Priceline Hotel: Finding a hotel for 6 in San Antonio 4/16 to 4/17

enggal1234
By enggal1234,
in

1. I want to find a hotel in San Antonio, Texas near AT&T center (close to downtown) because my husband is taking two of my children there to see a band. There are 6 of us, 4 children, 2 adults. I like us to stay in the same room (to save money and for safety) is this absolutely illegal or is it just a hotel policy thing? It is only one night after all, not a whole holiday.

2. I want to find a nice hotel to keep us "safe" I will be at the hotel with my smaller children while my husband takes our young teens to this concert. I think a higher star hotel will be safer. Would you say so?

Please help if you can, I am trying to do this quite cheaply as the concert is costing quite a lot as it is.

I am glad to have found this website and will deinitely use the savingsbarn link.

Jude

is this absolutely illegal or is it just a hotel policy thing?

It may be both.

Typically hotel rooms are not designed for six person occupancy and having so many in a starndard room would likely violate local fire codes (which is one of the reasons why a hotel would institute a maximum occupancy).

The next question is "will a hotel enforce this" and that i can't answer, other to say "some will... some won't". I do think you're much likely to have a problem then if you were four people and i do think it's definately stretching the limits.

What is your expected budget for a room for this trip?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I'm not sure what to tell you other than you have to be realistic in your expectations. I do think that putting six people in one standard hotel room is not realistic.

Where did you read the comments about the "$39 hotels being dirty and unsafe"... where they refering to those prices thru the opaque suppliers or thru traditional means? We sometimes see the La Quinta come up in the Downtown zone for $45 and less... but with the opaque suppliers there is no assurance that you will receive this particular property.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I am sorry, I do not mean to come off as being a snob, I had searched on the internet for hotels near AT&T and the ones that were coming up as $39 per night had bad reviews (Days Inn at AT&T Ctr and Super 8. I guess it will just be best to take one of them anyway as it is just for one night. I will definitely get two rooms too. Thanks for your help.

I didn't mean to imply (and i don't think i did) that you were being snobbish... i'd prefer to not be staying at a Super8 or a Days Inn either :)

The question was more so if that price was referencing rates made thru 'traditional' means (ie- the hotel website, Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, etc) or thru the opaque sites (ie- priceline, HOTWIRE, EasyClickTravel, etc)

The point was that the opaque providers often offer very deep discounts, where you might be able to get a hotel for $45 which typically goes for $89 (such as a La Quinta)... so i didn't know if the $45 was refering to Days Inn/Super8 type accomodations or if it was refering to 2* hotels thru Priceline or HOTWIRE.

Before resorting to the Days Inn/Super8 thru a conventional booking, i'd at last consider trying the opaque providers for a similar price... the best that can happen is you improve your accomodations for the same price... the worst that can happen is you get a hotel that you would have likely received anyway. I don't see any downside... but do see upside.

If you want to try this route let us know.

Thanks. I think going the opaque provider way is what I will do then. I will go ahead and try Priceline and see if I get lucky. Should I just put 2 stars then $45 and downtown and hope for the best for a week or so then go to Hotwire? Sorry for all the questions, thanks again for all your help.

FYI, we're a family of 5 (2 adults, 3 smaller children)... we've used Priceline and HOTWIRE extensively for many years now without incident. I will say though that since you're traveling with multiple ADULTS they may not be as lenient. In any case if you're looking to save a buck, given your situation, I'd recommend Hotwire... at least with them you can list 2 adults and 2 children and guarantee a room with 2 beds. With Priceline we've had to squeeze the clan into a room with only a single bed a couple of times (albeit this is the EXCEPTION... 90% of the time the hotel has been very accommodating and was more than willing to give us a room with two beds... the 2 times we got a room with only 1 bed the hotel literally ran out of 2-bed rooms).

Recommendation:

1) Book 2 rooms through whatever service you choose (slam dunk... but may not get the quality you want on a budget).

2) Book through HOTWIRE listing 2 adults and 2 children (and at least guarantee 2 beds).

3) Book through Priceline and simply "roll the dice".

Good luck!

I'm assuming the Downtown zone works fine for you... if so, i'd start by trying a 2* hotel for $35... if that's rejected (likely) post back if any other zones are acceptable. If other zones are acceptable we'll give you a strategy to try again immediately, if not, we'll proceed for another attempt in 24 hours.

Good Luck.

I wouldn't... just wait out 24 hours from your last rejeted bid and bid $45.

For the $6 difference is it worth not being in your prefered location?

If you fail at $45 you can then start over and consider other zone(s).

That's my opinion, but it's your stay and you know best what will/won't work for your needs.

Thanks for your input. I am actually considering two rooms as we have four children my husband will have to be in one room with 2 and I will be in the other room with 2. I am thinking of going HOTWIRE they have a 2* downtown San Antonio for $46 and I have failed with $46 downtown on Priceline. Like you say your children are smaller and two of mine are teens (13 and 15) and even two beds might be a squeeze.

Thanks again for your input. Happy travels :)

For help IDing hotels you'll need to include the full list of amenities that HOTWIRE associates with the property you're seeing (as well as the number of rooms and adults/children you're searching for)

Please remember to use this HOTWIRE link for your searches and purchases.

This property has not yet been identified, and 2* properties on HOTWIRE are in a very wide range. At best you're probably looking at a La Quinta or a Candlewood Suites type or property... at worst you may be looking at a Super8, Days Inn, or Travelodge type of property.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]