Priceline Hotel: 4* Chicago (NMA) Hyatt

awesomedeals
By awesomedeals,
in

I'm looking for advice to bid on a Chicago NMA (North Michigan Ave.) 4-star hotel (or better). I'd prefer not to end up with the Hyatt just south of the river - we'd rather stay up in the middle of the magnificent mile. Looks like the Hyatt has been going for as low as $43 lately. If I put in a higher "starting" bid (keeping the "free" re-bid options open)- say $60, do you think I'd have a better chance of getting a different hotel? Do you think I'll need a higher "starting" bid? We are planning on staying there from 3/18 - 3/23. We checked the convention schedule, showing a convention that weekend of 60,000 attendees. We've never been to Chicago and are "rookies" at this priceline thing (learned everything about Priceline from this board!). I know nothing can be predicted or guaranteed, I'm just looking for some wise words of wisdom....thank you!

By the way, I continue to be really impressed with this board. Great advice and guidance. Thereuare and gang, you guys are awesome!

Flattery will get you everywhere :)

Here are a few threads on the subject of what you're trying to achieve:

DON"T Bid Higher for a Specific Hotel

Trying for a specific hotel

Best scenario is if thae hotel you dont want is showing sold-out on their website as that greatly reduces your chances of receiving it, but that's nothing we have control over and it's not a common occurance.

Hotwire is always a good option when there is a 'dog' hotel in the zone, and i believe that their zones in Chicago are sub-divided a bit more than Priceline's, but i'm not sure how competitive they will be for your dates.

PS- if you're impressed with the board now... wait 'til you see what's coming.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for your suggestions. I thought I had scoured all the info on this board, but your links were really helpful.

I decided to bid the first three nights (out of five) at priceline. We didn't mind changing hotel rooms once.

Figured I could live with the Hyatt if it came up for cheap. So here goes - for 3/18 - 3/21 (Thurs-sun), bid $50. Not accepted. Went up in $10 increments until I hit $90, then ran out of "free" re-bids. Had the person i'm traveling with try until $116 then quit. Looking at other websites for the Hyatt and others (Orbitz, Expedia, Hotels.com), it seemed like Saturday night was very booked if not sold out.

Time to change strategies. Checked out Hotwire for different dates (Sat - Tues, 3/20 - 3/23). Based on guidance from the chicago hotwire section of this board, it looked to me as if I could get Millenium knickerbocker for $127 per night. Seemed like a better location and hotel, so I went for it and got it.

Details: 4*, NMA area, amenities are restaurant, fitness, business center.

No. of Rooms: 1

No. of Nights: 3

Price Per Night: $127.00

Subtotal: $381.00

Taxes / Booking Fees: $58.95

Total Price: $439.95

Then went back to priceline for the first two nights to try again, since hotwire had prices of closer to $100 for those nights. Bid $60 for NMA area on the first try (got tired of losing bids the previous night), and got the Hyatt. The details: 4*, NMA area:

Your Offer Price: $60.00

Number of Rooms: 1

Number of Nights: 2

Subtotal: $120.00

Taxes & Service Fees:

$25.24

Total Charges: $145.24

Probably could've gotten the hyatt for cheaper, but it's still a better price than any 4* that hotwire was offering. Still very pleased!

Here is a link to the HOTWIRE HOTEL PURCHASE

Hope this helps someone else. I can't imagine what the BUZZ could possibly be...!

I'm just glad to see that you didn't pay $100+ for all the nites. Splitting the bid saved you at least $80+!! (not even to mention the big savings by using Priceline and Hotwire)

Enjoy your stay and thank you for sharing your bidding history and results.

PS- the BUZZ is out, it's the launching of the BETTERBIDDING HOTEL PRICE CHECKER, which if you'd like you can ask questions and talk about HERE.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]