Priceline Hotel: 3* Pittsburgh (Downtown) Hilton

Agoust
By Agoust,
in

I bid $70 on a four-star hotel for the night of April 14; that was rejected. I added a rebid zone and upped to $80--that was rejected too. I downgraded to a 3* and bid $70--that was rejected.

Must be a busy night in downtown! Pittsburgh has loads of rebid potential, so I'll probably let a week or so go by and try again.

Trying to think of what would be going on then. The Pittsburgh downtown 3-stars really aren't that bad, although the Marriott could be seen as sorta inconvenient. Well, the Hilton is maybe still kinda bad until they're done renovating. But the Westin Convention Center isn't worthy of 4* anyway. The Ren is the one to get.

As you say, lots of rebidding options. Do they offer 2.5* bidding for downtown? The Courtyard downtown is only a couple years old, newly constructed (out of an old building, but a new hotel, not a conversion of a different hotel) and wouldn't be a bad option if they offer 2.5* bids. There are no other hotels downtown that could be offered as such. Maybe the Springhill Suites on the north shore by PNC Park, but that's it (and it's also new and would be a nice example of 2.5* which I assume would be its rating). Most city areas could be iffy for this level, but if offered for downtown Pittsburgh I can't really see a downside.

I didn't realize it was a weekend, which makes it all the stranger to me. Quick Travelocity shows Westin $249, Omni $249, Ren shows nothing available, Marriott, Hilton show nothing, Doubletree $259, Sheraton Station Sq at $229. $80 and $70 just might be a bit too low. Springhill North Shore is $169, Courtyard Downtown is $189.

Trying to dig around here. I see a bit of a perfect storm perhaps. Christina Aguilera at Mellon Arena, Jerry Seinfeld at Benedum Center (he's on for two shows on the same night) and a union solidarity night for the Pirates game http://www.iww.org/en/node/3221 (not sure if there's enough draw for the big hotels downtown, but it could draw some I suppose) Still doesn't seem like a lot, but there aren't that many rooms downtown, and these might be just enough to fill some hotels and jack rates at others.

You only need to let 2 days go by to try bidding the same thing again, so don't wait too long. My guess (not that I bid rooms in Pittsburgh, just based on various experiences) is that you could get a room with a few more bucks on either bid.

Actually, the lock-out period is now only 24 hours :)

I agree that Pittsburgh is usually cheap on the weekends, so not sure what is going on for this date, but something is driving up rates... even HOTWIRE only shows one hotel offered Downtown for this nite (it's a 4*) at $176!

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Ah, 24 hours, had forgotten that revision! Cool. So don't wait a week, wait a day and try again.

I noticed after my post that someone else did a 4-night stay that included April 14, and they had the Ren at $62. So it has either filled up since then, or it's an off day and you'll get a better price another day. That's always possible.

I also went to Priceline and see that they have 2.5* bidding and even 2*. Can't think of anything undesirable that would fall into the 2.5*. I'm guessing it would be the Courtyard and Springhill. Not sure what the 2* would be, apart from the Holiday Inn Express on 10th Street on the South Side. Even that is new and wouldn't be bad at all, but it's a bit out of their zone map if that's what they're thinking of. Anyway, I don't think you'll get them at a significantly lower rate. Priceline suggests 4* as "best deal", and they're probably right.

Give it another shot and good luck.

Thanks for trying your bids thru the SB links.

Something is going on for this date... the Marriott and Renaissance are both sold-out for your date, while the Omni and Westin are about twice as much as they are usually on weekend dates.

At the 4* level i think there is a chance that you could be successful at $100 or less, but not sure if you're willing to go that high or not.

If you try that high and are unsuccessful, or you don't want to bid that high, i'd book a cancellable back-up that you can live with (use or BetterChecker for help with searching) and then try more earnestly about 2 weeks before your stay. Depending upon your back-up, i'd probably try up to $100 now though just in order to "have it done".

Let us know what route you take and how it goes or if we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 2 weeks later...

I saw that Hotwire had a 3.5* for the night of April 14. They also listed a 4* for $165. Using the link at Savings Barn, I went to Priceline and bid $75 for a 4*--that was rejected. I then bid $65 for a 3*--this was successful.

Hilton Pittsburgh and Towers, 600 Commonwealth Place.

With tax and service fee, $81.88.

Thanks to the board!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]