Priceline Hotel: 4* or 3* downtown Toronto for May 4th 2007

happyforever
By happyforever,
in

Hi

I tried to bid on priceline last night for a night at 4* downtown Toronto but I wasn't successful. I started with $60 then my last bid was $70 but still not accepted. What is a reasonable price for a 4* downtown on a Friday in May? Considering there is still tax and it's in US dollars so I was thinking $100 CND is the most I would pay.

I have a few questions, should I wait til the date gets closer to bid to get a better price?

Are 3* hotels in downtown Toronto at better locations than 4* in general? (As in, we won't have a car and we would like to go to dinner at Hilton and then go clubbing after dinner). 3* or 4* would be better for me?

Please help.

thank you

I just tried to bid on priceline again for May 4th and $85US wasn't accepted. What would be a reasonable price?

Also, on priceline for 4* hotel there are 2 choice. Can you pleas help me to identify which hotel it is?

Downtown Toronto East $128 (retail is $228)

Fitness Center

Restaurants

High speed internet

Pools

Business center

Spa services

Downtown Toronto West Customer favourite $130 (retail $168)

Fitness Center

Restaurants

High speed internet

Pools

Business center

Spa services

I just bid again adding another zone and $87 is rejected. Isn't this a bit too expensive for the date? Did I do something wrong to get the price so high and still rejected?

Yes, bidding for a lower star hotel would be another choice. Do you think 4* and 3* in downtown toronto would be a huge difference? And if I am going to bid on 3*, what price should I start on?

thank you very much

Isn't this a bit too expensive for the date?
What are the rates you're finding at 4* hotels directly from the hotel websites for these dates? (use our BetterChecker to help your search.
Do you think 4* and 3* in downtown toronto would be a huge difference?
Difference in what sense? Price? Quality?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

What are the rates you're finding at 4* hotels directly from the hotel websites for these dates? (use our BetterChecker to help your search.

Difference in what sense? Price? Quality?

I just checked through the better checker you gave me and HOTWIRE is showing $129 and $128US for 4*Downtown Toronto West and East. 3* is $99US. I also checked for the next Fri. of the date I want and it's only $89. Is there something going on in the Toronto on the weekend I want???

Differences as in Quality, Location (as I have no cars so I'll need to be in the center of restuarants and pubs/clubs if I can) and price. If I was going to bid on 3* on the same date, what price should I start on?

Thank you!!!

A hotel offering rooms at $129 this weekend and $89 for the following weekend could have something as simple as a wedding booked this weekend and none the following weekend... the difference in prices that you're seeing are not that dramatic to imply that some major conference is in town driving up hotel prices and everything is selling out.

As well, HOTWIRE is an opaque supplier, so not a true indication of demand at a given hotel. As per above:

What are the rates you're finding at 4* hotels directly from the hotel websites for these dates?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

First i'd suggest looking at the previously reported hotels to make sure that anything 'known' is in a central enough location for you (our Priceline Maps are a good tool for this task as well).

If you are comfortable with a hotel anywhere in the zone let us know your maximum bid for a 3* we will suggest a strategy to follow.

PS- please use the standard font and colors for your posts... use colors/fonts to highlight anything you want to emphasize

Some ppl can get 4* on weekends for $67
For the same dates as yours?

You have to realize that rates are date specific and capacity controlled. Go browse the NYC forum and you'll find LOTS of winning bids for 4* hotels in Jan/Feb in the $120 and under range... those looking now for May dates are having trouble finding anything under $200!

You have two re-bid zones avaialble when bidding 3* in Toronto. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 3* Downtown...

Bid $50, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $55, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $60.

This will take you to your maximum bid.

Let us know how it goes or if you have any questions.

List each zone within Toronto and the highest star rating available in each zone. To determine the highest star level available in each zone, use the following technique from Priceline Re-Bidding Explained:

The way to check what star levels are available in each zone is to open a Priceline page, check ONLY the zone you are inquiring about, and then proceed to the next page (as if you were going to select a zone)... this will give you the available star ratings in that area. You can then hit BACK on your browser, uncheck the current box, check the next box, and repeat the process. It is important to do this before EACH attempt at adding a zone that you really don't want, as new hotels can be added and the star ratings can change at any time. (NOTE: for most users Priceline has updated their interface making the above process easier... simply check a zone and note the highest star rating available within each zone, UNcheck that zone and checkmark the next zone, repeating the process)

For example, downtown Toronto and north Toronto both are 4*. The rest are all 3*. Correct?
No, that's not correct.

Click the first zone (Brampton) and then scroll down and see the highest star rating avaiable in that zone.

Then scroll back up, UNcheck Brampton and check the next zone (Don Valley) so that now only Don Valley is checked.

Repeat this procedure noting the highest rating offered in each zone... making sure you UNcheck the previosu zone, so that each time you're looking at the highest rated hotel in the zone there is only one zone checked.

List your findings in a reply to this thread or ask questions if the above is still confusing.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]