Priceline Hotel: 3* NYC (MTW) Paramount

kelushka
By kelushka,
in

Hi,

I have extended my stay in New York, and will now be staying an extra 4 nights, from April 16th -20th. I won Morgans Hotel (MTS) 4/8-4/16 @ $185 per night, and am looking to save a little money for the final 4 nights stay (I've already paid enough extra changing my flights :) ). I am looking to stay in either MTW or Downtown/Soho this time around for something different. I was also considering bidding 3* for Brooklyn, and hoping to get the Marriott. I would probably prefer 4*, but would consider 3* if you feel that I would save considerably. Max budget this time will be $150 plus taxes and fees. Can you please suggest an appropriate bidding strategy, and also advise me on whether you feel Brooklyn is it all a possibility?

Thanks for your help.

Before suggesting a strategy i have to make a few comments...

Unless you have reason to spend time in Brooklyn i see little reason to stay out there. There are only a handful of hotels in the area and therefore little competition, we typically see very high rates in the Brooklyn area given the trade-off of not staying in Manhattan.

I would still try to stay in Manhattan, but i think your budget is going to be tough on these dates.... i would therefore include as many zones at possible (which means continuing to include MTS and also adding MTE and UM/CPS to the mix... i also wouldn't add Downtown until other zones have been exhausted (again, unless you have reason to be Downtown)). If you need to stick to your budget, i think Jersey City is a better option... but we'll cover this in more detail if you decide this is an option for you, as there are some caveats to be aware of when bidding this area.

It's your stay, so only you can decide what is right for you, but knowing the area very well, i figured i'd add my 2 cents.

Let us know your thoughts.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Hi!

The main reason why I was including Downtown in my options is because I am intending to go to gigs in LES & Soho at night (by myself). For that reason no area above Central Park would really be appropriate. Brooklyn was an option as I will also be going out to clubs etc during that part of my stay, but since it is going to be more expensive, I will just stick to Manhattan.

If I was to consider 3*, do you think that my budget of $150 may be enough for the Downtown area? The 3* there seem to have good reviews on Trip Advisor, whereas the other areas seem to have hotels whose reviews are more variable for this star level.

Appreciate any advice you may have :)

I'm doubtful you'd be successful at a 3* based upon current prices.

You do have some time so we can suggest a strategy for whatever approach you'd like to try first.

In the meantime i'd suggest booking a back-up, both of these seem like good deals at the moment (one within your budget, the other more):

The Pod Hotel private bath room for $155/nite (very small rooms, but clean and recently renovated)

Beekman Tower studio suite for $205/nite... big rooms with a kitchen and refrigerator.

Let us know how you'd like to proceed and we'll advise accordingly.

Have you tried extending your previous win for another 4 nites? (or not yet since over your desired budget?)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I already booked a back up at the Washington Jefferson for $190 per night a few weeks ago using the Quikbook link. Which is lucky because the room rates for that particular hotel have increased considerably on Quikbook recently. Howevere, in the end I don't really want to stay there, so closer to my departure dates if I have still not won anything I will increase my budget closer to this mark I guess.

I haven't tried extending my stay at the Morgans as I would prefer to be in a different location for the final 4 days just to get a taste of a different area of NY.

I guess perhaps we will go for a bidding strategy for 4 stars first knowing this far out from the dates I am unlikely to be successful.

Let's try $150. I know that it is extremely unlikely I'll get anything at that price this far in advance, but I'd still like to try if that is okay? Perhaps, to save you some time if you do the bidding strategy up to $175 max, then I can try just up to the $150 for now, and use the same strategy (increasing my bids) in the next few weeks.

I tried tried the Beekman link as well as the link to the Pod and both worked fine on this end... does either work for you now?

You have two re-bid zones when bidding 4* in NYC. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 4* MTW...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $130, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* Downtown...

Bid $130, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTE...

Select 4* MTW and Downtown...

Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $145, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTW and MTE...

Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $145, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select MTW and Downtown and MTE...

Bid $150.

Assuming the above fails, i wasn't sure if you wanted to added the last 2 zones at this point or would prefer to try again later at higher bid amounts so let's start with the above and we'll take it from there.

The Pod link works fine, but the Beekman link directs me to an easy click travel off the record hotel description...is that what I should be getting?

This is what the Beekman link is showing for me:

Studio Suite $169.79

1 Bedroom Suite $189.38

I think I understand now. It wasn't very clear before as the actual site itself (being an off the record hotel) makes no reference to the Beekman Tower :)

All good with the rebid zones :) I remember how to use them from my last win.

The bidding strategy without the extra zones will be perfect for now.

Thank You. I will be sure to start all my bids at savingsbarn.com

• 2 weeks later...

No, I haven't booked anything else. The Beekman looks fine, but I was worried about whether or not I have to pay with my credit card upfront on the easyclicktravel site? The problem is I use a VISA debit card for my Priceline bids, and would need to use this same card for the Beekman booking.... I've taken most of the money out of my account to buy a travelex card for my trip, so the amount in there wouldn't cover both charges :) My other credit card is only going to be for emergencies etc in the US.

Oh, and the other thing is when I got to book the Beekman it shows these charges :

Avg per night: $228.58

Rooms cost: $767.40

Taxes/Fees: $146.92

Total: $914.32

Whereas the description says $191.85 plus taxes...any ideas what has happened there?

Nevermind, I see now. They show the full cost including taxes as the avg per night. Bit of a silly way to do it.... but makes sense now.

Glad you finally found success and your plans are settled.

The Paramount actually has a very good location, with the biggest gripe being the <very> small rooms. Some have been able to upgrade for an additional fee ($30/nite i think) if that interests you... at least you know it's an option.

Thanks for using the SavingsBarn.com PRICELINE links to begin your bidding.

Enjoy your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]