won't hold back when I get to bid again. We would rather pay a little extra to get what we want, but not a lot extra (regular prices for the Millennium are over $200 a night). I'll let you know what happens next week. Thanks again.

Sat. Feb.28:

4* MTW - $105 rejected

4* MTW + UWS - $115 rejected

Wed. Mar.3

4* MTW - $125 rejected

4* MTW + UWS - $130 rejected

then

4* UMT - $130 rejected

4* UMT + MTW - $135 rejected

4* UMT + MTW + UWS - $141 rejected

Thurs. Mar.4

3* MTW - $90 rejected

3* MTW + UWS - $100 ACCEPTED!!! Millennium Broadway

Go figure!

Worked out for the best... little did you know being rejected at $141 was a blessing!

Since this hotel has previously been reported as 4* i'm going to assume it's still a 4* and that you were upgraded. Another fine example of how inventory can and does change at any time!

Glad you were ultimately successful and had benign results.

Enjoy your stay in the Big Apple... hopefully the warm weather we've been having will last thru your stay!

I'm so glad I didn't take the "Roosevelt" on Hotwire for $109. There was a 4.5* MTE on Hotwire for $136 that I almost took yesterday (it had been as high as $200 on Monday). I think it might have been the Intercontinental Barclay. But I thought I'd give Priceline one more try at 3* MTW first.

It would be nice to keep some of this warm weather for next week but we don't mind if it's cold. We were in NY last month on one of the coldest days of the year, freezing our butts off in the TKTS lineup. Met some great people and drank a lot of hot coffee!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]